Size - Build & Retain

Hi everyone,

What do you think is the minimum size you would want the rear block to be, in a battleaxe build and retain scenario, from a practical perspective in terms of being able to build a reasonable single storey house, and also ability to sell (ie. don't want something so small, its undesirable)?

To narrow it down a little, say a R35 700sqm rectangular block with 20m frontage. So from the R-code perspective you would be limited to a minimum size of 220sqm right, but practically, say there is literally only 220sqm in the backyard if you went right to the edge of the existing building, is that enough area to build a rear house? If not, what would a rough minimum size estimate be?

EDIT - Just came across a table suggesting minimum lot area for a R35 rear battleaxe is 395sqm??

Thanks!

Last edited:
Depends on the area and demographics really. Some areas its quite acceptable and expected to have a smaller blocks of around the 200sqm, but then its most likely to be a townhouse. Some people are happy to live in an apartment with a small balcony or in a small 2 bedroom villa with minimal backyard.

I am currently building a 164sqm 3x2 on 260sqm block which is a retain and build corner block so no wasted battleaxe leg etc.

Also have another one that will be around 300sqm block exc the battleaxe leg.

So many options. I would look at popular size house designs, and figure out the blocksize needed to fit that house that way with the required open space as per the r-codes and go from there.

What areas were you thinking?

Would you be able to clarify the minimum open space. Would I be right in saying if the minimum open space is 45%, on a 300 sqm block for example, the building has to be less than 165sqm? Is plot ratio similar?

One of the tables in the R-Codes document lists minimum lot area/rear battleaxe at 395sqm for a R35 but with a minimum site area per dwelling at 220sqm? Please excuse my ignorance :D

Would you be able to clarify the minimum open space. Would I be right in saying if the minimum open space is 45%, on a 300 sqm block for example, the building has to be less than 165sqm? Is plot ratio similar?

One of the tables in the R-Codes document lists minimum lot area/rear battleaxe at 395sqm for a R35 but with a minimum site area per dwelling at 220sqm? Please excuse my ignorance :D

Yes that is open space. But there are other little tricks that can be used to increase footprint like alfresco areas or carports etc open on two sides is not included in the calculations.

Plot ratio is used more for higher density developments which basically gives you the amount of build area over all levels. But gives the same result.

So youll:have your minimum and average site areas in the r-codes. Divide total land area by average and thats how many lots you can fit on. Those lots can be any size down to the minimum lot area aloud ie 220. This is to cater for houses in the middle of the block etc.

Battleaxe lots are a bit different because of the access leg required so theres two ways to go about it according to how you develop. Green title (leg belongs to rear lot) then you would need to meet the battle axe requirement.

Go survey strata (both lots share driveway) then you can go the minimum lot route as long as you meet the driveway 20% (i think) rule.

And then you will want to check the councils TPS to see if they have any special requirements to keep existing house ie upgrades, open space etc

And then in amoungst all that you have the 5% variation allowance which can be applied for.

And to top it all off, its still subject to council approval.

Bit of a minefield but hope this helps.

Mate your a champ! Only question is, what is the 20% driveway rule?

Basicly using the rear battleaxe lot area- the driveway (access leg) can be included in calculating the minimum lot area if it is no more than 20% of the total area.

See table 5.1.1 on i think page 17 or 18 of the r-codes. And theres a picture on page 60 something

What HD_ACE said, general site requirements table attached

Attachments

• 2013 - R-Codes - GENERAL SITE REQUIREMENTS.pdf
    219.1 KB · Views: 90
Back