Buyer Beware - Car Purchase

Sorry its quite lengthy

Approx 2 years ago now, hubby was looking to purchase a dual cab 4x4 after an uninsured driver failed to give way and slammed into him riding our former ute off.

An Aside
We were already wounded from the insurance payout. 2 weeks before the accident we paid to have the ute put on gas (2k after rebate) - we did not update our insurance company. We also paid the insurance renewal without reading the small print. It was the first time we went agreed value and not market value. The ins co changed the 'agreed value' to 5k when 12mths ago it was 8800 when we had purchased the car. Becasue I paid the renewel I agreed to that 5k value. Lesson learnt!
Police think justice is the driver getting a $300 fine for failing to give way.

Back to the purchase
8mths later hubby is still looking. So this ute comes up on car sales. Hubby takes mate down to test drive and check it out (normally I go). Seller does RWC, hubby catches trains to pick up (3.5hrs away) and hands over the cheque and collects the paperwork - gets home really late.

Next morning I check out the ute. Big rips in seat underneath the car seat covers, big dint in the side. Previously unoticed by hubby (it was dark when he looked at it with his mate he says). I read through the RWC and see that some items did not have the box ticked. I asked hubby and no he did not check this at handover. I said Vic Roads are not going to allow the transfer if this is not complete.

By this stage hubby is mighty cheesed off with me. He has his new pride and joy and I am the big bad negative wolf who is nit picking at everything and I was told "next time you buy the car!" But my 6th sense was on fire! We get in the ute to head down to VicRoads to do the offical transfer when I read that the name on the paper work is different to the seller hubby dealt with. I am feeling sick at this stage. I look for the log books - none! The manual is in there but it has a different rego written on it. Hubby still shity thinks I am just being a b**ch. And he was mighty p*****d off.

Still fossicking through the little compartments I find a stack of business cards the name matching the paperwork. While hubby is driving us in to town I text the number on the business card asking if he had a Triton Ute rego XXX. He rings back - yes he did own the ute but he sold it 4mths earlier for 1/3 price we had just paid - that name was different again from the seller. I asked how may k's and it was in 400's. Clock said 180's. I said thank you very much and then turned to hubby and said. Go straight to the bank. The cheque was handed over at 6pm the night before it was 9.30am if we were lucky he hasn't banked it yet. We went to our normal branch but hubby organsied cheque from the other branch so we had to head across town. Short version we stopped the cheque and money was transferred from holding account back to our savings.

Next stop Police station - becasue if the guy goes to bank cheque and it bounces he may report his car stolen. It may not even be his car. Police were not interested in the crime of altering a spedometer becasue they wouldn't waste their valuable time trying to prove the exact culprit. Becasue we stopped the cheque no crime / fraud had been committed and anyway it was a civil matter - not a Police Matter. We were gobsmacked!

So still in the Police Station hubby rings the seller and tells him that we have stopped the cheque because the speedo has been altered and he mislead us. He gives hubby the spiel about selling the ute for a friend whose name matched the one given to us by the last real owner. Hubby told him that was not the story he had when he test drove the car. Hubby told him he could collect his car from the Police Station where we reported the incident and we want the cash deposit returned also.

Not wanting to pick the car up from outside the station he agreed to meet at local Hungry Jacks. Interestingly a tow truck driver met us there and gave us our cash deposit, loaded the car and off he went. He also mentioned that the seller owned a car yard (Ringwood area).

We actually could have done the transfer at Vic Roads(unless the RWC was an issue) and kept the ute. He would have had to prove he owned the car and take civil action. But better to wash our hands of it.

I was so damn relieved that we had not lost our hard earned money. Still no thank you or apology from hubby. He blamed his lack of DD on the fact he was tired of looking for a ute.

3 weeks later
Ute is on ebay. It has a spiel about the incorrect odometer - something about him having to put in a new dash so the odometer is incorrect. In the Q&A at the bottom someone asked about the condition and left a mobile number. The response from the seller said that it was in excellent condition. I sent a text to the interested person suggesting that they physically look and test drive the ute before buying as it was almost sold to us a few weeks earlier.

Lesson Due Diligence!

It took us 16mths to get a ute. There were several other suspect cars we came across which our DD picked up. A lot of them were from the same areas in outer Melbourne.

The one we did eventually buy - I gave the seller a bit of a hard time. He wanted payment, we could take the car and bring it back the next week when he could get the RWC done and then the transfer. I said no deal - yes hubby was sh*ty again. I said it is not even in name. I don't want to take the risk. The seller said his mechanic couldn't do it before Christmas. I rang Holden and they could do the RWC that afternoon. The seller didn't want to pay Holden's fees so another call to his mechanic and it was slotted in for its RWC. We paid and picked up the next day with RWC and in our name when we drove out the yard (It was a car wholesaler). We get to the end of the street and I realised I had not got the insurance. A phone call later and we were set to go.

I am not looking forward to the next time we have to buy a car. I try my hardest to be an optomistic person but life experience says you have to do your DD.

Can you purchase this book at dimmocks??

Yep: You'll find it located between "Great Expectations" and The Unforgiven.

OP you were lucky to get the cheque cancelled in time. Looking at a car in the dark is not sensible. Go to a public auction next time and just bid 1 higher than a dealer.

In SA it's a 10k fine for speedo tampering IIRC. Best way to get around this is a VSR check which will show the previous recorded KM's (a lot of the dodgy deals like this are interstaters driven in).

There is legitimate car flipping, then there is this.

Good to hear you got your money back! Tell VicRoads and see if they have any comparable laws...

Thanks for the story. We have had a trouble free run with our car for over ten years, but last week it was running rough and our mechanic started with the obvious things, moving up as it didn't respond.

Next "fix" is a replacement of something or other with a part price of close to $1500 plus his labour. We trust this mechanic and may have to make the decision to pay $2K to get our trusty car back but the risk is it will not fix the problem.

We drive a Mitsubishi Nimbus and whilst we no longer use the seven seats, we usually have the two rear seats removed and it is fantastic for carting things to and from renovations. Our son tells us it is a crap car but he is always wanting to borrow it to buy things from Ikea or tow the trailer with it. It has never missed a beat and I'm peeved that we may have to make a tough decision.

If we decide not to spend any more (its value is only about $8K or $10K) then we will probably buy a similar vehicle, at auction or privately, so I'm glad to know some of the things I need to be aware of.

In SA it's a 10k fine for speedo tampering IIRC. Best way to get around this is a VSR check which will show the previous recorded KM's (a lot of the dodgy deals like this are interstaters driven in).

There is legitimate car flipping, then there is this.

Good to hear you got your money back! Tell VicRoads and see if they have any comparable laws...

We paid for one of those Vic Roads online checks but they only tell you if it is registered and if there have been any accidents or if there is finance from memory. There was no info on how many kms.
I think I rang them at the time and gave them the rego and info. There was also another organization to do with cars that I rang and reported it - can't remember who but someone had told me who to call and also notified Car Sales as that was where it was advertised.

One of the first things that gives a dodgy away is when the car is made in a certain year however, the number plates are recent or don't match that year of manufacture. Sellers usually say how long they have had the car and that there have been no accidents. When you ask when / why they had it re-registered then they ask - how do you know that, then some other version of the truth comes out.

Back to the purchase
8mths later hubby is still looking. So this ute comes up on car sales.
There's your problem right there....UTE.

As the owner of a workshop; from my experience almost all utes are flogged to death by their tradie owners, their hoon owners, and/or others.

Very, very few are actually lovingly looked after and serviced on time (Govt vehicles perhaps - but even they are driven by blokes who don't own them and couldn't care less.)

Typically, they are left to last in terms of any money spent, and as little as possible when done so.

Just go the the reputable larger dealers, buy a 2 year old something on finance and cop it sweet; at least you'll have a decent car with a roadworthy.

Or; buy a brand new Great Wall with a full warranty - they are actually not too bad, they are cheap and therefore bugger-all depreciation when you throw it away in a few years time.

One of the first things that gives a dodgy away is when the car is made in a certain year however, the number plates are recent or don't match that year of manufacture. Sellers usually say how long they have had the car and that there have been no accidents. When you ask when / why they had it re-registered then they ask - how do you know that, then some other version of the truth comes out.

Not necessarily. You can go into Vicroads and get new number plates at any time. I got pulled over once and was told to get new number plates as mine were not easily read. When I went in to get new ones I could get a new plates with a new rego number for half the cost of getting plates with my original rego number on it. So just the fact it has recent plates doesn't mean it has definitely been reregistered.

Or it could have been brought along when the owner moved from interstate, and then re-registered in the new state.

OP. Did you get a mechanic to inspect the car? Because they would have picked up on the condition of the car not being in keeping with the kms.

Or it could have been brought along when the owner moved from interstate, and then re-registered in the new state.

When I lived in Vic a rego that didn't match the age of the car was a signal something could be wrong.

In QLD it's common to walk into a second hand car dealer and none of the cars to have plates on them. So not really a flag of anything.

So how good are the motors and running gear in these great walls? Have you seen them come in with high ks .
So far so good, but to keep it all in perspective; the entry level for the vehicle is low, so I guess you can't expect them to last forever, and when they get to about 150,000km's - time for a new one probably before the problems begin.

A couple of our customers have had theirs since new and are still going along ok, but who knows in the near future?

On that note; I wouldn't touch any second hand vehicle - especially utes - with over 150,000km's...often you are buying the reason why someone got rid of it in the first place.

So far so good, but to keep it all in perspective; the entry level for the vehicle is low, so I guess you can't expect them to last forever, and when they get to about 150,000km's - time for a new one probably before the problems begin.

A couple of our customers have had theirs since new and are still going along ok, but who knows in the near future?

On that note; I wouldn't touch any second hand vehicle - especially utes - with over 150,000km's...often you are buying the reason why someone got rid of it in the first place.

Just don't run into a 'great wall'. They are terrible for safety, and cheap for a reason.

Just don't run into a 'great wall'. They are terrible for safety, and cheap for a reason.
Saw this:

http://www.howsafeisyourcar.com.au/2012/Great-Wall/X240/4x4-4D-Wagon-5sp-man-2_4L-4cyl-Petrol/

and this:

http://www.howsafeisyourcar.com.au/...gle-Cab-Cab-Chassis-5sp-man-2_4L-4cyl-Petrol/

Not that good a recommendation as you say, but interestingly; I have never ever heard a tradie or other talk to me about the safety features of their ute.

It is all about how little can I spend and how much car can I buy for that money....they love to sprout on about how they "got XYZ ute for only ABC dollars".

Last edited:
Back