Buy in Kensington?

Have been considering buyinga 2 bed 2 bath in Kensington (Liv Apartments). The layout, and size of the apartment seems reasonable for its price point - AUD490k. It's a development by Becton. Any thoughts out there on whether I should proceed?
I'm an overseas investor who can only purchase off the plan / new properties.

kensignton is a very good area, close to CBD. however i am unsure if this is a reasonable price as i am not famliar with the prices in the area.

hopeflly someone else can help you

If you're interested in this set of apartments, please be aware that there will be some buildings dedicated to social housing within the same compound. Meaning, the government will rent out these social housing apartments to those that need assistance.

A friend of mine is interested in this set of apartments, so I just tagged along for curiosity's sake.

good area but lots of new apartments going up and many are crap, would be a bit careful, the off the plan criteria makes it tough for you to get something decent at a fair price,

can you look for smaller developments a bit further out?

Existing housing commission blocks?

If you're interested in this set of apartments, please be aware that there will be some buildings dedicated to social housing within the same compound. Meaning, the government will rent out these social housing apartments to those that need assistance.

A friend of mine is interested in this set of apartments, so I just tagged along for curiosity's sake.

Hi Mazda

Are you referring to the existing housing commission blocks further down the road? I was not aware of any other social housing buildings within the building itself. If so, this is not a desirable building to buy into?

All information is very much welcome as the agent is currently hounding me on my decision! Thanks!

there are commision flats there but they tend to be older residents. the price for the location seems ok. good access for public transport. you have some heavy industrial factories very close by, look off dynon rd. one thing that puts me off the whole area is the general high densitiy of it but that is just me.
dont make a pressed decision there are plenty of inner city developments happening

In addition to the already existing housing commission flats nearby, it is my understanding that there are going to be some blocks within the same compound dedicated to social housing.

All blocks will have the same outer facade, so there's nothing designating 'private apartment' from 'social housing apartment'.

It is a pretty location, very close to some shops and two train lines. But yeah, my friend is reconsidering. :eek:

Meggala, yes there are some industrial offices / shops nearby. Drove past them while going to the display office.

Kensington gets a big tick

Social housing/housing commission flats are permanent fixtures in Melbourne's inner landscape. Richmond, Prahran/Windsor, South Melbourne, Collingwood even the leafy Albert Park all have them. I accept that one might prefer not to purchase in the immediate area of these, but it wouldn't put me off the areas as a result.

Chrissy I realise you are an o/seas investor so your property choices maybe restricted.

For everyone else, for what its worth, the best parts of Kensington imo is the area bounded by Epsom Rd to the west, Macauley Rd to the south right up to Bellair Street / train line to the east. Beautiful period homes, quintessential inner city suburb streets, and you are 2 train stations from Southern Cross/City Loop. On the immediate east side of the train track is also a goer.

Alternatively if you look at the west side of Epsom Rd (which is now Flemington), Bangalore Street, The Ridgeway, Bayswater RD, Westbourne Streets also offer some great properties, although as you go further away from Epsom Rd you go down the hill, as Epsom Rd is almost the highest point in the immediate area.

Hi all

Thanks for your thoughts on the matter. I am rather edgy at the moment about the thought of having social housing in the same block as I am! Whilst I am ok with existing housing commission flats being round the corner, I do find it rather strange that they would locate social housing within a new complex?? I am trying to get some more information out of the real estate agent, but they're not very forthcoming on the information front :p

If I do not buy Liv Kensington, any recommendations for inner city off the plan apartments I should be considering? I'm looking at a price point of below AUD500k for a 2 bedder, can be 1 or 2 baths, with a car park.

Thanks!

Any reason why it has to be off the plan?

Some fantastic older style 2 bed units in places like Brunswick for similar price with ability to value add.

I'm an overseas investor, hence, can only buy off the plan.

Mazda, have checked with the real estate agent - the social housing in the complex appears to be aged care, which allays my fears slightly, as I think that older residents are pretty good neighbours? :)

Any further thoughts on this property? I think I'll be going ahead with this purchase otherwise - many thanks for all the constructive feedback thus far!

Back