Can Someone Tell Me if this is Asbestos?

Hi, I'm trying to work out if this is asbestos or not as I would like to sand it down as there is some flaking paint etc. It is quite urgent so I would appreciate any feedback?

This is in a kitchen of a unit in NSW. I can't remember off hand how old the place is but I think built in late 70's or early 80's? It's brick on outside.

These boards in the kitchen are hard, not like gyprock. They are a light grey colour.

Attachments

• 2012-06-21-570_01.jpg
    2012-06-21-570_01.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 198
  • 2012-06-21-575_01.jpg
    2012-06-21-575_01.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 180
  • 2012-06-21-576_01.jpg
    2012-06-21-576_01.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 164
Sorry but the photos are so blurry its hard to make anything out.

What are the internal walls made of, concrete render or gyprock?

I would have thought that being a unit the walls would have been rendered.

The only place where you may not have render is on access ducts (stacks) where the sewer pipes run.

If we are talking about the covers on ducts then given the age of the unit the likelyhood is that it is asbestos.

There is not enough context in the pics to take a guess

If in doubt do not sand.

Cheers

Sorry but the photos are so blurry its hard to make anything out.

What are the internal walls made of, concrete render or gyprock?

Well there is gyprock on all the lounge and bedroom walls. What is behind that I'm not sure?

I would have thought that being a unit the walls would have been rendered.

The only place where you may not have render is on access ducts (stacks) where the sewer pipes run.

If we are talking about the covers on ducts then given the age of the unit the likelyhood is that it is asbestos.

This is kitchen walls and not duct covers. The other walls in the kitchen are made of the same material but I chose these photos as you can see it uncovered in spots. This was where they previously had a fridge so that is why there are some marks etc.

I will upload a couple of more photos. please help as I need to start this tomorrow...

Attachments

• new2.jpg
    new2.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 142
  • new.jpg
    new.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 128
Better photos. The wall next to the cupboard is probably masonite, it was common for cupboard adn kitchen construction in the 60's and 70's.

The wall behind where the splashbacks used to be could be asbestos, or sheet concrete. Or could be plaster or gyprocck. With a face mask on, spray some water on it, can the surface be scratched/gouged with a nail?

It does just look like gyprock/plasterboard to me. If so it can easily be scratched. Absestos products are typically tough. If in doubt, if it was me I would be removing the lot, disposing of it, and re-sheeting with gyprock. Or just tiling over to seal it in.

From someone who has lost family members to asbestosis. Please be careful. This isn't something to take on lightly.

Products that have asbestosis in them aren't always 'hard' in fact quite a lot of things that you might not think of as having asbestos in them will have the material in them. There are different types of asbestos fibers, mostly blue and white fibers that are a give away... but there are companies that can do a full assessment of your property before you start work. At least then you will know where the asbestos is. One common place is in the laminate tiles that were used for wet areas, and also in carpet underlay.

A quick search will offer you some direction on companies in your area to look at.
Here is a start;
http://www.asbestoswise.com.au/

Are you sure the property is late 70's early 80's ??

I had the same colour tile glue on my PPOR when I had retiled and the
tiler said this glue was not manufactured long as it was hard to apply,
My PPOR was built 1969 and at this age you can almost guarantee asbestos
was used throughout the build process.

can you undo one of the powerpoints and see what the sheeting looks like on the inside? if it's brown it'll be masonite.

generally asbestos sheeting is not very smooth and it's very hard. it can't be screwed into because it cracks, so instead nails were punched through.

thanks everyone for the feedback I have been so busy I could not even reply, I'm about to attack it now but I will just wash it down first. Then I will sand down lightly painted areas. Anything that looks like asbestos will be just plastered over with some gyprock sealer as I have a bucket of it so it will go to good use. I will also just paint straight over anything else. I don't have much time as I fly out in a couple of days so this will just be a quick paint to brighten the kitchen up. In the future I will pull out the wall between the kitchen and lounge to make it open plan anyway and at the same time I will get any asbestos taken out as well if there is any here.

FYI you can buy test kits in bunnings where you cut a small sample and send it away to get tested at a labatory. they will send you the results advising whether the material is asbestos or not, takes a couple of weeks. just a thought for next time

Back