Buying plants in Melbourne

Hi All, I was just wondering if I could get some recommendations for some good places to buy plants in Melbourne (preferably the somewhere in the west but will travel east if it's worth it).

My other half and I have been doing the landscaping for our PPOR and we've now gotten to the stage where we're ready to get the plants. I'm only fairly new to victoria and don't know the best places to get stuff yet. We're looking for the hardy plants that need as little TLC as possible as my thumb is more brown than green.

Any pointers in the right direction would be great!

Chris and Maries Plant Farm in Cambellfield,there is a website you could look at,good variety and they could give you advice for your needs.

http://www.latrobe.edu.au/community/events/community-market

At this market you will find a great number of plant stalls.
I regularly purchase native plants for a third of the price asked at nursery outlets.
Herb has a stall that focuses on drought tolerant native Australian plant.
He is in the first row ( ute with trailer ).
To get the best choice of plants you would want to be there by 8 AM or earlier.

Gerd

Found a good nursery on the way to Geelong. Plants are far better value compared to more commercial suburban types.

Drive along Princes Fwy towards Geelong, take next exit after Avalon Airport on the left onto Avalon Rd, take 1st right into Coonawarra Dr, 2nd property on right.

You can see it on Google-Earth just off the Fwy. Find Avalon Airport, scan left, voila ;)

If you have an ABN, get yourself into PlantMark, which is a wholesale nursery chain that supplies the nurseries (there's on on the corner of K Road, which leads to Werribee Zoo, and another at Thomastown). They are excellent, and can be really cheap - but theoretically commercial only.
All Green Nursery in Old Geelong Road, Hoppers Crossing, is also good. There's a Wombat Gully further up the road (and on the opposite side). They're not as good.
I think they're linked to Chris and Marie's somehow. I've bought plants from C&M and all I can say is NEVER AGAIN. Root-bound, poor quality and many failures. They also have their own breeds of things, which you can't get elsewhere so if you plant, say, a lillypilly hedge of their ''Neighbours be gone'' variety and one (or, as in our case 10) dies, you have to go back out there to get replacements.
If money's not an object, then, IMHO, the best nursery in the west is Poynton's in Essendon. It's on the river and has a great cafe, great plants and great advice and service. But it's exxy (actually All Green is probably similar in terms of quality and range, but the setting's not half as nice).
have rambled on a bit ... but hope it helps.:)

Laverton flea market in the West is ok.

Address is 8 Leakes Road Laverton North. Open both Saturday and Sunday.

Be there early :)

All the above places are good as suggested.

Also try Bunnings. Bunnings sometimes has really good sales - I once got a trailer full of plants in Altona area for an awesome price.

Re: Indifference post...... details are:

Plants At Wholesale Pty Ltd
Nurseries-Retail - Lara, VIC
(03) 5282 1276
Address
20 Coonawarra Drv, Lara VIC 3212, Australia

Back