Can anyone help to know whether I'm on TICA?

Hi friends,

I've been renting a house for last 22 months and have been a good tenant. I normally pays my rent upfront for the whole month rather than weekly or fortnightly. However, sometime due to the 30/31 days problem in each month, I sometimes end up lagging in one week rent. As soon as I get an SMS from my agent about that I used to pay it off. Now my rent lease is going to finish and I was looking for a change due to the location. I found one good house and put an application in advance. Eventhough all the paperwork were perfect and I have a decent job and salary, somehow I didn't get successful in the application. I was so disappointed. Then, while searching through the net on the criteria for application approvals, I came to understand about TICA recording the details of tenants. Now I'm really worried whether my rental agent has put me on this list or lot (may be for any minor reason or overlooked or probably being a potential client to hang on whenever they increased the rent). I know there are so many helping people on this forum who can give me some advice. Does the real estate agents put the tenants name on TICA for minor reasons, eventhough they've never shown any displeasure about my tenancy during last 22 months. Can you pls help? I can PM my details if anyone could check in the TICA and provide me whether I'm included in the (Schindler's) list or not. This would potentially keep me rejected by all such rental agents and I'll be bound to be homeless or abide with any unreasonable rent increase....:confused:

Being late doesn't put you on the register but if they asked your current agent for an opinion he/she would have told them that you're often late.

Even if they didn't say anything, other agents will often ask for a copy of the rent ledger when they are checking up your references and if you are not up to date it will show up and won't help your case

Sorry to say, but I would not consider you a "good tenant", as you admit to being late on your rent quite regularly.
To me, you would be the "average tenant".

Being late doesn't put you on the register but if they asked your current agent for an opinion he/she would have told them that you're often late.

^ ^ ^ what he said.

You won't be on TICA for being late, but your rental reference from your agent won't be that good.

You can not be put on tic a during a tenancy. The most likely thing would have been that the agency that you applied through would have asked for a copy of your tenancy ledger and if what you said is true it would show that at times you paid your rent in arrears not in advance. Contact your current agent and ask for a copy of the ledger.

As the others have said, paying late is not the mark of a good tenant.

In a hot rental market, owners get a choice of tenants. Agents will often detail what references they got from previous agents. If an owner had a choice between someone who is said to be often late in paying rent, and someone who isn't, then you're probably going to lose out.

I am actually a little worried that we will have a bad name when it comes time to move even though we arent at fault.

We also pay monthly due to our pay cycle even though initially we were paying fortnightly, but on the months where the weeks dont line up we pay 5 weeks instead of 4 to ensure we dont fall behind. Thanks to the real estate's crappy system our ledger shows the weeks that dont line up as being 1 week in credit but also 1 week behind at the same time :eek:

Easy enough to explain but generally if it was going to make someone's decision for them then we would never be given the oppurtunity.

I am actually a little worried that we will have a bad name when it comes time to move even though we arent at fault.

We also pay monthly due to our pay cycle even though initially we were paying fortnightly, but on the months where the weeks dont line up we pay 5 weeks instead of 4 to ensure we dont fall behind. Thanks to the real estate's crappy system our ledger shows the weeks that dont line up as being 1 week in credit but also 1 week behind at the same time :eek:

Easy enough to explain but generally if it was going to make someone's decision for them then we would never be given the oppurtunity.

why not pay an extra week now and then continue to pay as normal? then you will never have that problem.

Because we already pay a month in advance when we only need to pay 2 weeks. Why should I give them more money in advance just because their payment system cant handle anything other than payments in groups of 2 weeks?

Because we already pay a month in advance when we only need to pay 2 weeks. Why should I give them more money in advance just because their payment system cant handle anything other than payments in groups of 2 weeks?

Because they're the ones who give you a reference on your next rental.

Because they're the ones who give you a reference on your next rental.

as a mostly self managing LL i would look at a consistently 1 day late payment as just a pay cycle thing and nothing else. but professional PMs wouldn't. do you value the reference or not?

The other thing to conside is that maybe a better tenant applied for the same house?!?

Seriously, people have got to stop assuming everything is personal! You missed out on ONE place - that doesn't automatically mean there is something wrong with you as an applicant (although if you are using your REA as a referee, then late payment likely WILL have an impact). It may just mean that you were beaten out by a BETTER applicant.

TICA is not just a bad tenant database, it is meant to be a tenant database. It pays to ask your landlord to put you on as a good tenant (if that's the case, otherwise keep quiet)

A.

Last edited:
Back