Can someone explain zoning and min lot sizes?

Hi,
The block is zoned R40 with an existing house and i plan to battle axe the block to put a new dwelling at the rear (Survey Strata). Can i assume this means the minimum lot sizes is 200sqm but they must average 220sqm (eg for example if the existing house is 240 and new house is 200 then its ok).

The question i have is about the site cover. It states that 45% must be open space. Now the rear block would be 290sqm plus an 80sqm leg. Does this mean the total building area can be (290sqm + 50% of 80sqm) * 55% = 181sqm? Ie do you include 50% of the leg in calculating the size?

Also can you confirm the total building area = house+garage+store. (does not include porch and alfresco).

Hi,
The block is zoned R40 with an existing house and i plan to battle axe the block to put a new dwelling at the rear (Survey Strata). Can i assume this means the minimum lot sizes is 200sqm but they must average 220sqm (eg for example if the existing house is 240 and new house is 200 then its ok).

The question i have is about the site cover. It states that 45% must be open space. Now the rear block would be 290sqm plus an 80sqm leg. Does this mean the total building area can be (290sqm + 50% of 80sqm) * 55% = 181sqm? Ie do you include 50% of the leg in calculating the size?

Also can you confirm the total building area = house+garage+store. (does not include porch and alfresco).

I'll try :) You are pretty much on the money just some extra points I'll raise

Firstly if you want to use the R40 strata/grouped dwellings allowances listed above the front house needs to use the access leg too and have it's carport/garage come off it. So the front of the access leg will be common property but after that you can use the access leg space in your calculations.

So yes your calculations are pretty much spot on - yes that is how you calculate average and open space.

Don't forget that there is a minimum courtyard area as well which will contribute to your open space.

Building area does include those 3 items BUT it can include alfresco and porches IF they are enclosed on 3 sides. For example if your porch is recessed or has a blade wall on 2 sides and house on the 3rd it's counted but only the part of it which has 3 sides (in the case of a recesses into the house porch it's only the recesses part that is calculated).

An alfresco is allowed to for part of the minimum courtyard area but the courtyard area is not allowed to have roof over more than 2/3rd of it.

I hope that helps

PS that is an awesome size rear block - you could fit a 4 x 2 easily on that.

How big is the total block and what area is it in?

If you really want to future proof yourself and you are going to keep both blocks AND the block is big enough for 3 dwellings I would build the rear dwelling as 1/3rd of a triplex, ie smaller. Then later on when you want you can demolish the front house and put the remaining 2 of the triplex on.

IMHO this is the best way to do it. You get to use the existing building which is on there but you get the long term full potential of the block.

As Westminster said, pretty much spot on. You can also include upper floor balcony areas as open space provided they are open on two sides, which may give you more of a footprint downstairs if need be. Which local government are you in out of curiosity?

Thanks Guys for the confirmation. This is Balga (Stirling)

I subdivided in morley last year with a 309sqm block and 81 shared leg and Ross North could only fit a 3x2 due to its R25 zoning (50% open space plus large courtyard)

Im looking in Balga, Girrawheen and Koondoola. I have heard Balga is saturated with subdivisions but it appeals to me more that the other 2 suburbs since its a bit closer to the beach.

Does anyone know when Balga will rezone to lower density? I wish to put a house on the back but wont have cash flow for 18 months. CAn i put a application through to WAPC and sit on it for up to 3 years?

Back