Buying 1970's Units.. Will this be more expensive in the long-term?

I'm currently looking at this 3bdr townhouse in Campbelltown (built around 1974). There are already offers close to the $230k mark and it is all quite dodgy, with the owner wanting a condition in the contract stating that it can only be sold to an investor, and they must give the current tenant a 2 year tenancy agreement before they settle, as the owner doesn't want to upset their loyal tenant blah blah blah. I have spoken to some PMs in the area and it seems that $300/wk is market rent for an original condition TH in the block..

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-townhouse-nsw-campbelltown-114530591

Anyhow, I think it presents okay value at $225k as it should rent for $300/wk, and can achieve $340/wk and perhaps some equity with a reno.

My question though, is should I be concerned buying a 1970's property? I am only 21 and plan to hold all my properties long term, so I'm wondering if this is going to be problematic/expensive to maintain over the next 30-40 years. For example, if I were to buy this, when I'm 50 I'll have a 69 year old property.

Any advice is appreciated.

I don't think there would be a major issue as long as you check for the usual building stuff - rising damp, termites etc.

Most of the IP's we have a apartments built in the late 60's.

The Y-man

Thanks for your quick reply Y-man. Would you recommend running a B&PI on a townhouse purchase or would a strata report sufficiently cover any potential issues?

Make sure you check out the agm report. sinking fund, etc and don't forget the obvious building inspection. Biggest concern would be a shower leak.

Thanks for your quick reply Y-man. Would you recommend running a B&PI on a townhouse purchase or would a strata report sufficiently cover any potential issues?

I'd get it done for the first one - but make sure you follow the person around, ask lots of questions, and they'll probably be happy to tell you what to look for next time.

The Y-man

Your issues are likely to be things like hot water service or toilets. Sometimes buildings of that age are structurally better than what is wing built now. A good building inspection is well worth doing.

I'd get it done for the first one - but make sure you follow the person around, ask lots of questions, and they'll probably be happy to tell you what to look for next time.

The Y-man

I think it's worth having done no matter how many you've bought. A friend had a building inspection which found that a car had run into a brick wall. That was fixed under the vendor's insurance policy. Something like that which you may not pick up could prove to be very expensive or dangerous if not found.

Thanks for your advice. I did not have a B&PI done on my first IP (2 storey double brick walk up) as it was pretty straightforward, but I think on anything but a simple unit block I'd take your advice and get the B&PI done. I suppose it's a cheap investment compared to what the potential problems could cost down the track..

Thanks again.

Back