Bungled Auction?

Went to an auction yesterday around the corner from our PPoR. It is a similar type of configuration to ours; 4 bed, 3 bath and bay views etc, and since we are in the process of reno-ing to sell, it was of interest to get an idea of value.

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bi...t=&header=&cc=&c=43122780&s=vic&tm=1257752111

The outcome - to me - was a bad one for the owners, and I reckon the agent stuffed it up. The current owners paid $900k for this property 2 years ago - paid too much, but they wanted it and spent more than they needed to. I'm guessing they just want their money back and get out.

For a start, it's not a really unusual or inspiring property architecturally, and is in '80's decor. Nothing to spend, neat and tidy and in good nick, but definitely not your ultra-chic modern style house as you might be able to tell from the link.

Brick, exposed beams, too much cream and stained glass and flowery tiles, but spotless. I would reckon about $70k to bring it up to today's tastes. Very "nanna" taste. To me, the furniture looked rented for the occasion.

Here's the scene; the agent announces at the beginning of the auction that "the owners are very keen to sell due to illness, and would really like to sell today."

The bidding is opened, and there are no bids, so the agent proceeds to make an opening Vendor's bid - $870k. :eek:

No-one counters, and the agent goes to the Vendor for instructions. Comes back, starts again with the Vendor bid, and it gets passed in with no further activity.

Very sad for the elderly owners to get no result, and I reckon they were always asking too much, but that's my opinion. I thought it was worth about $750k.

Now, to me; the better strategy would have been to have a private sale - no auction at all - but they did - so I reckon they should have started with a Vendor's bid of say; $600k to at least inspire some activity, and then try to get the price up.

They could always pass it in if the reserve wasn't reached, and then try to negotiate with the highest bidder, but they blew everyone out of the water with that opener I reckon.

What do you think?

Could just be the instructions form the owners.

This is part of the problem possibly.

But, if I was the agent, and if I was really out to get the best result for my Vendor, and I had two elderly Vendors who wanted to have an auction, and there was no interest leading up to it, I'd be trying to get them to go private sale as the auction would be a waste of time.

After all; the agent is supposed to be the professional (and this lady has been in the industry here in our area for 20 odd years) and advise their client on the best strategy.

I think the agent knew there were no serious bidders so threw in the towel.

Yeah, could be.

I hope not though.

What surprised me was she came back out after consulting with the Vendors, and never at any stage said the house was "on the market".

Considering they were supposedly keen to sell that day, you reckon they would have at least tried that tack.

They can't say it's on the market if there were no bids.
When it's on the market it means the vendors will sell at the price already reached in the auction.

Vendor bids can sometimes be crazy.
I went to one auction where there were a few people bidding.
The last bid was (I forget the price) say $400K. Agent spoke to the vendor and they put in a vendor bid of $420K. The bidder started to walk out the door. They did a double take. Running around. Grabbed the bloke. Spoke to the vendor and dropped the hammer at $400K.
If no-one else is bidding what's the point.
I saw your situation happen on a real estate show on TV too. I thought that was strange also.

I understand some of the logic of a vendor bid, but I wish they were banned and think they should be. If anyone could share some more info on them it would be great!

Went to an auction last weekend. opened at $265k then counter at $275. Then a vendor bid of $295k, I was shocked to then see the person that bid at $275k bid $296k?!?! property was then passed in - and later sold.
Why would you up your bid on a vendor bid, surely that just weakens your negotiation after the auction - they know you are willing to pay $296k now.

IMO I think that the reserve should have to be at or below the advertised price - if the auction reaches that price it has to sell. None of this negotiation after the auction to try and squeeze a few more dollars out - the market has spoken, hasn't it?
Guess anything to get the vendor more $$$

Had an auction in our neighbourhood a few weeks ago. Advertised $700-750k.

A gaggle of us neighbours formed part of the crowd, and we were debating whether they would even get to $750k advertised....

Anyway, auctioneer comes out, does his spiel - and opens with a vendor bid of $800k :eek: asking for rises of 20.

Stunned silence from crowd (especially us neighbours)

Auctioneer without much of a pause goes for a vendor bid of $820, still looking for 20.

We're thinking this guy is nuts.

Still silence....

Auctioneer goes for another Vendor bid at $840.

What the.... :confused:

Auctioneer announces final vendor bid before passing it in at $860..... :eek:

(all this in a space of 5 minutes or so?)

Propoerty is passed in.

Crowd disperses, neighbours remain to debate whether that was the most rediculous auction in suburb history (with comments such as "If they got that sort of price, my place is up for sale next week!"). Let's face it, could have at least started at $650 or something....

About 30 minutes into the debate (after telling every passerby what had just transpired), auctioneer walks out and puts a sold sticker on the sign!!! :eek:

Obviously someone walked in post auction (we knew there were alien cars around, but had assumed they were the agents')

A neighbour shouts out: "What did it sell for?"
Auctioneer: "$863!"
Neighbour: "My house is that one - want to come over and have a look?" :D
Another neighbour: "And mine's that one!"
etc, etc

Cheers,

The Y-man

That's an unusual scenario Yman and wouldn't happen often. Sounds like a very emotional purchase.

The reason agents love passing in on a high vendor bid is so they can tell prospective future buyers (and put in auction results) "the property was passed in at $860k" and use that as a price negotiating point. When it wasnt at all as the market never bid that high.

Looks a lot better than "passed in at $700k". In fact a lot of agents carry out auctions for this sole purpose.

Its another RE rort. Just like vendor bids. Why have vendor bids? The vendor isn't bidding to buy their own property. Another joke. And to have three is ridiculous but it serves the agents purpose. (as above)

Evand i know you like to profess to know all about the real estate industry but you are wrong on this one.

Agents will open with a high vendor bid if they know that there will be not enough competition at the auction to carry the bidding past the reserve price.

Its not done for for listing purposes, I have never come across anyone in my office trying to list a property off the back of a passed in price. That is ridiculous.

auctions suck because the vendor can bid - distorts market value.

Certainly does, when I was a kid my old man took a truckload of pigs to the Croydon market, things were quite so he threw in a couple of vendor bids.
Well, he got top price for them, but then we had to load them back on the truck and take 'em home.:D

I think if vendors and agents want to play vendor bids, if the vendor bids above the reserve and remains the highest, then the agent should be entitled to their commission, as they have obtained a price above the reserve.:)

Are you allowed to have multiple vendor bids?

I was under the impression that only one is allowed.

Maybe this is a state/territory variable?

g

Are you allowed to have multiple vendor bids?

I was under the impression that only one is allowed.

Maybe this is a state/territory variable?

g

In Vic you can have as many as you like as long as you declare them, but you can't go over the reserve

Cheers,

The Y-man

Its not done for for listing purposes, I have never come across anyone in my office trying to list a property off the back of a passed in price. That is ridiculous.

Actually, we had to do this in effect because for 3 of our properties we sold, there was no bid (2 of them had no bidder nor spectators - as in empty street!). At least the VB hid the fact that there wasn't ANY interest whatsoever on the day...

Cheers,

The Y-man

No - because when a property is passed in by vendor bid it is reported as being passed in on vendor bid. So people will automatically know there was no interest.

My experience is different (and advice from RE agents) and you can have your opinion and i'll have mine. Cool. :)

Agents will open with a high vendor bid if they know that there will be not enough competition at the auction to carry the bidding past the reserve price.

Actually, we had to do this in effect because for 3 of our properties we sold, there was no bid (2 of them had no bidder nor spectators - as in empty street!). At least the VB hid the fact that there wasn't ANY interest whatsoever on the day...

Cheers,

The Y-man

Why did you have an auction if there was no interest?

Back