Canberra rental market sooo bad?

Hmm the price + lifestyle is getting me attracted (as well as partner being a FHB). 500k will get you a 1br+study on the water, above jettys, overlooking mountains in a glamour building. Talk about style. Suits me to the tee compared to much of Cbr.

OTP in Cbr would usually make me run the other direction. But these seem to very well priced in a market that seems to be holding up well. I'm not all that concerned with a low val coming in 2 years time...I would be somewhat surprised if its not at or above the PP.

Lakefront seems to be at least 50k+ more . Dockside 1br+study were going for about 510-550k and that was 2 years ago. Same builder, v.similar build. 1br+study facing street, slightly smaller is going for around 480-500 in the dockside build.

+ the area is taking off. A simple walk around the block on a Sunday - its swarming full of people...would like to know more about builder problems if anyones got specifics! My reading is that it was isolated to the first stock built years ago...

I think partner and I will be looking deeper into this over the next few weeks...

Not at all. Genuinely curious as to what Canberra has to offer, and as to why people choose to reside there. I don't see the climate as a strong selling point.
But hey, each to their own.

For my family, it was work. More pleasant working conditions and higher pay. More lifestyle - less time spent on travel between work and home, more civil and educated population. Quicker accumulation of wealth and retirement - as living proof of that.
:)

Not at all. Genuinely curious as to what Canberra has to offer, and as to why people choose to reside there. I don't see the climate as a strong selling point.
But hey, each to their own.

Yet people have responded several times in the thread already yet you keep coming back with the same "genuinely curious". That would indicate that you're not interested in the answers, only in stirring the pot.

Over priced yuppy boxes! Wow! Still laughing.

$500k+ for a one bedroom apartment in Canberra does seem quite pricey - especially when I'm constantly seeing clients purchasing 3 or 4 bedroom houses with decent size backyards for less (admittedly in less swanky areas than the foreshore).

Cheers

Jamie

$500k+ for a one bedroom apartment in Canberra does seem quite pricey - especially when I'm constantly seeing clients purchasing 3 or 4 bedroom houses with decent size backyards for less (admittedly in less swanky areas than the foreshore).

Cheers

Jamie

Hiya Jamie,

Doesn't make sense to me but horses for courses i suppose.

Cheers Spades.

Ps.Wb :)

I don't see the climate as a strong selling point.

It might be -6 in Canberra but I don't need heating! Canberra has more sunshine in winter than any other Australian city. Even now, at 8.44 am, I have the sun streaming through all my north-facing windows. It will be too hot in here by noon. Autumn, with all the beautiful deciduous trees, is the most beautiful season here.:p

Haha i bet! Only a month or so to go before it warms up! :)

Thanks mate :)

Going to be hard adjusting from 33 degrees to minus 5 but all good - looking forward to getting back into the office today and getting a break from the kids :)

Cheers

Jamie

I think its a supply and demand issue, rather than build type. Supply of 3/4 bedders is everywhere in Cbr.

E.g. anyone with a 2 bedder near Sydney CBD could move out to a 7 bedder mansion out in Ctown and pocket loads of cash.

But everyone has their own way of working out value.

One + full sized study ON the water in Canberra...there arent too many going around.

Hiya Jamie,

Doesn't make sense to me but horses for courses i suppose.

Cheers Spades.

Ps.Wb :)

I love the enthusiasm - really do wish i could share it. Its very very cold in the morning at my place!

It might be -6 in Canberra but I don't need heating! Canberra has more sunshine in winter than any other Australian city. Even now, at 8.44 am, I have the sun streaming through all my north-facing windows. It will be too hot in here by noon. Autumn, with all the beautiful deciduous trees, is the most beautiful season here.:p

That's true.

Despite the temp not creeping up too high - the sunshine today has been lovely.

Cheers

Jamie

Back