Built Strata/Survey Strata

Hi All
Am looking at development 3 unit site in Perth, am getting conflicting information and am new to the game.

Most seem to go Built Strata am told it is also the cheaper option.

Have another builder telling me that I should go Survey strata and that they are the same price because with the Built Strata you need to pay for an inspector to view the properties.

Confusing, anyone an expert on this, please help??

Cheers, MTR

Hi All
Am looking at development 3 unit site in Perth, am getting conflicting information and am new to the game.

Have another builder telling me that I should go Survey strata and that they are the same price because with the Built Strata you need to pay for an inspector to view the properties.

Cheers, MTR

are you talking villas here?

if so go the survey strata option imo unless we are talking absolute bottom of the pile in terms of affordability like say armadale where every dollar counts.

for the majority of villa developments i would absolutely do survey strata

are you talking villas here?

if so go the survey strata option imo unless we are talking absolute bottom of the pile in terms of affordability like say armadale where every dollar counts.

for the majority of villa developments i would absolutely do survey strata

Hi Sanj
OK, they are 3x2 villas around 145 sqm (includes double garage), I would say reasonable specs in Spearwood.

Thanks for help

Prop, thanks for link

Cheers MTR

What are the costs for each? I have 2 houses one title. The front house is existing and the rear was built survey strata last year

Hi All

Cheers, MTR

Hello

My understanding is

Survey strata- good if you want to subdivide first, revalue and pull equity to pay for the builds or for another purchase etc.

Built strata- saves alot of time as when you apply for approval for the buildings all the subdivision criteria needs to be met anyway to be approved.

Have you got a good surveyor on board yet or looking for one?

Cheers

I do built strata as you don't have to wait for survey strata to be done before commencing building - I think that was my understanding.

Built strata suits me and has worked well in my scenarios.

The only upside I could see to survey strata was if you want to revalue and pull out equity to get construction loans. But it takes around 3mths to go survey strata so you need to factor that in. You also can't change anything designwise once the survey strata is done as the block dimensions are set - whereas with built strata everything is done at the end so if the builder mistakenly puts a wall 10cm into what was to be the neighbors land then it is not a problem.

ORRRR blow the budget totally out of water and do built strata to get building licence while you run concurrently for survey strata titles with WAPC.

ORRRR blow the budget totally out of water and do built strata to get building licence while you run concurrently for survey strata titles with WAPC.

for what purpose out of interest? by the time you have been thru the survey strata wringer the properties would be finished and ready for sale. Do you see a diifference in valuation between built vs strata?

. You also can't change anything designwise once the survey strata is done as the block dimensions are set - whereas with built strata everything is done at the end so if the builder mistakenly puts a wall 10cm into what was to be the neighbors land then it is not a problem.

I think you may have had a bum steer there, myf.

you can change the sub plan a fair bit and vary lot areas up to 10% as long as you notify WAPC ahead of applying for titles.

our west pde 'battleaxe' is now flipped and all okay.

So with a built strata does the builder organize all the requirements like underground, sewage, headworks etc that you would normally organize yourself in a survey strata.

For my project its taken me 6-8months to survey strata, and then about 12 months to build including DA approval. I signed with the builder about a month ago and I'm just about to apply for titles with land gate now so all up the process will take me about 18months ( i know a bit long for a retain and build, but its my first project and i did need the to draw on equity from the back section to fund construction)

what sort of timeframe can you expect from the a built strata?

I think you may have had a bum steer there, myf.

you can change the sub plan a fair bit and vary lot areas up to 10% as long as you notify WAPC ahead of applying for titles.

our west pde 'battleaxe' is now flipped and all okay.

Plenty of bum to steer here :)

Noted in my brain - thanks!

So with a built strata does the builder organize all the requirements like underground, sewage, headworks etc that you would normally organize yourself in a survey strata.

For my project its taken me 6-8months to survey strata, and then about 12 months to build including DA approval. I signed with the builder about a month ago and I'm just about to apply for titles with land gate now so all up the process will take me about 18months ( i know a bit long for a retain and build, but its my first project and i did need the to draw on equity from the back section to fund construction)

why did you do all that as oposed to just launch into a built strata? that's a long developemnt time considering the building industry is quiet.

why did you do all that as oposed to just launch into a built strata? that's a long developemnt time considering the building industry is quiet.

Its my first IP project and first Development so i had no idea what i was doing really only starting to learn the ins and outs now as I'm going through the process.

for what purpose out of interest? by the time you have been thru the survey strata wringer the properties would be finished and ready for sale. Do you see a diifference in valuation between built vs strata?

Marginal difference if anything, just cleaner if you are going to keep one and sell the rest.

You can organise all that yourself still or the builder can do it - depends on how it's all financed.
Now I think this is the how it works - more experienced people can ammend - With built strata you lodge a survey plan with the council when you do DA, then build then at the end you get council to do an inspection and a BA15 (or is it 16). When they sign that off you apply to Landgate for your titles. Varies on the council but should be about 4-6 weeks after Handover.

I do built strata as you don't have to wait for survey strata to be done before commencing building - I think that was my understanding.

Built strata suits me and has worked well in my scenarios.

The only upside I could see to survey strata was if you want to revalue and pull out equity to get construction loans. But it takes around 3mths to go survey strata so you need to factor that in. You also can't change anything designwise once the survey strata is done as the block dimensions are set - whereas with built strata everything is done at the end so if the builder mistakenly puts a wall 10cm into what was to be the neighbors land then it is not a problem.

I'm assuming you mean the neighbour on the strata plan? It it is the adjoining landowner to the original/parent lot you will have big problems.

I'm currently planning a triplex in Balga WA, I'm building to hold and rent out, not to sell. I want to find the fastest path to completion. Up until yesterday I thought that would be build strata, but then got some conflicting advice. So now I'm confused.
Assuming you don't run into problems like the builder making a mistake with boundaries etc., is build strata faster than strata survey, or is there no difference?

I'm currently planning a triplex in Balga WA, I'm building to hold and rent out, not to sell. I want to find the fastest path to completion. Up until yesterday I thought that would be build strata, but then got some conflicting advice. So now I'm confused.
Assuming you don't run into problems like the builder making a mistake with boundaries etc., is build strata faster than strata survey, or is there no difference?

Hi Freogirl,

With built strata, you can start building in 4-5 months. With survey strata, you have to wait for atlest 8-9 months.

Built strata - you build first and then apply for subdivision
survey strata - you apply for subdivision and once its apporved, you get to build.

If intention is to build ASAP, built strata is the way to go.

Back