Buying/operating a portfolio of websites

Hi all,

Any thoughts or personal experiences with purchasing/operating websites as a side-form of investing?

SWS

Hi all,

Any thoughts or personal experiences with purchasing/operating websites as a side-form of investing?

SWS

it ain't passive. Prepare for a lot of research and hard work to build anything worthwhile. Also, the barriers to competition are very low so you'll always be fighting for whatever niche you manage to carve out.

I expect to make around $5,000 this year year from my web site as follows:

Revenue/Approx
Adsense $1,000
Sponsored posts $1,000
E Book sales $4,000

Costs Approx
Hosting, security, Paypal fees, etc, etc $ 1,000

Run as a hobby rather than a full on business.

There is a link to the site on my signature below

Last edited:
MXia has a mate who left work and lived off the income from his websites.

A lot of lessons on what could go wrong as he lost them all essentially overnight.

Thanks for all your comments.

MXia would you like to share publicly or send me a PM please on your friend's experience? I'd really appreciate it.

I'm happily employed in the financial services industry (a marketing role) and work around website marketing/print management all day long. I buy approx $7-10M worth of digital/print for one of the 4 major banks.

Definitely not looking at it from a full-time perspective but more so as something I could do as a hobby.

I'm definitely not a "dreamer" as someone politely called me via private PM.

SWS

Definitely not an easy work.

Every websites make their money, one way to another, by having traffic to the site which then attract sales (if it's ecommerce), sponsored posts, ads, advocacy for the advertisers etc etc. Building traffic and reputation for eact sites are not easy, and if your site traffic coming mostly from big G (like most do), one algorithm change can wipe your traffic.

Source: years digital marketing industry

Websites can and do generate income but agree with others it does involve time and patience (plenty of both)....a great intro into it all is Brett McFalls book "How to make money while you sleep"....a great resource and Brett keeps things as simple as possible....online income (apart from property) is well worth looking into but like all other investment/business vehicles it needs to be taken seriously to have a real chance of making it work, like every thing do you own investigation and be prepared to invest time time and more time!
Gavin

Last edited:
Back