Buying unseen

PRICE REDUCED!!! – They only reduced by $1K. I love REA…

Anyway I wish they stopped using wide angle lens making properties look at least 20-30% bigger. Does anyone know good tips to find out actual size? They do not have floor plan and believe 40m2 is 50m2 according to their mathematics. Normally I can tell if doors are disproportionately fat in photos but it makes very hard to buy unseen. I could use a local PM to inspect but anything else you can suggest?

Thanks in advance

Is it a unit or house? For houses I use nearmap or googleearth and zoom in and trace around outline of house, then compare with other sales/sizes. I have previously had a relative go through the house/unit for me also. A friend of mine gets a PM to go through properties.

PRICE REDUCED!!! – They only reduced by $1K. I love REA…

Anyway I wish they stopped using wide angle lens making properties look at least 20-30% bigger. Does anyone know good tips to find out actual size? They do not have floor plan and believe 40m2 is 50m2 according to their mathematics. Normally I can tell if doors are disproportionately fat in photos but it makes very hard to buy unseen. I could use a local PM to inspect but anything else you can suggest?

Thanks in advance
Yes those photos are annoying as a buyer.. but they really work! Every seller and agent should use them!

If you are talking a unit/townhouse then sometimes RP data will have floor plans from others in the same complex with a similar or identical design, try googling as well to look at cached data and photos, you can find floor plans quite often this way.

For houses the online tools to measure distance are increasingly good, doesn't help with bedroom size, local council, property/strata managers would be another good source.

If you are talking a unit/townhouse then sometimes RP data will have floor plans from others in the same complex with a similar or identical design, try googling as well to look at cached data and photos, you can find floor plans quite often this way.

For houses the online tools to measure distance are increasingly good, doesn't help with bedroom size, local council, property/strata managers would be another good source.

Thanks everyone. I sometimes find one for sale and lease in same comlex and cant believe the difference. Just a lens... Andrew where can I find the online tools? Or do I need to ask you to find one for me?:D

Thanks everyone. I sometimes find one for sale and lease in same comlex and cant believe the difference. Just a lens... Andrew where can I find the online tools? Or do I need to ask you to find one for me?:D
Nearmap is good, also there are various apps that measure distance using google maps, for value for money it's hard to go past a shared subscription to Price Finder though.

Second Andrew's recommendation about nearmaps. More up to date than google and you really need not to rely on google here.

Case in point: I had a recent client who wanted worst house in best st scenario. When they googled street view the old pink fibro place next door put them off a particular house. When I checked it on near map, however, it was obvious it had a new roof and viola, upon inspection, found that it had been completely rebuilt into a new dwelling! Don't rely on old data- if in doubt go and inspect physically.

Back