Business Lending - Dried up or is it possible to still get a loan?

Hey SSers

Parents have been trying to secure a small business loan for a while and nothing is coming back! They are seeking approx 30-40k for the purchase of a restaurant (which also allows room for a repaint and a few minor additions)

The purchase price is well below replacement value (initial setup 400k, still valued conservatively at 100k) - hence loan is small, yet all lenders we've approached will only treat it as an unsecured loan and then for various reasons won't lend. Parents currently have required serviceability but will quit current jobs to operate this business and can show that the business can and will be profitable, they also have a strong history in the industry...but no love from the lenders...

would appreciate anyone's thoughts, other then grabbing a few credit cards and cash advancing??

Cheers
Josh

Last edited:
Yeh that's the way we see it...there's no security to offer...the value in the equipment is irrelevant as is any potential in the business...nonetheless I would have thought it was more 'secure' so to speak then an unsecured personal loan...

id look to seek a private investor and off them a charge on the business.

You might find an angel there somewhere that will take on the risk and inject some cash and belief

ta
rolf

My son wanted a similar amt for a small biz last year. Anything offered was usurious so I had to get it from my own LOC. I was better off that way than going guarantor anyway.... more control.

Back