Business Excellence Framework (BEF)

Our organisation had our second BEF assessment this week and it got me questioning how many forumites would be interested or across the principles of BEF. It occurred to me that alot of us would be practicing them without possibly realising. I say that because it would fit with the profile of people seeking best practice in what they do in everyday life including being successful property investors.

Any one out there know about BEF and practice it in there workplace or otherwise?

What does the "excellence" part relate to; profit margin, customer relations, operating systems, etc - something specific?

Or is it an overall holistic view?

Sounds like a new and fancy name for Best Business Practices (last decades buzz phrase).

If you wanted to stay in business, whatever name you call it by, you'd be doing "it".

Sorry, but I'm not one for new fangled names and titles for old fashioned policies and ways of doing, just to make them seem new and fresh.

No no way

The above link was about curriculum and (accreditation was implied which is what health care needs = accredited for 3 years).

Cheers
Sheryn

I implied moreso the general 'theme' of the thread.

Meetings, more meetings, more discussion, presentations, follow up emails, etc, etc, etc, etc.....round and round in circles we go!!

Does anyone else have this problem in their own jobs - where the focus seems to be being taken away from from the main ball game??

I'm all for introducing methods that improve outcomes, but the problem with many of these 'programs' are they sound great but don't improve much of anything in the long run.

Perhaps BEF is different and there are independent reports of measurable outcomes.

I had never heard of it until this thread.
My concern is when I googled it, most of the links were for government departments, who had used it.
If a "business" framework is not being used extensively in the corporate world, I would imagine its not as useful as it could be.
But my knowledge of the framework is purely limited to the google search I did...

Hello all

I have been in twice to answer the question - what is BEF and by the time I had finished the reply, I had timed out. Lets hope I have more luck this time. Any suggestions on how to prevent this incase it happens again will be welcomed :)

To answer Penny's question first. Yes, it does seems to bring up a lot of govt centric responses, however, it is applicable to businesses of all sizes and structures.

Is there proof that the BEF works for business?

Extensive research was carried out in Aust and overseas by SAI global and it clearly demonstrated that significant business improvements will result from implementing the BEF.

In 2003, SAI Global commissioned SIRCA, a financial services research organisation, to conduct a study on all ASX listed Australian Business Excellence winners. The research produced the the Business Excellence Index, which compares the performance, over 16 years, of the ASX listed BEF winners against the ASX All Ords Index.

Business Excellence Award-winning organisations outperform the Australian All Ords by over 3 to 1.

I have seen it used in private health services but mainly in local government.

I will post this and answer what BEF is under another post so I hopefully dont time out.

Hi again

I hadnt used the preview button before but that seemed to have fixed my timing out issue :)

BEF is an integrated leadership and management system that describes the elements essential to sustainable organisational excellence. It can be used to assess and improve any aspect of an organisation. The BEF looks at 'how are we really performing as an organisation, what are we good at, what do we need to improve?

This will sound familiar to those that have looked at other Quality Management Systems and the more familiar one may be ISO 9000 series.

There are 7 categories of the BEF - Leadership, Customers, Strategy, People, Process Management Improvement and innovation, Information and Knowledge and Success and Sustainability.

Under these 7 categories there are sub-categories that are linked together and the success of the organisation relies on it having sound system and processes in place in all seven. Each category is weighted with a value and you score in each category and that is totalled to give you the organisation's overall score.

The annual self-assessment will show where you are doing well and where you need to put more effort.

In each category you continue to look at your approach to business, deploying the business excellence principles throughout the organisation, the results it has gained and where you need to make improvements.

It is a system based on continual improvement.

Can be hard work but if you are a systematic person it an be a very rewarding challenge with proven outcomes.

Hello all

I have been in twice to answer the question - what is BEF and by the time I had finished the reply, I had timed out. Lets hope I have more luck this time. Any suggestions on how to prevent this incase it happens again will be welcomed :)

When logging in *tick* the remember me button next to your username and password?

Back