Buying first property

Hi all

I am finally looking at getting my first property in country NSW, I will post more info when I get it/don’t get it if people are interested. It is not brilliant but it is ok, more my question is that I do not have any solicitor for this setup. Should I see about the solicitor that the agent suggested (when I asked if he knew one)? Should I look to find my own close to where I live? I guess since I do not know that much about either it is just being pot luck.

Also pest and building inspections.. Where is the best place to find someone to do that or get the agent to organize it. The Agent appears and seems decent.. But you can never tell.

Nicholas,

First make sure that you are not using the same solicitor as the vendor. There's too much potential for conflict of interest.

I'd be wary of a R?E agent's reco- they may just be drinking mates. But it may well be OK.

Ask for recommendations. I don't think they have to be local- but they should be very aware of the laws in the state of the property. An ACT lawyer, for instance, would probably know the NSW laws quite well, but probably not WA laws. If they're local, they just might have a better idea of dealing with that particular council.

You can deal remotely if you want- you may have to give some sort of power of attorney though to speed things up. They also tend to want to sit you down and explain everything- it covers their backside- so you might have to be prepared for at least one visit. So someone local to you might smooth things that way. The last place I bought, I ended up picking a document from the bank myself and taking it to the solicitor just to make sure settlement was not delayed.

I'd suggest that you ask the forum for a suggestion for someone near where you live (a Recommendation itself might be dangerous- we are talking about lawyers after all).

Hi Nicholas

I have just signed the co tact for my first IP which is in regional SA. Vendor lives in Qld. It was a private sale. I did everything by phgone and internet.

Used Yellow Pages Online andFound a conveyancer in SA on the
net, as with the QS ( that was my only disaster) pest inspection and building insp from locals. It is a small town so the local council was exxtremelt helpful.

I would suggest to use the YPO then make a couple of phone calls, or email them.

Hope iot goes well for you.

regards towil

Back