Building

W

WebBoard

Ratio of improvements vs land value
Date: 05 Oct 2000
Time: 15:07:08

A question for you seasoned campaigners.

What do you regard as a good ratio for value of house vs underlying land value? Also, does the answer differ when you've got land you intend to build a house on?

Ie what priced new house should you put on a block with land value of X?

To give some context to the question: the present situation is that I've got a house on a corner block which is subdividable etc. The new block would then fetch say $80-$100K (at present) leaving the house as is on about 16 perch. Property is in one of the eastern suburbs of Brisbane which is undergoing a degree of "gentrification" from old housing commission status.

Replica Queenslander style houses are going for $220k-$270K around this area - often on quite narrow (ie about 10m frontage blocks) - ridiculous I know! (Although you Sydney/Melbourne siders probably think this is dirt cheap!)

Given that my proposed new block will have more street frontage due to the corner position should I build a replica on it myself, preparatory to cashing in on this "greater fools" scenario re replica's on small blocks or should I just flog the land and retain the nice rental house on remaining block?

Appreciate your general and specific comments, rules of thumb and experience.

Cheers N.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Wife

Reply: 1

Re: Ratio of improvements vs land value
Date: 07 Oct 2000
Time: 05:37:03

Stick whatevers cheapest on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back