Capital Gains - 2 Titles

Hi Everyone,

Have come across a property that is of interest to us and need some advice in terms of capital gains. Basically we have found a property that is selling 2 seperate titles on the one sale, one with a house and the other is vacant land. Both resi zoned.

The plan would be to go through with the purchase and then sell the vacant land off by itself straight away. Now lets say the purchase price was 600k, the house by itself was worth 450k and land was worth 250k.

What happens in terms of capital gains? In one sense we have made capital gains because we will end up with a house well under market value but on the other hand have we really made money off that one title?

Sorry if this is confusing, just trying to get my head around what would happen.

Thanks,
Andrew

You'd have to apportion the contract price to each property to form the cost base. You should be able to do this on a price per sqm basis.

adjacent land can be included in the main residence exemption in some circumstances but, i think, not if sold separately.

Hi Everyone,

Have come across a property that is of interest to us and need some advice in terms of capital gains. Basically we have found a property that is selling 2 seperate titles on the one sale, one with a house and the other is vacant land. Both resi zoned.

The plan would be to go through with the purchase and then sell the vacant land off by itself straight away. Now lets say the purchase price was 600k, the house by itself was worth 450k and land was worth 250k.

What happens in terms of capital gains? In one sense we have made capital gains because we will end up with a house well under market value but on the other hand have we really made money off that one title?

Sorry if this is confusing, just trying to get my head around what would happen.

Thanks,
Andrew

I did that once and my accountant after consulting the tax rules got me to hire a licensed valuer to officially value each title separately at time of purchase.

Back