Buying USD?

Just wondering if anyone is buying USD? is it worthwhile even if you do plan to go to US one day but not anytime soon?

is it silly to tie up cash?

Just wondering if anyone is buying USD? is it worthwhile even if you do plan to go to US one day but not anytime soon?

is it silly to tie up cash?

One alternative is to buy US share funds that are NOT hedged for FX. Alternatively use Comsec or whatever and buy some US shares directly.

It's starting to look VERY tempting.
Alex

One alternative is to buy US share funds that are NOT hedged for FX. Alternatively use Comsec or whatever and buy some US shares directly.

It's starting to look VERY tempting.
Alex

Does the US have anything similar to LIC or ETF where you can just buy one stock with a large spread?

Cheers

Luke

If you think this is a blow-off top on the A$ (I don't, I'm on record for calling eventual parity, 4 yrs ago) and intend to travel to the US you hedge the A$, ie buy USD futures. This ties up far less money than storing traveller's cheques.

But for tourist dollars it hardly seems worth the effort. If you were buying a fleet of Caterpillar dump trucks for your new mine it may well be. :)

ive got 1000 x $1 USD notes tucked away.....its great stuff, the smell of democracy

at one time a few years ago, i had in my hands $100,000 USD cash (not $1 denoms in that instance). took over a week to arrange, via syd, to perth, pretty small briefcase to be honest. was a pretty good feeling, alas, wasnt mine so had to give it back!!

Does the US have anything similar to LIC or ETF where you can just buy one stock with a large spread?

There are definitely ETFs, and something called closed end funds (listed mutual funds). Similar sort of thing to LICs, I believe.

Personally, though, I am planning to buy stable blue chips. Consumer products, that sort of thing.
Alex

can someone explain step by step how to buy USD futures? can I do it on commsec?

Set up an account with a full service broker. Pay the margin (like a deposit) for each contract, hold on, enjoy the ride. Sue if you thought shares were pretty scary i reckon you'll s**t your pants with the futures market. :p :eek: :D

Its not for the faint hearted. Maybe look at something with less leverage. Lets us know how you go.

Back