BuyMyPlace Kicked off Realestate.com.au

But their customer is the RE Agents....... thats where they get their money from.

I didn't realize that real estate agents bought the houses advertised on this re.com, I thought it was Joe public who bought the houses silly me.

The web is just like newspapers, radio and tv it's a medium to get information across to the public about what is available for sale and it shouldn't be allowed to discriminate against people or small companies.

I'm sure if whatever business you are in your advertiser turned around to you and said your company is too small we are only going to accept advertising from multinationals you wouldn't see things in quite the same way.

I don't have a problem with 90% of house sales being done though agents I just believe people should have the choice.

I didn't realize that real estate agents bought the houses advertised on this re.com, I thought it was Joe public who bought the houses silly me.

RE.com doesn't sell the houses. The Agents do. RE.com just provides the advertising service for the agents, for a fee. Don't you know how it works?

The web is just like newspapers, radio and tv it's a medium to get information across to the public about what is available for sale and it shouldn't be allowed to discriminate against people or small companies.

I'm sure if whatever business you are in your advertiser turned around to you and said your company is too small we are only going to accept advertising from multinationals you wouldn't see things in quite the same way.

I don't have a problem with 90% of house sales being done though agents I just believe people should have the choice.

This is getting academic now particularly if as suggested by sell your own house re.com allows private sellers now but nonetheless;

realestate.com is not actually selling houses.

the agents are selling the houses.

realestate.com is selling an advertising space, they are not selling the houses themselves.

In the same way when you see an add in the local newspaper for fish and chips the newspaper is not selling fish and chips either. The newspaper like re.com wants everyone that can to look at their ads (jo public) but this is only so they can get paid by the fish and chip shop owner for advertising space.

In this case the local rag might decline a brothel wanting a full page front page add (even if jo public might use them) because it would affect the rest of their business from the fish and chip shop owner and the paper does have a limited right to do that because other advertisers would not want to be associated with that medium any more... I do agree this is a limited power though and it is not certainly always the case you can restrict the trade of another. We sometimes have to hire kit to our direct competitors!

Do you think real estate agents want private sellers being able to sell on re.com? I don't think so, so it only seems natural to me they would want to protect the revenue of those who pay them the most money even if it costs a few sales in the short term. The law might say differently but their first reaction is only natural.

Back