can you use same solicitor as vendor?

I've been using a local solicitor for years and always have used them for conveyancing and legal work. I've just realised that the vendors of a property I'm keen to purchase are also using the same solicitor.

Any harm if we use the same solicitor or should I try find a new one for this property?

Thanks for your help.

Lots of conveyancers taking both sides of the coin for transactions around these parts, I wouldn't do it personally. I'd think the solicitors wouldn't be able to take you on for this matter?

Just called the solicitor to ask the question and he said it's fine. I asked him if he wants me to email him the contract to review his work before I sign. :D

Just called the solicitor to ask the question and he said it's fine. I asked him if he wants me to email him the contract to review his work before I sign. :D

So what happens when theres conditions which suit the vendor, but not the purchaser?

Or you ask for an extension on settlement date/finance etc.

Does he pull out his sock puppet and do a schizophrenic comedy routine?

Unless there is more than one solicitor in the practice (so that each party can have a separate person) I would be very wary.

In the event of a dispute there is a huge risk to impartiality if the one person represents both parties.
Marg

There have been several threads on this topic previously. Avoid this situation unless you are dealing with another solicitor from the same office if it's a large firm eg: Minters etc where there is plenty of separation between different solicitors.

I would use a different one, even if there was more than one person in their office. Protect your interest, I am sure your usual solicitor would know some other good ones and would understand the conflict of interest and why you would like to use a different one from the vendor.

Yes solicitors can act for both sides. There are potential conflict of interests and therefore there are solicitor rules about this.

Back