Buying in Epping, Beecroft, Artarmon

Hi guys

having been on this forum for a while, I now want to bother you guys for some advice.

just some background info

I am working in the city, my wife is working in North Ryde. my litte girl is about 3yr old. We have 3 IPs under our name with the LVR 75%. We are currently renting. We are looking for a house/unit in the areas of Epping, Beecroft, Artarmon under 650K within a good school catchment. We prefer a place (townhouse if possible) not too far from train station. after looking for a while on realestate.com, we realised there was not many chances available. Would you guys shed some light?

regards

Not a lot of chance of a house in those areas at those prices for $650k.

You should be able to pick up a nice townhouse for that, though dont expect much of a yard.

Hi guys

having been on this forum for a while, I now want to bother you guys for some advice.

just some background info

I am working in the city, my wife is working in North Ryde. my litte girl is about 3yr old. We have 3 IPs under our name with the LVR 75%. We are currently renting. We are looking for a house/unit in the areas of Epping, Beecroft, Artarmon under 650K within a good school catchment. We prefer a place (townhouse if possible) not too far from train station. after looking for a while on realestate.com, we realised there was not many chances available. Would you guys shed some light?

regards

I live in beecroft; and i can tell you $650 for those 3 areas is not possible for houses; given that there arn't a lot of stock for sale as well in these areas.

For that price:

1. Very old house + slightly smaller land ( would need some renovation touch up)- there are plenty of old houses in epping/beecroft

2. Unit's - Epping and Artarmon ( there arn't many unit's in beecroft)

3. The townhouses for that price would be slightly far from the station still ( 10-15min walk)

4. If you look at property on Murry farm road on Beecroft/epping -you may find a few within that budget -- ust make sure you don't go to far else it would be outside some of the school's catchment ( especially Beecroft primary school- given the age of your kid) --> ask the school for a list of streets within the catchment.

Regards
Michael

Hi, Michael, thanks your reply. You always have good points as usual.

Houses around these areas are just out of our reach. We are thinking of samll townhouses or units. We prefer old ones so we can renovate.

For Epping, the schoold catchment of Epping Primary is on the east side of station, there are lots of units, not many townhouses.

For Beecroft and our budget, it is most likely a subdivision house or a small townhouse.

In Artarmon, units only.

You should be able to get a villa/town house further down the train line in Eastwood at that price (just) or definitely in slightly cheaper West Ryde. Also possibly Marsfield, but that wouldn't be as near a station. A three-bed unit should also be doable in Epping.

What about townhouses in Marsfield north of Epping Rd? There are lots of them in the middle of nowhere for less than $500k (Busaco Rd, Taranto Rd, maybe even Crimea Rd). It's far from the station but there's a bus (292/293) that goes straight to the city in about 50 mins (as well as passing by the train stations), so you don't need to change.

(http://www.sydneybuses.info/routes/292_293map.pdf)

No idea about the catchment area there though

Epping

Hiya

You may have missed the boat with that budget imho....

How about Hornsby? There is a very good primary school with OC (gifted) class in Waitara Public School...many Asians flocking to that school and moving to Hornsby for that purpose... plus the second highest ranking HSC school for girls is in Hornsby too...Hornsby Girls High.

It has an express train to the city via 2 train lines...and your wife can take the train line (Northern Line) via Beecroft to Macquarie.

Check this out...

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-nsw-hornsby-107540358

hi guys

great replies and advice. Marsfield, West Ryde are not in good school catchment. Eastwood is out of reach. Hornsby is a good area, we have a unit in Hornsby but it just missed out the Waitara catchment. any thought in Beecroft, or Epping? please

Epping and surrounds have a good reputation for primary schools and access to the sought after Cheltenham Girls and Epping Boys.

If you are into private schools, Arden is also really good.

Not to far from the city. Excellent transportation links and centrally located.

Loads of parks.

Yes you can buy what you are looking for but you will need to to look hard and speak to all the agents servicing the area because like I have previously posted, there are properties that are never listed and are sold silently.

Hi, Guys, I could not access internet until now.

thanks for these good advice.

Hi Pennyk, for the budget, the current budget is probably the most we can afford. Banks might happy to lend us more, and we are trying not to sell the IPs either. There are some subdivisions coming up every now and then under 700K. We are not in the urgent need to buy right now. Maybe sould wait and see.

Hi, Chilliblue, you raise a good topic of silent sale. We might need to talk to the agents in these areas.

thanks all guys.

Have you thought about Carlingford? You could probably get a townhouse there within your budget.

There are some great schools there - Carlingford West public, Carlingford High, James Ruse...

It does have a train station, (although not as convenient as Epping to travel to the city or North Ryde- you'd probably find it easier to get a bus). Might be worth a look?

Hi Eric

Your budget is tight but not impossible. All these suburbs are pricey and I think you can pretty much cross Beecroft off the list right away- mainly houses. Epping and Carlingford will yield you more and Artarmon very little in the way of townhouses. You should also check out other suburbs, as already mentioned and go further north on the northern districts line for cheaper alternatives. I had a client who bought a very nice 3 bed villa in Pennant Hills walk to station for low $600K's a few mths ago- they're out there but just slim on the ground. You really do need to be on agents call lists on a regular basis to get stock in this price bracket.

Good schools are in lots of suburbs, so also ask around for recommendations here. Happy hunting!

Where to buy

Hiya

If i were you, i would rent and get my child into the primary school i want ( i know A LOT of parents who do that!)

Then go up the northern train line and buy anywhere north of Epping station in an area i could afford...and still have access to a train station.

I have a friend who ended up buying a beautiful house in North Epping for 1.4 million; a year later, they are now uber-stressed; they can't go forward nor can they go backward:eek:

Hi,

Can I ask why you want to invest in those areas? I can see Artarmon as a good spot, not too far out of the city, but the other areas are starting to get quite far out. But then again, you might be targeting families who want to live in those areas.

You can get a house and land closer to the city than those areas if that's what you want.

I live in Earlwood (nextdoor to marrickville, about 10km from CBD) and have just seen a 2BR house go for approx $620k. It rents for $470/week so the yield is quite low, but it has a great position for future capital growth.

Darren.

Back