Can you buy a house on the sly for someone else using their money etc?

I'm sure you're smart enough to realise that forging someone else's signature is not exactly legal :)

However, i wonder what would happen if they can get a legal and medical document saying that the son in question can not look after himself and is not of sound mind to look after his finances - and therefore, they can become controllers of his "estate". That may be the better option.

it's called "power of attorney". :D

I think she should put him in a potato sack and whack him with a bit of timber.

Have you seen the condition of the houses in communities where their house is a gift?

The other two kids seem ok, its just this one lol

Y'know, noone has actually answered the question that can someone on a pension of ~$20k a year, dubious nature of pension claiming notwithstanding, even get a loan for a $50k house less FHOG?

Just disconnect the phone line so he has no net connection. I doubt he'd last a week there :p

Bugger, someone beat me to it. :D

Depending on savings and what age the child is it may well just be doable on a full-doc. Just got to get him to agree as he would need to sign.
Maybe run through the figures and if it's possible, offer him free internet for a year if he moves out.

You people haven't heard of wireless, have you :D

The mum said one day there was a big connection fee on the Telstra bill and the phone stopped being engaged. In a place with no ADSL, that just screams wireless. Its what we were using when we were living there.

Back