Buying in Roselands, Sydney

I have been looking for an IP in Sydney, but being in WA all my due diligence has been from afar. Can anyone help me with some comments or feedback on Roselands in Sydney?

From my research so far, it seems to tick the boxes for:
*transport - private bus company, close to M5, train station nearby in Beverly Hills
*about 16kms from Sydney CBD
*shopping - Centro Roselands
*sports clubs - bowling, soccer, golf, aquatic centre
*schools

Can anyone comment on areas/streets to target, or in particular those to avoid? I have been looking at newer units and townhouse style properties. The demographic would seem to be young families, so I am unsure whether I am better to look for 3-4 bedroom IP's. My DD continues but any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Angela :)

Angela

I know there is no train station there and that prices are a little higher than puchbowl, wiley park, lakemba etc

It depends on what you buy units at the low end would probably be ok.
I am not a unit person though, if I was going to pay $250K for a unit I'd rather buy something with land further out.
Something like the one below which is 15-20 minutes away and fix it up for $5K or so
http://www.domain.com.au/Public/PropertyDetails.aspx?adid=2007911370

Buying a house in Roselands will cost you much more.
When I was looking a few weeks ago there are some cheap houses on King Georges rd which is a very busy road.

I know there is no train station there and that prices are a little higher than puchbowl, wiley park, lakemba etc.

I was wondering what the reason is for the prices being higher - age of area, better reputation...?

Also from what I could work out the train station is about 5 minutes away in Beverly Hills and based on the demographics about 10% of the suburb take the train to work. Another 65% drive or are passengers in a car, so I thought a lot of the 10% might also drive to the station and park.

I'm not looking at houses at this stage. Mainly units or preferably townhouses, but I'm not sure what size is best.

Thanks
Angela

Roselands has a more family friendly environment compared to some of its peers like Lakemba, Punchbowl. It has all the facilities and I think having a "better" reputation does contribute to the price.

However, transportation will be a factor. Unless you are on the absolute southern end of Roselands (around King George and Moorefields), you won't able to walk to Beverley Hill station. Even that will take you at least 10 - 15 mins (not to mention crossing intersection of M5 and King George). Similar walking distance from the Canterbury road end to Wiley Park, Lakemba. Traffic around that area is generally pretty bad in the morning (I use to drive on Canterbury road or take M5 into city and that was painful).

Units are slightly pricier (lower rental yields but I think in long term it will have better capital gains) compared to the other "less" reputable suburbs. Haven't seen many townhouses around except the Moorefield Gardens, which I think is a bit pricy.

If you're looking at Roselands, I would suggest looking at Arncliffe as well. Similar demographics, similar prices but with the added benefit of a train station and being about 3 suburbs closer to the city and not far from the Botany Bay beaches. One of the most undervalued areas in Sydney, in my opinion.

Units are slightly pricier (lower rental yields but I think in long term it will have better capital gains) compared to the other "less" reputable suburbs. Haven't seen many townhouses around except the Moorefield Gardens, which I think is a bit pricy.

I had been keeping an eye on prices in Moorefield Gardens (173-177 Moorefields Rd). http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bi...STRALIA&c=9743603&s=nsw&snf=ras&tm=1251608439

Does anyone know much about this development, or the area of Roselands that it is in? Has anyone actually inspected any of the townhouses? Thanks.

Angela :)

From what I can ascertain it isn't.

Angela
A few years back, I remember driving past the golf club and seeing water depth level indicators on the side of the road.
I don't know why I remember this, maybe I was looking to buy a property there.
Or maybe it's my imagination....:confused:

Have seen this block and been in contact with vendor on it.

Not too sure on ptice though from investent point of view...

Back