Buying a car using an IP.

Bludger - Of course you can do it. If you can pay the $ back at 5% it's cheap money and your cash may be better spent elsewhere. Only you know. You'll just need to always account for it at tax time.

BTW, you should buy whatever car you want. It's a motor vehicle, not a moral dilemma.

Oh, except if it's a Prius. Those things annoy the hell out of me! :D

Well said. If somebody wants to spend $5k on a car, that's good for them (although I wouldn't be seen dead in one) but please everyone, don't judge others who want to spend $20k, $50k or even $150k on something that they're going to enjoy for their own reasons.

By the way, the Prius bugs me too (it represents to me the self-centred "were going to save the world by not using plastic bags despite the fact we're buying heaps of things with plenty of packaging because it makes us feel good" approach, and the "oh my God, the world is getting warmer which must be our fault because we've never had ice ages and the globe's temperature has never shifted before"). However, every time somebody writes a thread called "I'm going to buy a Prius" I don't bombard them with judgements about "oh, you're not buying a Prius when you can get "x" for the same price".

why do you need to get a 4WD to tow a boat?

Get an old automatic V8 falcon with a 9inch diff, stick gas on it, and use that to tow the boat. the car doesn't need to be that old. a model from the 90s will be ok and if it has computer assisted gearbox then towing will be a breeze.

I'm really puzzled as to why people insist on getting a huge 4WD just to tow things.

Song by Madonna comes to mind.....

Because it's the IN thing to do, so an absolute neccessity. I agree, they drive me INSANE... mothers dropping off their one child in the inner suburbs of Melbourne. It makes them feel worthy and they think they own the road, but it gives me great pleasure to cut in front of them and not let them in, in my little economical Mazda 2 which fits anywhere. Equally annoying are cyclists on Beach Road, everyone should be made to drive little hatch backs. A nice medium between cyclists and 4WD's. :)

What makes me laugh is how more than half of them are simply out for a bit of fresh air and a bit of exercise, and ride to the cafe for a latte or 3, then ride back - and yet they are dolled up like they are in the Tour De France. :rolleyes:

LMAO

We have 'em all down our way too now. Our joint pumps on sat/sun mornings now down Point nepean road.

Cool; more yupps; more property value. :D;)

What makes me laugh is how more than half of them are simply out for a bit of fresh air and a bit of exercise, and ride to the cafe for a latte or 3, then ride back - and yet they are dolled up like they are in the Tour De France. :rolleyes:

As we are a one car family, sometimes hubby has ridden from Coorparoo over the bridge to Wilston to help his best mate renovate. Hubby rides his $25 bike (which is actually a very good bike) from the election day stall and wears his usual weekend attire..... paint covered shorts, no reggies :eek:, grungy joggers, and an old business shirt covered with paint and a helmet.

I cringe when I see him off :p and wonder what people must think. He really looks like a dag :p.

I particularly love the slightly overweight chaps in their lycra. Who are they trying to fool? I reckon you blokes only cycle so you can shave your legs :).

I cringe when I see him off :p and wonder what people must think. He really looks like a dag :p.

Ha! Love it.

It's all about not being a penguin, yes?

As you all know, I am sociophobic and probably a borderline psycopath :D, so I take great delight in being the worst looking loser out there on the pedals, and being a non-conformer.

I know they are all laughing behind their Oakleys at me.

I wave. You know; recognition of other brothers fighting the good fight.

But the really serious ones sorta pretend they don't see you. :confused:

I have a 10 year old "hybrid" bike which weighs a ton and has straight handlebars (has 21 gears though, so bite that) and wear trackie dacks in the cold and board shorts when the temp gets better.

No lycra in sight here. ;)

I'm gunna invent a holder for my latte-to-go paper cup to fit on the bike.

Thought of a name for it; "rida latte miles".

Last edited:
Back