Buying a Motel

Just did a deal with St George to buy a motel. LVR 54%, they will go to 60%. P & I Loan @ 7.42%, LOC @ 7.92%. Anyone considering buying one is welcome to some details. Will definately ask for broker assistance next time because I"m time poor, and unsure where the Bank's limits are. Will reassess in 12 months, and use a broker at that time. Can't seem to get a decent interest rate for commercial property. However, I discovered if you buy res prop first, then use it as security to buy commercial property, you get res int rates on the comm prop. Been a long month,can stand on the finance file to change light bulbs. Hope things are going well in other property sectors. Just thought it might be if interest to someone to share these figures with you.
cheers
crest133 :)

Thanks Crest.

The subject of motels has been raised before. I for one would certainly be interested in your experiences once you've been able to get into the business.

Hi Crest,

You say those rates are on commercial property... so it's freehold then I assume? Would you run the motel business itself, yourself?

-Regards

Dave

Been running it under lease for the last 2 years, with an option to buy the freehold.
Was negotiating to buy the freehold on 9/11 and the discussions and deal went on hold , the banks feet went cold, and we restructured the deal as a lease buy option, price fixed for 3 years, CG is ours. Turned out well. Too much work though. Better to own the lease, 10-12% ROI, no outgoings. Will build up to selling off the lease eventually. Hope to find another motel and do another one the same way.
cheers
crest133

crest133 said:
... too much work though. Better to own the lease, 10-12% ROI, no outgoings. Will build up to selling off the lease eventually. Hope to find another motel and do another one the same way.
cheers
crest133

Hi Crest, can you please clarify what you mean by the above... are you saying it's better to just have the leasehold and not the freehold?
When you say you own the lease, does this mean you can then sublet the lease to another operator?
Regarding your plans to buy another motel - does this mean you want to buy the freehold and then lease the business to someone else?

Any other info on running a motel? I imagine there's a lot of hours involved and you need some industry experience? Is it difficult to set something up from scratch, or is it better to buy an ongoing concern?

Thanks for any info. I'm considering a backpackers at the moment and i imagine it's a very similar operation to run.

Long topic, will try to be brief. Hope this is of some value to forumites.
Bought 12 room 3 1/2 star, centre of town, full brick, 3 bed res, pool, no restaurant, close to everything, position position. Lucky to find it. Been in tourism/hospitality a while.
Leasehold vs freehold involves complex personal decisions and commercial ones. Leasehold has lower purchase price hence higher ROI, diminishing value, usually 25 yr lease, can be on-sold or placed in hands of management, is a short term strategy. E.g. For a motel freehold value of $1m being offered for lease, you might have to pay $300K up front for biz & chattels, $30K closing costs, all outgoings like rates, water, all other running costs, rent of approx 10% of the balance of the freehold price ($1m less $300K=$700K x 10% = $70K p.a. rent.) = $6K per month in advance. When lease runs out, you walk away, it belongs to the lessor, owner of freehold. So, the lease diminishes in value year by year. Many buy a new 25 yr lease, improve figures and resell at 21 yrs for same as cost.
The circa 10% is the market rent expectation of the owner of the freehold who has leased his asset and wants a rent return. The rent is nett to the landlord, no deductions, landlord pays nothing, is only responsible for structural problems.
Get a sample lease from a motel broker. Don’t know if you would find a lessor willing to agree to a lease containing options to sub-lease.
Freehold, you own the lot. All the income is yours, you live and work on the premises, frees up another property. According to our valuer, there are several ways to increase the property value. But the main one is - Any improvement in motel nett profit is multiplied by 7 and is added to the property value. Capitalisation rate is between 12-15%, depending on the valuer, on his expertise with motels (12-13%), or if he’s ingratiating himself with the lender(15%). E.g. a nett profit of $150K using capitalization rate of 15% = a motel value of $1m. (12% = $1.250m).
St George will lend up to 60% LVR on a motel if it’s a solid biz.
Other decisions are Style of Motel, age/quality, construction, size, location, location, star rating, restaurant yes/no, residence, pool, location. . . .
Backpackers. Different market entirely. Everything is different. Needs young owner operators, could be leased out, but lots of cash could cause problems if under management. Different scene, not my bag, too old.

Hope this post is brief enough. Sorry it’s incomplete. PM me if you’re going to bite the bullet and want volumes.
Good luck, cheers

Back