Can I get my holding deposit back and how?

Hello all,

All this happens in Sydney:

I paid 0.25% of purchase price as holding deposit for an off plan properties on last saturday. And I decide not to go ahead now. I want to get the money back.

What I did so far:
1. Last saturday, the agent got my details of driving license, and I signed my name on something like a contract (the agent emailed me says that it just for securing the unit, i have the email record for this)
2. Last saturday, I also paid the 0.25% to him too, the agent wrote a piece of paper and confirm the payment, and he says he is going to post the official one to me, but i didn't receive anything so far, it's already 3 business days.

It seems that the agent is doing something not the way it should be, and I have no confidence on him anymore. So, in my case if I request the refund, what should I do now?

I will contact the agent today, but I have the feeling that he will tell me many things which confuse me, i would like to know any advice before I call him and so i have a clear understanding on my right in this situation.

Thank you!

Tell him that you're no longer interested and want the 0.25% deposit back.

I dealt with two agents when buying my (upcoming) OTP and paid 2 EOI (I assume it's EOI that you paid? If not and they have send you a contract, it might not be refundable). One has crap service, so decided to go with the other one. Asked them for deposit back no problem - it's not suppose to be complicated, it doesn't matter if things are complex on their side, it's not your issue.

Last edited:
Unless your solicitor has received the vendors counter signed contract, or you signed an authority for the agent to exchange, you can pull out and have the 0.25% refunded.

If the contracts have been exchanged and you had no 66W waiver of cooling off rights, then you are able to rescind the contract but will lose your 0.25%. If your solicitor/conveyancer signed a 66W then you are unconditional.

So the moral is, check with your solicitor or conveyancer and have them organise the required letter to cancel the deal.

Just tell them you're no longer interested and want your deposit back. Don't take any crap, don't let them confuse you, just tell them you want your money.

Back