Can you build a granny flat, prior to the PPOR?

Hi All,

I was looking a buying some vacant land in Beecroft, NSW which is where we would eventually like to build our PPOR. This would ideally be to stay for long-term. The problem is that due to the high cost of the land, to build our 'dream home' (you know, underfloor heating, triple galzed windows, etc etc) would require some further time to save.

I have seen some of the high end granny flats being spruiked. Really nice. I think that Beecroft is one of those areas where a lot of people will be downsizing soon, but wanting to stay in the same area. A smaller, high end granny flat may be ideal for them.

To that end, is it possible to build a granny flat first using the quick application process via private certifier, and then in a few years build our PPOR. I know the legislation used the phrase "secondary dwelling", but must the first already be present?

The land i am looking at is sufficiently sized to accommodate this (1000sqm+) and if planned from the outset it would avoid the problem of the GF looking shoe-horned into a property.

Is this possible?

Cheers

Others may want to weigh in but from a 'common sense' perspective I would say that it would not be possible. Otherwise you may have situations where a granny flat is approved and built, then the proponent has no obligation to construct a primary dwelling and the site may stay undeveloped for years.

Hi All,

I know the legislation used the phrase "secondary dwelling", but must the first already be present?

Is this possible?

Cheers

Yes. You must have a principle dwelling when applying for granny flat approval. It cant be the first dwelling built on vacant land.

Brazen

hmm I had this same question, asking that could I apply for a DA for a hosue and granny flat and just build the GF... I got a yes from a few people, but found it a bit hard to believe, am sure the council would not sign off on the completion of the DA with the entire house missing? but I vaguely recall something about partial DA completions??

hmm I had this same question, asking that could I apply for a DA for a hosue and granny flat and just build the GF... I got a yes from a few people, but found it a bit hard to believe, am sure the council would not sign off on the completion of the DA with the entire house missing? but I vaguely recall something about partial DA completions??

You can get a 'Staged Development Consent' but the stages would be granny flat AFTER house Im afraid. Secondary dwelling.

Back