Burwood VIC

If you want to buy a Victorian era sized block, you may as well move to a quality inner suburb such as Richmond, Nth Melb, Port Melbourne, Albert Park, Middle Park, Windsor etc.
At least these have Victorian architecture, proven capital growth, limited supply - excessive demand as well as infrastructure galore.
Remember rule 101 of PI, land goes up, buildings go down.

Hi Y-man,

I’m always impressed by your property sourcing skills, but comparing Mitcham to Burwood? You’re reaching a bit I think. Just saying Burwood is much, much better than Mitcham.

Hi Y-man,

I’m always impressed by your property sourcing skills, but comparing Mitcham to Burwood? You’re reaching a bit I think. Just saying Burwood is much, much better than Mitcham.

I thouroughly agree that Burwood closer to Warrigal Rd and beyond is a totally different kettle of fish....However, I just feel where the Interia project is (the old RVIB site) is really more "Burwood East" than Burwood - in fact I was quite surprised to discover it was actaully within Burwood from this thread!

As such - it's not got direct city transport other than the 75 tram - which takes 6 hours.... ok not quite.... but a long time to get to town, unless you interchange to a train at Hartwelll etc. Otherwise it's a bus to Box hill then train.

The properties I put up on the other hand are either within reach of the station (with express trains to the city) or the 90x series of smartbuses to the city via the Eastern Fwy.

Burwood Plaza is being extended and developed - but I am not sure you could compare to say Eastland or Centro Box Hill....

The only thing Interia really has got going for it is Deakin almost next door - it may mean the area turns into a "student town" - although probably not, as no real amenities within easy walking distance (Such as you find in say Clayton for Monash, Box Hill for the TAFE, etc).

The Y-man

Yea..Burwood is much closer to CBD..

Look at this map: http://australand.taguchimail.com/media/1/1271657247-8aa9d9cb.jpg

By the way Alanrrll, I am in no way saying you made a bad or wrong decision to buy in the project - as this is your PPOR, YOU have to like it - what anyone else thinks from an investment property perspective is completely irrelevant.

If you have signed up for a purchase already, you are most likely having "buyer's remorse" and unfortunately we are making it worse for you (sorry! :eek:)

The Y-man

Burwood actually isn't that close to the CBD - Toorak road is always slow/full and there aren't any freeways directly next to the suburb. Having said that, it's an OK place I suppose

The Burwood Heights shopping area is just 5-10 mins walk from Interia...

Good exercise climbing up that hill in 5 minutes :)

The Woolies there is OK, and the medical centre on the corner of Middleborough abd Bwd Hwy is handy - open 7 days dawn till dusk and bulk bills.

The Y-man

That actually the East Burwood Shopping centre - well atleast it was when I lived 5 minutes walk 20 years ago (I grew up there)

Yman - yes burwood actually starts from middleborough rd between burwoon highway and Eley Rd. Burwoods name has reduced considerably since they had to give alot of the area back from the camberwell takeover 10 ten years ago.

I think this site has to be developed (no matter that will be a big or small shopping centre) due to the activity centre policy by the council, so why not buy before the surrounding amenities being developed, rather than wait until all the things get in and the price gone up??

That actually the East Burwood Shopping centre - well atleast it was when I lived 5 minutes walk 20 years ago (I grew up there)

Yman - yes burwood actually starts from middleborough rd between burwoon highway and Eley Rd. Burwoods name has reduced considerably since they had to give alot of the area back from the camberwell takeover 10 ten years ago.

I grew up 5 minutes from those shops too. I remember when Safeway came along because it meant the end of the big top circus coming to Burwood. Then most of the RVIB got sold off and the carnival rides were gone as well. That's progress for you.
Is it still a dry area as in no pubs. That was part of the reason my folks moved there in the early 60's when Burwood Hwy was a dirt road. I hated the fact the closest pub was the Bloodbath Burvale.

I grew up 5 minutes from those shops too. I remember when Safeway came along because it meant the end of the big top circus coming to Burwood. Then most of the RVIB got sold off and the carnival rides were gone as well. That's progress for you.
Is it still a dry area as in no pubs. That was part of the reason my folks moved there in the early 60's when Burwood Hwy was a dirt road. I hated the fact the closest pub was the Bloodbath Burvale.

I wish to have a look of the old pics how Burwood looked like...

Geez - we arrived in 1970 (i wasnt born yet) - still lots of vacant blocks, apple orchards etc..

The Burv was ok. My mother actually worked there as a recptionist when i was in my early years. The footballers used to stop there on a saturday night on the way back from VFL park and we would sometime get a phone call from her telling us to come in with our autograph books. So in our Jarmies dad would pop us in the Toyota carrola and we would go down see mum and try and get autographs.

The bouncers at the Burv were pretty crazy though. One of them was a well known prize fighter Leo King who you didnt wanna mess with.

The area had three great attractions - 1 first Kmart in Vic, 2 FIrst Mc Donalds in Vic (moutn waverly) 3, First Drive in Movie joint...(i think it was the first drive in)

Saw elephant man as a kid and crapped myself....still scared! lol.

3, First Drive in Movie joint...(i think it was the first drive in)

Yep the drive-in was the first in Australia, was a test bed to gauge popularity of the concept. Apparently the ppl who lived on

History = http://www.drive-insdownunder.com.au/australian/vic_burwood.htm

Some old photos in link

Pretty funny to read ppl living one street behind the drive-in where wired in for sound since they could see the screen from their backyard so they wont complain about the traffic issues at night.

I wish to have a look of the old pics how Burwood looked like...
I will give my mum a call and see what she has in one of her many photo albums.
I can just remember the tram line being built between Station St and Middleborough Rd.
Actually I just remembered we used to hold onto the back of the trams while riding our pushbikes up the hill. You learnt to keep your wheels out of the tracks pretty quickly. Tram conductor used to go off his nut though.

Just received email from Australand:

Release 1 & 2
The demand for homes at Interia Burwood has been overwelming! Only 2 homes out of 35 remain in the first two releases. The two remaining homes are both Bratice's. A stylish 3 bedroom home with clever design features. Purchase now to take advantage of stamp duty savings!

Construction
Construction is well underway with the homes quickly taking shape and is currently running to schedule despite the recent record breaking rain.

Bronte Park Release
The next release at Interia Burwood are homes with exclusive entry off Bronte Avenue in the Bronte Park Release. Homes in this release take advantage of the impressive Bronte Park perfect for residents enjoyment! The release also features larger 4 and 5 bedroom family homes so keep an eye on your inbox, we'll be sending a detailed email closer to the release date.

Back