Buying sight unseen - any dos or don'ts

Thinking about maybe buying interstate and I'm wondering if any people who have bought sight unseen have any advice for me. I'm not saying that I might not be able to fly in for a look around but just wondering if it's not possible, can I still buy something and just try to cover my bases, ask the right questions to make sure I'm getting a good property.

How do you know what the street looks look and the area????

Do you trust the real estate agents opinions on the property???

Do you send in a building inspector and ask their advice????

What are the dos and don'ts?

Thanks in advance,

Lisa

Call up a few property managers from a different real estates, and get their opinion on the area and the house. Definately have a building and pest inspection done.
Cheers

Shuttergirl,

Buying sight unseen is IMHO for experienced investors only.

You'd want to have purchased a couple of IPs in your local area first to get the feel of the whole business. There is a lot to learn about the negotiating / purchasing / tenant selection / reno if required, etc etc process.

Only then will you have enough experience to invest sight unseen and you won't need to be asking the forum what Q's you will need to ask or if you need building inspections or trust REA's. Come on........

To answer your specific Q's - in your case - Just Don't. (buy sight unseen that is).

Aimy.

Shuttergirl,

You'd want to have purchased a couple of IPs in your local area first to get the feel of the whole business. There is a lot to learn about the negotiating / purchasing / tenant selection / reno if required, etc etc process.

Only then will you have enough experience to invest sight unseen and you won't need to be asking the forum what Q's you will need to ask or if you need building inspections or trust REA's. Come on........

To answer your specific Q's - in your case - Just Don't. (buy sight unseen that is).

Aimy.

Fully agree. Not worth it.

Hi Lisa,

We are relatively inexperienced and have bought interstate sight unseen. Our first purchase was with the help of a buyers agent, and while we learned a lot by going through the process, we didn’t feel they added that much additional value for the amount of fee…

So we decided to take a trip to Brisbane to search for our next IP ourselves. During our trip we had a good look at some areas, but unfortunately we didn’t find a suitable IP. We continued to look at RE.com for new listings, and something came up that looked interesting, so we rang the agent and asked him for additional photo’s, which he emailed through.

We also rang a property manager to see what their opinion of the street was, and whether tenants would find this an attractive area.

Buying sight unseen, it’s essential to include pest and building inspections as a condition, as that will be a way out if something would be wrong.

We bought our 2nd IP sight unseen, and the process has been painless. We did feel a bit nervous as it is a bit of a jump, but it turned out fine for us. However if you’re not sure, you can use a buyers agent as they will take away all the uncertainties.

Cheers
Scoofy

I think sight unseen is for more experienced investors, only in the sense that they would take the long view and not be too worried about smaller things. I've done sight unseen (except for photos). Two properties turned out to be not as good as I thought (one has a small living room and another was pretty decrepit).

Still, the decrepit one was in Perth in 2004. The other one was overpriced (but I went ahead anyway, just because I was desperate to buy) but is now showing some gains. The key is that you have to believe in property and/or be experienced enough (the two often go hand in hand) to be able to shrug off these things. I recently saw the Perth property (2 years after I bought it) and thought 'this is pretty crappy'. The funny thing is that I probably wouldn't have bought it if I'd actually seen it back then! Learned a lot of that experience.
Alex

Last edited:
Call up a few property managers from a different real estates, and get their opinion on the area and the house. Definately have a building and pest inspection done.
Cheers

Thanks Ralph, that's where I am going to start next week.

Aimy.

Point taken

All the usual - get a building/pest inspection, talk to other REA/PM's in the area, get photos of place if you desire, do your research on the area well, use GE to make sure there are no nasty surprises the REA neglects to mention (eg. opposite an abbatoir ) etc.

Check out this thread:

http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17067

Great advice Steve. My in laws live in Ballarat and if I couldn't get there (which I will definitely me aiming to do) I would send them to check out the area. But I take on board what other's have said about needing to see the property.

Scoofy, thanks so much for sharing your experiences. I really appreciate it.

Great story about Perth Alexlee. I guess it worked out good for you in the end.

shuttergirl - have a read about buyers agents..

I bought my first (only..) property locally.. but i'm not buying another one here.
I haven't yet decided if it'll be sight unseen..

My thoughts on sight unseen is that it is for experienced investors only (people who have more money and can put in extra if needed or risk manage a bad investment easily as only a small percentage of portfolio e.g 0.5 %).

Today, I went for a drive with Real Estate Agent (hubby's relation) we looked at a house for our daughter.

I have no doubt that this house will sell this Saturday for $260K or thereabouts because not much is for sale out of flood in a nice area for that price.

It had so many problems; needed painting inside & out, garage did not have internal entry, no shower screen, one bedroom did not have built ins.

I am sure the carport is not the correct set back from boundary.

The garden was sloped and would require redesign. There was an external rock wall with bad step ups off kerb - I could for see some one tripping and falling and injuring themselves easily.

We discussed a better house for $250K which backs onto a Dept of housing area that has social and criminal problems with litter every where.

Then he took me to a block of land that the developer wants to sell I could get $20k off.

All I could see was corner block, retaining wall needed around corner, not enough land to build what we want and possibly we would need to put up a nice block wall as a retaining wall on back boundary.

Back to square one - we have seen a block of land that is for sale, good area our Agent is not the selling agent so commisson will be less for him.

We see value in this block of land BUT we will have to pay near listing price, so come Monday I will put in a 3rd bid for this block of land.

I am going to pay more, but I see the block of lands position is better eg near shops and school, slopped block so will cost me more to build on.

The builder we will use will cost us more than a project home (who only build on flat blocks of land) but I figure we are building value & quality.

Regards
Sheryn

Last edited:
Hi Shuttergirl,

I personally wouldn't risk buying sight unseen. I have seen many properties that look great on the net, but when you get inside them the story is completely different. The reverse applies as well actually. I have seen properties that don't look good on the net, and they turn out to be ok!

I am finding that as I accumulate more properties in my portfolio I am becoming more and more particular! This can be bad if it stops you buying something! The more I learn about property, the more I understand that there is no such thing as 'the perfect property'. But then again, I wouldn't be happy buying without personally inspecting the property.

Regards Jason.

Of course, this is why I have asked the question. I needed all of your much more experienced people to share your opinions and experiences with me. I will definitely either inspect before purchasing or hire a buyers agent.

Shuttergirl,

Aimy.

While I agree it is wise to be cautious, it certainly isn't rocket science either.

Phil.

Hi Shuttergirl,

We are also from Canberra and have bought some IPs sight unseen.

The thing is with Canberra (whilst it has shown some good growth!) it is expensive to get into even for a very basic entry level property. Which is why we wanted to buy something interstate.

Whilst I think it is a good idea to see the IPs before buying, it can be difficult to do in reality, especially where the properties are selling quickly, by the time you get there it might be sold, and you might think it is all too hard. So don't let the desire to see the IP stop you from buying at all.

Also, I don't see any reason why you can't have someone else inspect the place on your behalf, make observations and take photos, as long as they have no conflict of interest (eg not the selling agent!). You just need to make sure you seperate the facts from their own personal opinions.

One IP that we bought we made subject to a valuation (as well as the normal finance and building inspection). By making it subject to a valuation you can be reasonably confident that even if it is not what you think it is, it is at least worth approx. what you paid for it. We also have had the building inspector take photos of any eyesores in the immediate area as he knew we were not viewing it ourselves.

Hi Shuttergirl,

Also, I don't see any reason why you can't have someone else inspect the place on your behalf, make observations and take photos, as long as they have no conflict of interest (eg not the selling agent!). You just need to make sure you seperate the facts from their own personal opinions.

One IP that we bought we made subject to a valuation (as well as the normal finance and building inspection). By making it subject to a valuation you can be reasonably confident that even if it is not what you think it is, it is at least worth approx. what you paid for it. We also have had the building inspector take photos of any eyesores in the immediate area as he knew we were not viewing it ourselves.

Good advice.

Phil.

Poppy, thank you very much for your thoughtful reply. If I couldn't get down there I would definitely have my in-laws inspect and then all of the relavant inspections done also. I like the idea of having the "subject to valuation" in there

Hi Shuttergirl

From a BA's point of view....

If you're going to buy sight unseen, and don't have a trusted advocate or friend/relative who can check out the individual property to provide you with an unbiased point of view, consider hiring a BA for the negotiation and acquisition part only. This could at least provide you with peace of mind that you're not buying a lemon, or are somewhat swayed by the selling agent as to the "real" condition/position of the IP. Costs range, depending on the individual services offered, but you get the benefit of a thorough CMA as well as the BA's expertise/knowledge which isn't to be underestimated. Local knowledge is a must when buying in a new area- even if it's sourced via a third party.

Also remember to contact the local council to ensure no surrounding dvpt is likely to impede on your property or future infrastructure/roads upgrades etc are in the pipeline close by, that may affect noise etc.

The "subject to valuation" clause is fairly common with most contracts, though most lenders will usually end up valuing right on purchase price regardless. An independent valuation will yield a more thorough analysis and include recent comparable sales as well as specific data about the property, including replacement costs of the building alone. Valuations range in price from about $450+ but when you consider that you're looking at spending hundreds of thousands of dollars.....

If still anxious that all other boxes are ticked, but you need to see the property before making a final decision, consider signing subject to "final physical inspection satisfactory to the purchaser" or alternatively, depending on where you're buying, use the cooling off period to do this. Be aware, however, that if you do withdraw during the cooling off, you will forfeit 0.25%of the purchase price as penalty (here in NSW) to the vendor for taking the property off the market during this period.

Best of luck with it all- above all, be prepared, ask lots of questions of locals, investors who know the area, agents, PM's, council, even the local police station can be a wealth of information (they'll pretty much tell you where the "bad parts" of town are). If you want to spend the money and time to subscribe to a database such as RPData, then this is also another tool in the arsenal for locating information at your fingertips, such as comparable sales, sales histories, current stock on the market, on the market histories, aerial maps, owners information (eg Dept of Housing streets can put some buyers off) land sizes, street positioning etc. I wouldn't be without it as a BA, that's for sure.

Re: building/pest inspections. These are a must, as well as strata searches if buying units. If you are looking at a property that you may think has plumbing/electrical issues, it may also pay to get these inspected as well, as most building inspectors don't cover these areas and provide a visual inspection only.

Good luck with your search and hope you find a gem soon :)

Hi Shuttergirl,

I was just reading your post & thought i would add my experiences. I bought my second property totally unseen, although several months prior to this purchase i did fly interstate for the weekend to check out different areas, houses, etc. recommended to me by other investors. I found that to be the most exhuasting & frustrating weekend ever. Why? Because i was way too emotionally attached to the properties i was looking at when they're suppose to be for investment purposes only. Most of them that i looked at were already rented out with decent yields but of course i had to nit pick every thing wrong with the house, like i was going to live in it. In the end went home feeling like i achieved nothing. So when i finally decided to buy one in one of the areas that i did look at it was actually over the internet, i did not fly down to look at it, i thought it looked ok on the internet, it had no tenant at the time but it was empty & ready for occupancy. The price was reasonable for the area so i decided to bite the bullet & go for it, must admit quite a gutsy move on my part. There were a couple of things wrong with it after the purchase that i needed to attend to before i was satisfied in renting it out. All in all i have probably spent around $5k to bring it up to scratch, it was vacant for about 6 weeks after purchase but then got a 12 month lease on it yielding 9%, then that tenant left (thank God as she was an absolute whinger), got another tenant pretty much straight away & she has been absolutely fantastic, pays on time & i dont hear a hum from her. She has been there for the past 18 months. To date i have had the property for over 2 years now & i still have not gone down to see it but the transaction went something like this; Purchase price $88000 + legals, etc + another $5k for maintenance (total purchase was under $100k), & just recently got it revalued at $130k. So for a property that i still have not seen has done me quite well in the short time frame, very pleased with this purchase. My other properties are local & didnt really see those either until after signing contracts but did purchase those through a buyers agent. They also seem to be doing ok as well.. That is really my personal experience & by no means recommending you or anyone else do the same, i just wanted to share that with you. Really dont know if i was to do it again if i would do it the same. Anyway alls well that ends well.

Cheers,
Gina.

Back