Can anyone interpret my dream?

I had a dream the other night which is a regular one I have.... I would say every three months or so.

In the dream we have returned to the house that we bought when first married and in which we had our three children. We had planned to stay there forever. We renovated it to make big living areas but it only had two bedrooms with a tiny sleepout joining them, so our plan was to dig out where the land dropped away and add bedrooms and another bathroom and play area.

Anyway, we moved because of the proposed parallel runway. The decision took us a year to make and it was a hard one. (With hindsight the proposed runway has not had any adverse effect on the area - even though it is not yet built.)

So, we left our dream house and started another chapter in our lives. Whilst the house we left would have risen (probably) more than where we moved to because it is in a very sought after area, we bought in another sought after area, and renovated again, before selling and moving to where we now live (renovating yet again - also a sought after area).

I do wonder though why I keep dreaming of the first house so often. I believe that dreaming of houses is not a reflection of a "housing" issue and that it means something else to a dream interpreter, but I cannot find out what it means.

In the dreams, we are either back in the house, having bought it back and poking around to see what the new owners did to renovate it, or wondering why they renovated it like they did. (In reality, they added a story and totally stuffed up the look of the place. I would not buy it now as it has lost its beauty with the horrible second story plonked on top.)

Other times, we are sneaking back in while the new owners are away and feeling guilty and sometimes they arrive home while we are still inside and I start to panick.

Would love to know just what dreaming of houses means (I think it is the state of your finances, or something like that??) and why I keep dreaming of this one house and so regularly.

I don't yearn for the house. We did love it for ten years and it was hard to leave, but it is now ten years later. While it was a lovely 1930s bungalow, we would probably go ultra modern if we had a choice now, so I just don't understand why I keep dreaming I am back there (sneaking about OR otherwise).

Anyone have any ideas?

Wylie

Hi Wylie,

Not too good on the old dream interpreting business, but here goes: maybe it represents a time in your life when you had more choices and possiblities available to you and your other half.

When I met my wife, we rented her fathers house (because he had already retired and lived elsewhere) while we were both students. I really loved that house. It wasn't anything flash, but it was built in the 1950's, had lovely wooden floors and a very nice atmosphere. I still think about that place but mainly I think because we were newly weds, and although we drove in an old car 45 mins to get to uni, we seemed to have more time available to us than what we do now. We also enjoyed discussing ideas over a few drinks, now our discussions are about what will take the least amount of time to cook so we can go to bed because we are tired. :p

In essence, it may be a longing to return to the ideas and feelings that you had at that time. Only you really know :)

Phil

Wylie,

I have exactly the same dream! Now this odd:cool:

Almost same circumstances as yours but our beautiful period home belonged to my grand parents. I feel a great attachment to the house even though I dont feel a need to buy it back etc

I have a different slant in my dream. When I go back to visit, the house is haunted and I definatly feel a presence in the hallway etc. I wake up feeling a little frightened. Mr Bird also has these dreams...very strange.

As to what our dreams mean...I'm not quite sure

Mrs Bird:)

I had a dream the other night which is a regular one I have.... I would say every three months or so.

In the dream we have returned to the house that we bought when first married and in which we had our three children. We had planned to stay there forever. We renovated it to make big living areas but it only had two bedrooms with a tiny sleepout joining them, so our plan was to dig out where the land dropped away and add bedrooms and another bathroom and play area.

Anyway, we moved because of the proposed parallel runway. The decision took us a year to make and it was a hard one. (With hindsight the proposed runway has not had any adverse effect on the area - even though it is not yet built.)

So, we left our dream house and started another chapter in our lives. Whilst the house we left would have risen (probably) more than where we moved to because it is in a very sought after area, we bought in another sought after area, and renovated again, before selling and moving to where we now live (renovating yet again - also a sought after area).

I do wonder though why I keep dreaming of the first house so often. I believe that dreaming of houses is not a reflection of a "housing" issue and that it means something else to a dream interpreter, but I cannot find out what it means.

In the dreams, we are either back in the house, having bought it back and poking around to see what the new owners did to renovate it, or wondering why they renovated it like they did. (In reality, they added a story and totally stuffed up the look of the place. I would not buy it now as it has lost its beauty with the horrible second story plonked on top.)

Other times, we are sneaking back in while the new owners are away and feeling guilty and sometimes they arrive home while we are still inside and I start to panick.

Would love to know just what dreaming of houses means (I think it is the state of your finances, or something like that??) and why I keep dreaming of this one house and so regularly.

I don't yearn for the house. We did love it for ten years and it was hard to leave, but it is now ten years later. While it was a lovely 1930s bungalow, we would probably go ultra modern if we had a choice now, so I just don't understand why I keep dreaming I am back there (sneaking about OR otherwise).

Anyone have any ideas?

Wylie

Wylie,

generally dreaming of "your house" is your spiritual house, so you might be going back into your past to reflect on what could have happended if you still had it, or feeling guilty about not leaving the past or some part of the past (thus the guilt when the owners come home).

I would sense that if you felt you replaced the feeling of that previous house you would move on.

Tim

Wylie, my 2 cents worth is that you are not feeling secure in the world at the moment......think about:

your relationships with spouse, children, family, in laws
your inner sense of peace with self
your relationship with neighbours
your financial sense of security
you and your partner's job security
whether you or your partner or immediate family have had a health crisis that has impacted you with how fragile and temporary life is.

It seems you are subconsciously desiring to return to something secure and known and warm... that can only be when the present is missing some of that in a critical area.

It is a common theme to return to a secure place or relationship in your dreams when you are feeling emotionally vulnerable. this often occurs when you are going through a new life transition, one that you are uncertain about how to transact. it is also common when a man is going through a mid life crisis, having realized he doesn't like his job, but is now too old and financially locked in to risk change, and the boss is deriding him.

You might help yourself with that transition by confronting any insecurities and fears head on. It is only when we act in the real world to resolve the uncertainty, that we turn off the fear that keeps the subconscious running back to security most nights. Sometimes, this might require reconciling your spiritual beliefs, which are so commonly put away in the too hard basket when younger.

It is reasonable to expect that when one is psychologically resilient, that they should be able to embrace change with enthusiasm and optimism, rather then pining for a past place or time. To be overly attached to a past home is a sign that one has not transitioned into the present with resilience.

Wylie

I am not an expert on interpeting dreams but to me it seems like it's your mind bringing those thoughts back and enhances them with some of your imagination. I take it you have a lot of imagination, no?

You started your family there so it meant a lot to you, you also had plans to
extend it, to make it even better and to keep it forever.
All these things are in the back of your head and come back to you in the form of a dream.

I think if you stop thinking of the house when you are awake, you will also stop dreaming about it.
Are you dreaming when you sleep on your back?
That's when I dream the most so I generally avoid sleeping on my back.
I hope this helps.

Cheers

Wylie, that's bizarre, I have also had the same sort of dream, quite often after I sold my first house and not so much since - about every few months. In my dream I'm sneaking around in the yard checking out what the new owners have done to the place while they are out and get panicked because I hear them return home and can't get away. In some dreams, this house and other houses in the street are all being renovated as well and I feel annoyed that I sold it (no need for interpretation there)!

Winston's explanation sounds very plausible for my situation anyway ie security etc as I am now living with my b/f and dependent on him for housing.

I don't know much about dream interpretation(s) Wylie...but I keep having this dream about Sting (singer/songwriter)...and it is so real, just so real!

I wake in the night ...am in bed and he is sitting at the foot of my bed playing guitar and singing softly, always the same song, "Fields of Gold"...he is in jeans with no shirt on...I don't mind his music, but I'm not his biggest fan by a long shot.

Then we talk, in between his playing and singing we talk about stuff...I can never remember it...the dream isn't real frequent, every couple of weeks for a while, then every month now...but it is so real.

I went and bought a cd of his after the first few dreams, thought maybe I should listen to it? and I really enjoy our conversations, despite not remembering them...definitely a little sexual attraction going on (my end-you'd have to ask him if reciprocal:p ) and he is way older than me...and in real life he doesn't do that much for me..

And the dream keeps coming back, again and again...I remember saying to myself I must ask him what's going on here? I meant to take a notepad and pen to bed...it's a weird dream, but in a really nice way...not in a stalky freaky way...:)

????? just don't know what to make of it.

NB: I have been involved in some songwriting lately...quite a bit actually, maybe it's something to do with that and I've just thrown a little sex appeal in on the job??

Last edited:
I am surprised that there are few others who also have similar dreams to mine. After the last time I had it, I discussed it with hubby (he rolls eyes and pretends to be interested :p ). We went to Oxford Street for a bite and movie and we sat there discussing how bad the traffic into the city must be with the hundreds and hundreds of extra houses that are now there. The trip in to the city ten years ago when we left was pretty bad, it must be a nightmare now.

We discussed the fact that prices in the suburb have risen considerably above Brisbane's average (it is Balmoral, right next door to Bulimba and Oxford Street - very trendy and sought after). We also discussed how if we had kept that house, we would have probably sold our IP to do the extra bedrooms. I have no doubt we would then have bought another IP or more, but I believe that we would be no better off than we are now. In fact, we both agreed that it was a good move financially.

So, I don't regret selling, and my life is great, so I don't think I am burying any issues. Maybe it is just that because I take our old neighbour out every fortnight I am regularly seeing our old house. Whilst it was a lovely landmark house, they have ruined it, so it is (to my eyes) not an appealing house anymore.

Anyway, one day I will ask a dream interpreter to see if I can get to the bottom of it. I also regularly dream that I am in a dancing concert but have forgotten the dances, and don't want to be be there. This really did happen when I was 17 and started work in the November and had a dancing recital in the December. I didn't want to let the dance company down so went ahead, but still dream about it, although not nearly as much as the house dream.

Wylie

PS. Our Obsession.... if I found Sting on the end of my bed, we wouldn't be having a discussion :)

Dream interpretation

Hi wylie
My thoughts on your dream- it sounds to me an unresolved issue to do with your family. Houses often indicate...houses...,or family (home is where the heart is.)
It seems to me your head is saying one thing and your heart another. Your heart wants to go back and resolve it and your head says 'there's no need we've left that behind.'
I'd be looking at your feelings about something that happened there to do with your family ,and whether you've really come to terms with it.
Best wishes
Paula

That's just it, though. Nothing happened there. We were upset at selling it at the time, but made a decision with our head. We have all moved on long ago and I cannot think of any particular thing to do with that house. Family problems with hubby's sisters and my brother have escalated since selling that house, but they were still issues when we were there. And they are not really our issues, though we live through the flack that comes with family problems.

But, everyone has family issues, so we are not alone there.

Just curious about why I dream it all the time, but obviously I am not alone in that either.

One day someone will enlighten me.

Funny thing for me is that I have no desire to live there now. If I was traumatised about leaving, I could understand why I dream about going back.

I have looked in a couple of dream books, but my particular dream does not seem to be in any I have looked at.

Wylie

Hi Wylie
It is not the people places or things in the dream that are relevant but more the feelings/emotions you're experiencing within that dream state that hold the key to you gaining greater understanding. What is the primary emotion you are experiencing while dreaming? You may find that it is an emotion that is dominant in your awakened state as well. Your dreams are your subconscious allowing the dominant emotion to create a story. Deal with the emotion and your dreams will change.:) Try it and see.

Simon

Wow! That is really good to know...I love that; dominant emotion creating the story (dream), because they sure feel gooood.:)

So glad you bought dreams up Wylie.

i'm going to go right out on a limb here and suggest that the dream isn't to do with "unresolved emotions", but more the fact that wylie is a serial renovator, who had great dreams with this house but sold it instead. the beautiful plans she had for the house are unfulfilled and the current owners have done a horrible reno job.

perhaps wylie is feeling a little guilty towards the house for not allowing it to become the beautiful home she envisioned. houses have feelings too, and i regularly talk to my properties and, often, they answer (i know, that makes me a certified nutter).

the reason i think this is because i don't dream about houses i've owned, but instead dream of houses i want to own, build, renovate and in my dreams i bring them back to their full glory.

Back