Building while overseas

Hi All

We are heading overseas for a 6 week holiday in a little under a month however construction will start on our IP just after we fly out.

We're looking for some advice on things to look out for and prepare for before we go.

We've been advised by our home loan officer to prepare presigned letters for the bank to release the progress payments to the builder. We are going to leave these with my Dad to fax through. We're going to arrange for a relative who lives close by to inspect the building progress during our absence. We'll be taking the mobile with us and be checking email regularly. Also notified the builder of what we are doing.

Is there anything else we should consider? - apart from better timing :)

Thanks

Brays

If you have email, then documents can be scanned to you & signed if necessary. I am doing this now but my wife has an enduring power of attorney so she can sign on my behalf. It has got a bit complicated, as she had to sign her own name twice, to release the payments, as well as attach the EPA... It got sent back the first time as she only signed once. We set it up with our solicitor.

Maybe get the builder to send you through a weekly or fortnightly report/ photos to let them know you are still keeping an eye on it?
Steve

Hi there
photos by the relative inspecting the property are a very good idea - we built our property in Canberra whilst living in Toowoomba - and had we not had photos - a bad mistake would have been made in laundry joinery. We picked it up due to the photos and had the situation remedied before it was completed.
We also had a number of friends and relatives check the site for us - and also got to know the neighbours - so they could watch the property (from the theft point of view) for us.
thanks

Back