Can all banks just tap into your C/C info ?

My wifey was talking to the Com' the other day and to her horror they just went and clicked up all of my credit card info , where I'd spent money, where she'd spent money , the limits.
She only gave him my nameand her info not mine , I'm not even with them and the actual loan inquiry itself was in her name.

Can all the banks do that , just go and tap into your private info without you giving them the accounts or details or ?
Worse still , do they always do that behind your back when you go for any finance ?

Cheers

Nope.

We can only access our own customer details. We don't share information.

If we have your permission, we can do a credit search, but generally only when you are applying for finance. The details on a credit search do not provide the details you have indicated.

could one bank have owned or have had some relationship with the other?

Unlikely. I haven't seen this happens with BankWest CBA or any of the other takeovers of late.

If it's with the same bank, the person at the desk can see all of your accounts at a glance, kind of the same way you see the info on your online banking.

A different bank can see your credit report which shows any inquiries and defaults, but it doesn't have detail on the amounts owning or transaction history.

For the CBA, an offhand mention and a 2 minute conversation will constitute a 'loan inquiry' in their eyes and will be recorded as such. You don't need to sign anything.

Who's the primary cardholder? you or her? If its her then the account is her account and she can check what she wants to.
In saying that their system operates on hyperlinks and I dont think discriminates who the owner of the card is.
So it was probably more an issue that the staff person shouldnt have accessed the info, but also that they didnt check to see who the primary cardholder was.

My wifey was talking to the Com' the other day and to her horror they just went and clicked up all of my credit card info , where I'd spent money, where she'd spent money , the limits.
She only gave him my nameand her info not mine , I'm not even with them and the actual loan inquiry itself was in her name.

The credit card would have been a CBA credit card. By the sounds of it you both have a card on the facility. one of you will be the primary cardholder and the other the secondary cardholder. Only the the primary cardholder should be given information on the account. If you're unsure on who is the Primary holder take a look at the statement. It will be address to the primary holder.

Can all the banks do that , just go and tap into your private info without you giving them the accounts or details or ?

The bank only has access to your personal information in relation to the accounts you hold there. When applying for a credit facility you will be asked to sign a privacy form which will allow the lender to access your CRAA report and also contact other credit providers if they see fit.
Just on the point of your bank accessing your information, a staff member isn't allowed to access your information held with their own bank unless there's a justified need or you are requesting it. There have been occassions where staff have been dismissed for doing name searches for celebrities and even board members/CEO's of their own bank. Another common reason is staff accessing their spouses or ex's details.

Worse still , do they always do that behind your back when you go for any finance ?

They can't as mentioned above . That's why you sign one of their privacy forms. After that they should be able to find out whatever they want. Afterall it's their money and they're not going to find anything suprising as all financial details have been recorded on your application.

Or have they? :rolleyes:

I've just re-read Blaster's original post. In it he said: "I'm not even with them".

So something is seriously amiss here and I think Blaster should clarify the CC account details. The bit about a casual inquiry being "an application" and no sig is req'd is worrying.

Hi guys.

The rep actually came out to our home to meet her and go over some potential financing , in her name .
My wife did not actually fill out an application form as such though at this stage but they did go into her earnings on paper , nothing signed .
If she came up short I'd said , see what sort of figure he'll offer if I put one of the properties against the loan , which are in my name.
So there was a need for him to ask her loosely I guess about my earnings but she said he was mainly concerned with the properties details .

She did give him my full name but nothing was signed or permission asked for. Next minute he'd tapped a few keys and was reading out details about my accounts, cards and spending, that aren't even through the Com.

My wife does have her main account with them and said she does often make card payments through the Com , but they aren't Com cards or accounts , I've never set foot in the door.
I use someone else entirely.

Cheers

Last edited:
I'm on your side Blaster but there seems to be two points that need "yes. no" answers.

Was the CC account the bank johnny pulled up with the bank brand you were physically sitting in? You are saying "no" in which case there has been a serious breach of privacy.

If it is, is your wife a signatory on the account? If so as primary or secondary card holder? If she was the primary acc holder there is nothing out of the ordinary. If a secondary acc holder, but with the bank you were talking to, then I will bow to expert opinion.

Hi guys.

The rep actually came out to our home to meet her and go over some potential financing , in her name .
My wife did not actually fill out an application form as such though at this stage but they did go into her earnings on paper , nothing signed .
If she came up short I'd said , see what sort of figure he'll offer if I put one of the properties against the loan , which are in my name.
So there was a need for him to ask her loosely I guess about my earnings but she said he was mainly concerned with the properties details .

She did give him my full name but nothing was signed or permission asked for. Next minute he'd tapped a few keys and was reading out details about my accounts, cards and spending, that aren't even through the Com.
My wife does have her main account with them and said she does often make card payments through the Com , but they aren't Com cards or accounts , I've never set foot in the door.
I use someone else entirely.

Cheers

Sounds like a magic computer to me. I don't know of any programmes or credit reports that would give such information.

If on the other hand he was using MB software and your wife had given him some information, all he would have been doing was reading back information imputted. There's also servicing calculators that would make mention of minimum monthly spending (as per a lenders policy) and also credit commitments on credit facilities such as credit cards (using their limits).

I don't for one minute believe that there is a computer out there that can just bring up all your bank details, spending details, underwear colour etc with the tap of a button.

BTW they're red ;)

Hi guys.

I'm happy to hear that this is not typical from banks then but on this occasion , hmmm , got to wonder .
No , I wasn't there and they are my cards, my name and with totally different banks.
But she does have full rights to sign or spend and carries her own secondary pair of those same cards. She also often makes payments on those cards , through her Com' acc' because she does all the bills, so that would show up and the some card details .
But he actually read out to her the card balances , their credit limits the lot and yes , just brought the lot up on the laptop.

Ahwell , who knows what info is really available about us these days to these people or anyone else for that matter.
They won't be happy until we're all bar coded.
Cheers
PS , I see the ID cards gonna make a comeback , first step.

PS , in all fairness though I'd better mention given the old bank thread going on over the way.
He was a bloody good bloke this guy all the same and offered 4 or 5 different scenarios where by they will finance our units and a house and the different and very creative actually , techniques he can use .
He offered this advice and that and really dug around. We're actually having him out again together to be honest because he was one of the best we've come across, view to swapping some things around and going ahead with the projects we're onto.

Cheers

Back