Building Inspection Feedback

Hi all,

I'm a long-time lurker and first-time poster in WA. Somersoft has been really helpful to me throughout the whole research and buying process so thanks to you all for doing such a great job!

I'm in the process of buying my first property (PPOR for now) and the building inspector has raised the following concerns. Aside from the general cracks / need to repaint / some damp, I've noted the following. Are these issues worth raising with the vendor/REA?

1.0 Roofing uneven, likely long-term deflection at location of metal (Smith's truss)
2.0 Front carport gutter loose and dangling from fascia with water ponding
3.0 Timber barge missing at top level of carport
4.0 Kitchen cupboards loose at hinges - adjust, tighten and repair as required

From what I gather, building inspections generally paint a terrifying picture.

Thanks all :)

First thing to do is to phone and speak to the person who did the inspection. They are usually more realistic on the phone than their written report where they list every tiny thing, e.g., kitchen cupboard door hinges need tightening.

We received a building report with a long list of (fairly minor) faults. On phoning, the inspector cheerfully told us it was a "great house" and very good for its age.
Marg

Thanks for your reply Marg :)

Yes, I've spoken to the inspector and they sounded pretty happy with it.

The Pest Inspector found that there was "Extensive and severe damage was in the garage roof timbers." Because it wasn't picked up by the Building Inspector, is it safe to say this wouldn't be a structural issue?

The Pest Inspector found that there was "Extensive and severe damage was in the garage roof timbers." Because it wasn't picked up by the Building Inspector, is it safe to say this wouldn't be a structural issue?
No, it is in no way safe to say that. DANGER

No, it is in no way safe to say that. DANGER

+1 'Extensive and severe damage'

I just did one yesterday, and the worst line in the report is only: 'old tree stump in backyard may conceal termite activity, recommend to remove', while every lines about the house itself is a 'no'.

Thanks for the feedback.

Just to clarify, they noted "fungal decay caused by wood decay fungi," not termites. I'll have a chat with the building inspector tomorrow, hopefully it's not structural.

Fungi is absolutely a structural issue. Fungi grows on wet wood. If the roof timbers are wet they are more than likely decaying. If they are not decaying they will probably have distorted. Wood loses it strength when wet so I would be looking hard in this area. If I was to set out to bend a piece of wood I would wet it and then place something heavy on it. Never ignore mould or fungi they can pose serious health problems particularly to young and old. The Building inspector should have picked this up unless access was obscured and if so this should have been noted in his report.

I'm in the process of buying my first property (PPOR for now) and the building inspector has raised the following concerns. Aside from the general cracks / need to repaint / some damp, I've noted the following. Are these issues worth raising with the vendor/REA?...

Do you expect the vendor to fix them for you?

The houses is being sold as-is. By all means use the "defects" to justify your offer, but don't expect the vendor to fix them. After all, they want to sell the house not renovate it.

IMHO, make an offer that takes the defects into consideration, and be prepared to walk if it's not accepted.

I certainly don't expect the vendor to fix the wood rot for me (that wasn't in the contract, anyway). Currently waiting to hear back on a quote to fix the damage so I can adjust my offer accordingly.

Thanks for all your help. I'm clearly clueless when it comes to building issues (let alone other property-related matters) so it's been good to get honest comments on it.

I certainly don't expect the vendor to fix the wood rot for me (that wasn't in the contract, anyway). Currently waiting to hear back on a quote to fix the damage so I can adjust my offer accordingly.

Thanks for all your help. I'm clearly clueless when it comes to building issues (let alone other property-related matters) so it's been good to get honest comments on it.

One of the ways to make money is to find something that *looks* bad, so you can negotiate a good price, but you know how to improve it cheaply. This is adding value up front. (I negotiated a price drop on a car that was pulling to one side badly, that I knew would be fixed with just some air in the tires.)

In my experience, places that look dirty and smell terrible often only need a really good clean, new carpet and fresh paint to get back to full market value. It's hard and dirty work but being able to see diamonds in the muck pays off.

Back