Buying a Aust Post Franchise

If I was looking to buy an Australia post, I would analyze it using Porter's Five Forces to see if it was attractive to get into.

Meh, just about any small business would fail that porter forces thing.

Business rules written by an academic who has never been in business.

i dread going into the post office as its always got a big line up and i have to stand and wait wasting precious time

I was in Sunnybank Qld recently and I noticed Aust Post lockers where you can pick up parcels 24/7. Apparently they text you a PIN and you just go and pick up the parcel.

Mail volumes may be down but profits are up (parcels up 30%):

http://auspost.com.au/about-us/annual-report-results-2013.html

Aust Post allows you to track a parcel through the system. Posties now carry hand held scanners and scan an article when its delivered. Maybe thats why they are more expensive than other courier companies.

i dread going into the post office as its always got a big line up and i have to stand and wait wasting precious time

Post offices have a big line up because, although there are lots of customers, there is minimal profit to be able to afford more staff. This true whether it is an LPO or a "company owned" store. Always a line up.

I was in Sunnybank Qld recently and I noticed Aust Post lockers where you can pick up parcels 24/7. Apparently they text you a PIN and you just go and pick up the parcel.

Mail volumes may be down but profits are up (parcels up 30%):

http://auspost.com.au/about-us/annual-report-results-2013.html

Aust Post allows you to track a parcel through the system. Posties now carry hand held scanners and scan an article when its delivered. Maybe thats why they are more expensive than other courier companies.

Yes this is true...BUT LPO's don't get a profit from eParcel deliveries. Has anyone had to go to a "real" post office to collect a parcel because the local LPO doesn't have it?

And people wonder why 50-70% of small businesses actually do fail within the first 1.5 years...

If you follow Porters advice you would never start anything. Find me any business that has done well that didn't have those obstacles to overcome from the start.

All I can say is that There is no simple one size fits all rule for small business,

I'm sure even Microsoft would have failed most of those rules when bill gates first started

Also how are you supposed to compare the successibility of a hair dresser vs IT business?

If you follow Porters advice you would never start anything. Find me any business that has done well that didn't have those obstacles to overcome from the start.

Advice? Lol. Porter doesn't give you advice, nor tell you what to do and not do. Porters five forces is a model used to analyze the competitive nature of an industry, whether its an attractive industry to be in, and what has an impact on profitability.

Similar to investing in property... Some people have a defined strategy they use to invest in property. Other people's view of investing in property is to buy in the same suburb they grew up in, and blindly hope for the best. I know what works out better...

Who said anything about blind luck? It's not about luck, its about getting in there, getting your hands dirty, flying by the seat of your pants at times and doing it. All Porter will do for you is give you analysis paralysis.

Let me know when you start the perfect business.

How would Porters rate a drug dealing business? Do the words "drug dealing" set off alarm bells in enforcement agencies. Don't answer that, there is somebody bashing on my front door... hold your horses, geez.

Just did a quick exercise.

Parcel being sent from Sydney 2000 to Brisbane 4000

30x30x30 3kg.

Australia Post - $18. Couriers Please - $15.

Couriers please come to me. Australia Post I have to go to them.

You Decide.

Most courier services are only available to businesses and you need to by the satchels in packs of 10 or 20.

As a business I get a nice discount on my postage AND they pick up from me. It's much cheaper than a courier. Don't ask what I pay for your example, because I'm overseas, so can't look it up, but to Brissy from Sydney is only around $8.50 plus $0.50-60 cents per kilo. I don't do the cube thing either, just per kilo.

Most courier services are only available to businesses and you need to by the satchels in packs of 10 or 20.

As a business I get a nice discount on my postage AND they pick up from me. It's much cheaper than a courier. Don't ask what I pay for your example, because I'm overseas, so can't look it up, but to Brissy from Sydney is only around $8.50 plus $0.50-60 cents per kilo. I don't do the cube thing either, just per kilo.

You dont need to be a business to send or have couriers please pick up from you. One offs are fine too. You can use their website to book or Temando. Satchel from Sydney to Brisbane again is about the same as Australia Post but the big kicker is they pick up from you.

does anybody know how does the comission strucutre for an aust post shop work??

is it a %/set fee of all bills paid regardless of cash/cc/cheque
what about deposits?
and what about parcels,is it based on turnover ie the more parcels people send through your shop, the better the profits?

or is a set fee of $x per month for customers to be able to send packages to through you

I used to work in an LPO a few years back. Commissions were paid on bill payments, passport processing etc. Some profit in stamps, packaging etc. We had stacks of carded parcels left with us. Received a fee for holding those parcels based on the approximate number we handled each week. It was up to us to try to renegotiate that fee if we felt the number was increasing. We definitely didn't get paid enough relative to the amount of storage space required, the time it took to record them as they came in, store them so we could easily find them again, sign them out to their owners. The best money was in the banking and bill payments and I would imagine that a lot of that is now done online.

Back