Buying in Sydney's Inner West

I've had an unproductive experience recently re an Inner West house which I was considering as a home purchase, rather than an investment. I wanted to see what others searching in the area were finding in terms of vendor expectations vs current market..

The home has been marketed for 6 weeks, initially with a guide of $1.15m, and has since had an aborted auction (one presumes through basic lack of interest - the property is attractive and well laid out, but on a street adjacent to, but not in, the main "hot spot"). It's now re-advertised at $1.25m, and the REA is adamant it will only be sold at that level...which strikes me as an odd expectation to maintain, given anyone can see the marketing campaign history. Given what the vendors paid in '07, plus allowing generously for their reno work, $1.25m gives them an av annual capital growth of 12%!!

I have attended several auctions in this area and have seen little appetite between $1m and $1.5m, with vendor bids being used and a couple of 'good' properties passed in. Most of the action is sub $1m, but also >$1.5m - $2m seems healthy.

So I guess my question is whether others are finding things cooling down in this price bracket in Sydney's Inner West? It seems from what I've seen around here that vendors' expectations aren't being met, but then they won't cut a deal for less....is that the fault of over-eager REAs, or unrealistic vendors?? :confused:

Frustrating, but will just have to do what the other buyers apparently are doing and sit on my hands for a while. Perhaps a slow Spring will realign things!

Hiya Bob

Our BA, who works in this area, certainly hasn't noticed any slowdown in the sub $800K price bracket though anything $2m+ is slower. We've been watching one property in particular that was $2.6m, slowly come down to the point where we cheekily put an offer in of $1.9m- yes it was knocked back but it can become a game of "wait and catch" depending on buyers. It's certainly slowed down since the madness of 09- early 10, that's for sure.

Auctions can be tricky and with some buyers avoiding them altogether they really work best in a rising market when interest is very strong. Just because a property passes in at auction and has been on the market for 6 weeks, however, doesn't necessarily mean the vendor is going to drop their price either. It really does come down to individual vendor motivations. Some REA's don't help, by over-listing in the first place but there are some "ambitious" vendors out there who insist on listing at a particular price/reserve despite advice to the contrary by the agent. If it's really overpriced, such vendors will usually wade through a few agents before finally getting a result and being conditioned to do so.

Further thoughts..

Thanks for the reply.

To tell the truth, we're now going cold on the whole thing - serves them right for being so greedy I reckon!!

We've reassessed things, and the minimal on-street parking (one side of street only, v limited residents' permit zone, high $ metered parking) is a bigger issue for us than we first thought...

To canvas opinion, if you're looking at an owner-occupier purchase in a central urban location, would you accept parking challenges on an expensive (relatively) 4 bed home?

I think you might lump it if it's a 2 bedder first-time buy, but for a sizeable family residence I do wonder if it'd kill off the value growth potential? We now have a theory that this is the big sticking point for other prospective buyers in the market for this type of property, hence the lack of competition we're seeing. Would welcome in particular thoughts from REAs?

Hi Bobquarepants

I am a property lawyer in Rozelle. Inner west is doing some strange things at the moment.

Some properties are getting too much attention and others not so much. The homes with great reno's seem to be fetching a lot higher prices in Leichhardt, Rozelle and Lilyfield. A lot of purchasers in the $1.4mill range competing against others in tenders before the auction and also at auctions.

The agents seem to be selling the renovated ones the week before auction by tender not sure on the reasons behind this possibly only 2 real purchasers, they are aware of the high level of interest and still not going to auction preferring the tender approach.

I have even seen 2 agents within the same agency fighting against each other to sell the one property. Each had a purchaser. This practice was not in the best interest of the vendor or purchaser for that matter as telling each purchaser a different story and different deadlines!!!

Crazy times and yes some bizarre vendors with high level expectations. Their analagy is normally that they are under no pressure to sell and want their price or they are prepared not to sell.

Regards,

Last edited:
I think you might lump it if it's a 2 bedder first-time buy, but for a sizeable family residence I do wonder if it'd kill off the value growth potential? We now have a theory that this is the big sticking point for other prospective buyers in the market for this type of property, hence the lack of competition we're seeing. Would welcome in particular thoughts from REAs?

I'm no REA but I'm also looking to buy a 4 or 5 bedroom in the inner west, albeit one that's a bit under your price bracket though. Traffic and parking issues in Sydney is only going to get worse - I would not consider a house for a family without a garage. That's just my personal opinion though. We currently live in a house with on-street parking only (yep, first-time buy so we couldn't afford one with a garage) and now that we have a newborn it's a bit of a pain.

Sounds like you are looking in the newtown area or thereabouts? I used to live there and would not live there again without off street parking. It was also incredibly difficult for visitors to come and visit us.. many people were put off by the narrow streets / paid parking / parking about 100m away from our house!!

It usually takes quite a while before vendors (and agents) get realistic after a change in price sentiment. I'd say 3-6 months or possibly up to 12 months, depending on other variables.

I live in the inner west and things are definitely slowing. Be patient and you'll find vendors becoming more realistic. Especially if there is a rate rise tomorrow. (Melb cup day)

btw: I have seen many more listings and lots more 'updated' listings on my domain.com.au email email subscription to the inner west.
'Updated' can be read as reduced in price. :rolleyes:

btw: I have seen many more listings and lots more 'updated' listings on my domain.com.au email email subscription to the inner west.

I'll second that. Last weekend there were 20 - 25% more properties advertised for sale in Erskineville (next to Newtown and Alexandria) than "normal".

I live in the inner west and things are definitely slowing. Be patient and you'll find vendors becoming more realistic. Especially if there is a rate rise tomorrow. (Melb cup day)

Completely agreed big slow down in the inner west especially last 2 weeks Erskineville included and many updated listings including rentals!

I live in Rozelle with a family and I have never had a problem off street parking although Newtown/Erskineville I would imagine to be worse!

Back