Can I evict tenants ?

I have recently just purchased a property based on profits and receipts (not vacant possession) and it is currently tenanted. Lease is till May next year. Settlement is next month, can I get the tenants out based on the claim that I'm a home buyer and intend to stay in the property myself?

No. You need to abide by the contract which you have bought along with the property.

You could provide incentive to move (ie money to cover moving costs etc) and have the agent who is managing the property help them find an alternative home to rent.

If that doesn't work, send them a notice to vacate coinciding with the end of the tenancy, so at least you have the property at the fist available date after the end of their lease. They may decide to leave early.

If in Queensland then you MUST honour the lease. No exceptions unless you can offer the tenant sufficient $$$ to encourage them to leave early.

From you post, it appears you knew the property was tenanted and agreed that vacant possession would not be given.
Marg

Back