Can't access Hotmail account

I've been unable to access my hotmail account today because of a Microsoft window popping up that doesn't allow me to bypass it.

It states, "A password isn't enough. Passwords can be lost or stolen. Before you can proceed, we need a way to reach you in case something goes wrong. We won't use this to spam you – just to keep your account more secure."

Googled it and found no answers and very little reference to it.

It looks genuine, but I'm a bit suspicious.

Form wants to know alternate email, phone no, secret password (a bunch of security Q like mothers birthpalce etc.) and this message, "To add a trusted PC to your account, you need to access your account using Internet Explorer and have Windows Live Essentials installed".

Anyone else familiar with this?

Tried to access hotmail via ninemsn homepage and got in.

Then logged out to try again and got this window...

There is a problem with this website's security certificate.

The security certificate presented by this website was issued for a different website's address.

Security certificate problems may indicate an attempt to fool you or intercept any data you send to the server.

We recommend that you close this webpage and do not continue to this website.

Click here to close this webpage.
Continue to this website (not recommended).
More information

If you arrived at this page by clicking a link, check the website address in the address bar to be sure that it is the address you were expecting.
When going to a website with an address such as https://example.com, try adding the 'www' to the address, https://www.example.com.
If you choose to ignore this error and continue, do not enter private information into the website.

For more information, see "Certificate Errors" in Internet Explorer Help.

I've Had the message and been allowed to log on.

I rarely use Hotmail any more though. Gmail does a much better job of keeping the spam away- and a better job than my ISP email.

Hotmail security cert issues can arise if your system clock (time and date) are incorrect. Right click the time in the bottom right corner, select 'adjust time/date' and check to make sure it hasn't been changed which can happen due to a variety of system errors.

geoff, I ended up filling out the page and it tells me my phone no. is not authentic for the region, and doesn't let me proceed.

It accepts the security Q's which may or may not be right (tried various ones and they got accepted).

citystar, I tried my husbands pc, and get the same thing. He also uses hotmail (did this morning) and has never got this page.

Interestingly, when it comes up, I'm logged on, just can't access it unless I go through ninemsn homepage.

Yeah hotmail used to be good but it's really been spammed big-time in the last few years. I suggest changing to gmail if possible like the others have suggested (if that's possible).

The security info it's requesting is normal, should definitely use these particularly phone & alternate email, didn't know it was mandatory though, make sure the site is legit.

I've had a hotmail account since 97 as my primary email account & get very little spam, 99% of it goes to Junk, but you have to utilize their various spam filters & rules.

if you setup your spam filters then its ok but gmail i barely get spam without setting any filters

i like how you can set gmail to access all your other emails (pop3), multi sign into more than one account at the same time and set your default account to (delegate) your other gmail accounts so you dont even have to sign in to get there emails

also can sync your android phone contacts/email addresses etc

Had 2 people I know have their hotmail accounts hacked in the last 4 days. I had something pop up on my hotmail account this morning- usually I attempt to reply which will then show me the recipient address so I can check if it is Kosher. This one seemed to come from microsoft but I was suspicious anyway so I left it alone. Still have access with no probs so I don't know what's going on.

I did some Microsoft updates and the page disappeared immediately after, and all appears well now :confused:.

That's on my laptop. Haven't tried my husbands pc.

Back