Can openers

I buy the elcheapo can openers, and after a couple of years they need a little bending/adjustment to get them back in shape. After a few years I chuck them out.

So that's about $5 per decade, maybe next decade will cost $10.
I also like that they are so small, taking up very little space in the drawer, the $40 no sharp edges one is nice, tempting, but i probably wouldn't go for that electric one unless i end up with arthritus i guess.

Or wait a minute, is a fancy can opener like a millionaire status symbol or something like that :confused:

I buy the elcheapo can openers, and after a couple of years they need a little bending/adjustment to get them back in shape. After a few years I chuck them out.

Or wait a minute, is a fancy can opener like a millionaire status symbol or something like that :confused:

LOL! I'm with you, my metal $3 opener from Safeway works fine, and has lasted me 10 years so far. I'm not in the millionnaire club yet... when I am, I might celebrate by buying a $40 can opener. :D

Did I mention I force my son to open all my cans for me?

And with his fingernails right, not a can opener? :p

(I never meant to imply you were a bad parent in that Santa thread, I just meant Santa was a big part of my childhood so special to me... so I hope there's no bad feelings :eek:)

Thats very sweet of you :)
Don't be scared to tell me to shutup when I talk too much!

I admired that you guys seemed to care about my son btw.

Vincenzo, I also wanted to say that after I cooled down, I had a think about things. I don't think you are a bad parent. How could I, as I don't know you. You certainly sound like a good dad. Just that one statement about your son and his messy colouring made me squirm.

I knew a family once with three "gifted" daughters, and it made me think of these poor little girls, the youngest pushed into grade one at four and a half years old. In Queensland you have to start grade one the year you turn six, so she was nearly two years younger than some of the kids. She was bright enough, but still sucking her thumb and falling asleep at her desk because she was used to having a daytime nap.

Her parents were simply pushing her way too fast and beyond her capabilities, and this is what I was thinking of.

So, I want to apologise as I also didn't want to judge you. Goodness knows, we are not perfect parents, and if you asked any of our three boys his opinion......... :D

I loved the one that left the edges smooth when the kids were smaller because watching their little wrists hover over a jagged can edge used to give me the vapours

under what situation would the kids hover their little wrists over a sharp can ?

I loved the one that left the edges smooth when the kids were smaller because watching their little wrists hover over a jagged can edge used to give me the vapours

under what situation would the kids hover their little wrists over a sharp can ?

Um!!!! When they are opening a can!! (Perhaps you were really asking about how old the kids were when opening a can???? Kids don't think things through until they are teenagers, in my experience.)

Just wondered :) f it was too dangerous for them to be doing it.... just like handling the big knves in the kitchen, that the kids probalby wouldnt; be left to it

Kids don't think things through until they are teenagers, in my experience.)

Teenagers? I have noticed that teenagers use little of their brain capacity to think anything through. :confused:

Except you, Lil, if your listening. (Nearly got myself in trouble there) :D

Just wondered :) f it was too dangerous for them to be doing it.... just like handling the big knves in the kitchen, that the kids probalby wouldnt; be left to it

LOL. I am the one with the problem, thinking ahead with "what if he cuts himself?". None of them probably ever did.

I am quite sure that many of us posting here have cut their fingers trying to lift a razor sharp lid out of a can that was just opened. I certainly have done so. I just try to avoid my kids hurting themselves when a better tool can avoid that. The can opener that unrolled the top was fantastic.

Vincenzo! i hugged you in the other thread (with ianvestor and the others). I even tried to give you kudos to cheer you up but can't yet.

It's nice to feel the love in these forums again :p. Sometimes they get real cranky.

Can openers... we used to have an electric one and the cat used to drive us crazy if it heard it. We'd be opening baked beans and tripping alll over the cat = Very Dangerous!

We have some lefties who live in this house so anything that a left hander can use is the style we go for.

I'm with you Wylie! My kids always wanted to open their own cans so I was rapt when the Tupperware one came out and I didn't have to panic anymore! Especially our son who started cooking at 7, I would have a fit watching him open cans with the old one...lol
But now I live in the calm relaxed world of safety can openers.
Vincenzo, you know your teddy isn't REALLY alive , don't you????:D ( sorry I had too)
Group hug!

The cheap ones work fine. Most of the time.

Ok, so I've cut myself a few times on lids in the wrong bag in the garbage.

But sometimes the cheap ones just don't cut it. Literally.

They work around halfway, and there's two or three places where it doesn't quite cut through. It becomes a messy and dangerous exercise to try to extricate the food.

They shouldn't be called can openers when they're can't openers.

I do like the Tupperware one. It cuts the side and not the top. Cans are opened cleanly. And consistently. With no cut fingers.

Back