Business Owners - online searches, soc media

talk to rackspace re cloud hosting. good product which provides scalability instantly when you need it and pay based on compute cycles.

go to a site like www.fiverr.com if you want 2,000 likes in a week. easy and only costs $5

Well here's my take:
Did a workshop the other day. Just want you to know what I know.

Google search is changing. Moving from searching strings of words to searching social media.

Google never stopped changing, and my sites have been getting more organic traffic than ever.

So it is the keywords in the content of your pages that bring you up in the ranking. (not SEO search engine optimisation)
Well that's just part of the SEO process.

ESSENTIAL:
Twitter - drive traffic to your site. Use #hashtags! Snappy headlines. Be a resource for knowledge in yr field, add value for clients
Google+ will be more important than FB for in coming up in searches/rankings
Fbook - drive traffic to yr site. Sep for personal/business (obviously!)
Linked in - join groups and participate
LOL sure, useful yeah, ensential? nah
Twitter can be very time consuming and crap ROI for most types of biz models.

ALSO RANS;
Foursquare - location based twitter, upload pix from your conf/workshop/work in progress as it happens
Youtube channel - video testimonials are HUGE
Flickr - photos of works as they happen (signwriting/panel beating job)
RSS feeds for clients (source of knowledge)
Youtube kinda, but not really. Very low ROI

Pre social media........ searches were keywords and backlinks
vs
post social media........ trends, timing, influence others referals
Fancy crappola, all of the above always applied.

Unique visitors x time period is what counts, then pageviews (also per UV).
A lot of people doing stuff at once will put a load on resources, and if your CPU is at 100%, the experience on the other end can't be all that great.

As for hosting, a hostgator plan at $5 mth will host any starting site and it's easy to upscale.
I use a reseller play for a myriad of small to smallish sites and there seems no problems. From zero to site is 10-15k Uniques mth and around 9G of data.

Evand looks you you been learning about this stuff last few years :) we should get together for a coffee and a chat... ok cannoli and gelato as well.

Hah, been talking about this facebook like thing with a bunch of other web developers and everyone is actually in agreeance. Most websites seem to get a handful of likes a month if you're lucky. Then you have websites that appeal to the facebook crowd and those sites get dozens to hundreds of likes a day, and of course the vast majority of traffic on those sites is from facebook rather than google. The consensus was that clients insist on every sharing widget known to mankind on their websites but the reality is they don't get used.

Strikes me as quite logical, really. And boring business brochureware sites are definitely not in the list of sites that get squillions of facebook likes, its sites with actual interesting shareable content that get the likes.

Also, my server load problems seem to have vanished with a reverse proxy in front installed over the weekend. Yay, don't need to spend more money on a host just yet :D

Back