Buying second Property on the Gold Coast

Once again thanks for all your opinions, great to hear form all of you, im hoping to be a contributing member here from now on as i see myself getting right into the property market now that i have settled into my first property i bought 2 years ago and am now established with a good job and enough money to get a second mortgage,,, then hopefully a third, fourth fith,, hehe

im thinking about picking out a few stand out properties and putting in some low offers maybe 20% under market, and hopefully settling at least 15% under, there are some desperate sellers out there, and if no one accepts, at least it will give me more time to see if the market comes down further. im sure the houses are going to come down more so i wont be buying a property at the asking price.

Thats the way Hooligan,

I got my Varsity Lakes property at a nice discount. I put in a low offer (final), which mildly amused the vendors. I got a call 3 months later asking if it was still valid, which more than mildly amused me.

But because I bought in the last 18 months looks like I'm heading for a big loss;)
Believe it when I see it

M

But Mr Hodson said the drops will be felt across the entire market, including commercial properties.

He said rents will also come off the boil as unemployment rises and more young renters choose to move back home to live with their parents or into shared accommodation with friends.

"People don't realise how scary this is going to become," said Mr Hodson.

If someone hadn't posted this in the context of the Gold Coast, you could be forgiven for thinking the statement could apply to any major city in the country. I would far prefer to see substantiated evidence rather than generic speculation and I can't see one piece of GC specific information in the article.

That said, I'm wary about the GC for the same reasons I'm wary about other areas. There is a lot of stock there at the moment but we've also seen construction slow dramatically and migration is still high. Have a read of this thread for some more pros and cons.

Thats the way Hooligan,

I got my Varsity Lakes property at a nice discount. I put in a low offer (final), which mildly amused the vendors. I got a call 3 months later asking if it was still valid, which more than mildly amused me.

But because I bought in the last 18 months looks like I'm heading for a big loss;)
Believe it when I see it

M

I wouldnt write your vasity property off just yet, with the new train line going in

i bought my property 25 months ago for $323,000 and the one just a couple of houses down (its a townhouse so all identical) is listed at $389,000 almost always full of renters, when i first purchased rent was $320pw, now its $380 p/w
its seems to be one of the few areas not being hit too hard... yet. it seems just as hard as ever to get a cheap property in varsity,, but im really looking forward to seeing where the prices go in about 24 months :) im hoping it will break the 400k mark

Just found this. I have no idea who this guy is and why anyone should listen to him but like all of our opinions, it is something to take into consideration.

For those interested in GC.

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2008/10/17/17565_gold-coast-business.html

Interesting reading.

Regards JO

This article has really scared me. Im having second thoughts about rushing into my first house, especially before end of june this year, just to get the first home owners grant boost.

Problem is there is so many mixed comments going around, i cant make a decision to buy or wait.

Don't despair Tone, there is more than enough information out there both for and against the health of the market at present. The current environment is particularly polarising and there is a huge amount of speculation going on. Personally, I'm more interested in hard facts and figures (severely lacking in the article posted earlier) than broad speculation. All you can do is soak it all up and make an educated decision.

Here's a newsletter I received from Ray White Surfers Paradise on the weekend. They, like the authors of many of the articles you read, have a vested interest in the stance they're taking but at least they provide some quantifiable information.

In our Gold Coast Property Report in January I talked about "the turning point".

The turning point of course refers to when a market changes direction. There is no question that 2008 was a price correction year which in simple terms means that prices reduced from their peak point in the latter parts of 2007.

But, that doesn't happen for an indefinite period of time and at some point the market turns and some of the fundamentals that I have talked about previously become more predominant.

So, what are the points to watch to identify that the market is switching from price correction to price growth and therefore switching from a buyer's market to either a more balanced market between buyers and sellers or indeed a seller's market?

First up is interest rates. They're a basic tool used by the Reserve Bank to either slow a real estate market or accelerate it. There were 12 interest rate rises over 5 years leading up to March 2008, a strategy by the Reserve Bank to slow inflation which involved slowing real estate.

However, there has been a dramatic turnaround with the largest fall in history in interest rates over a 6 month period and this is clearly one of the signals that the real estate market is at a turning point.

The second is the tracking of consumer confidence which does vary from month to month, but saw rises in consumer confidence through the months of October, November and December riding on the back of falling interest rates and falling petrol prices. The index for "now is the right time to buy" is up some 39%.

The third is reducing stock levels. A sign that the market is a buyer's market is when there is a lot of property for sale and of course not many buyers. A sign that this is changing is when there is not a lot of property available.

If you looked at the Gold Coast Bulletin through January of 2008 you would have seen that the average pages advertised were some 240. This is compared to January 2009 which has just passed where the average was around 180 pages - a 25% decline in the number of properties advertised for sale. Clearly a sign of a tightening market.

The sign to detect a turning market is buyer activity. I guess that is hard for the average person to truly read, but if you can compare the number of people at open houses say mid-way through 2008 to today you will see that the number of buyer inspections is up over 70%. Enquiries on the internet and bidder registrations at auctions are also up by over 100% and finance approvals are also on the way up.

Our office has seen sales increasing noticeably each month since interest rates started falling and so, it is not hard to see a fall in the number of properties for sale and the rising number of buyers only means that price falls will be checked.

So, it is no surprise to us that auctions are getting the best results because most buyers turn their attention to auction properties in the understanding that serious sellers follow the auction method to sell their properties. They don't want to wait 6 – 12 months to sell them - they want them sold in a reasonably quick timeframe and therefore buyers are drawn to auction properties.

Whilst we understand that our sale of 12 out of 13 properties at auction just a week ago is the best auction result in Australia in over 14 months and can be attributed perhaps to the fact that we are Ray White's No.1 auction office in Australia and more skillful at this process, but clearly the results do indicate a lot more buyers are out in the marketplace.

The signs are there and those who delay in moving to secure properties in this current market will have missed out on the best buying opportunities.

Kind regards,

Andrew P. Bell

Chief Executive Officer

Personally, i think it comes down to the individual property and the price you pay/paid for it. Also, if you purchased in the 200k-400k market, you cannot compare the loss to a $1M property. You might lose 10k in the lower end of the market as oppose to 100k but i am sure most people are in it for the long run and will be able to make it through these tough times. Think positive ftw.

I rang my bank manager on last week just to see if my CLC was still viable and he said he just had an investor in who had bought 5 on the GC. I don't know whether its just the fhb market or not, but I have a feeling things are moving here. Projects like apartment blocks and townhouses seem to have started work again too.

This article has really scared me. Im having second thoughts about rushing into my first house, especially before end of june this year, just to get the first home owners grant boost.

Problem is there is so many mixed comments going around, i cant make a decision to buy or wait.

Hi Tone,

You have probably read the article from Troyhunt.

Personally, I analise the information that agents release keeping in mind that they have their own agenda.

There is activity in the market from First Home Buyers like yourself and a few astute investors. The market has in no way turned around.

Auction results are better because sellers are desperate to sell. Why would anyone put their property to auction in this market unless they were desperate sell?

In saying that:

The Gold Coast is a Mecca for investors and most of us on SS talk about property as investors. You are not looking to invest but to purchase your first PPOR.

Certain parts of the Gold Coast are better than others. Others worse. I would assume you would be looking to a more residential suburb than somewhere like Surfers full of high rises?

If you do your research, you will find a bargain property. Your PPOR is something you will hopefully hold onto for a VERY long time and you will reap the benefits from it if you do. The Gold Coast is not currently booming. You will not be buying at inflated prices.

If you need the FHOB Grant to buy - I would be doing it and getting into the market rather than worrying if now was the right time over a few thousand dollars that will make no difference in the long term.

Regards JO

Back