Capital Gains and family tax benefit.

Hello,
Just wondering if anyone is able to answer my question. If my DH and I sell our PPOR and make roughly 60k in capital gains; Does the ATO consider that to be 'income' for the purposes of figuring out Family Tax Benefit?

Hello,
Just wondering if anyone is able to answer my question. If my DH and I sell our PPOR and make roughly 60k in capital gains; Does the ATO consider that to be 'income' for the purposes of figuring out Family Tax Benefit?

FTB is administered by Centrelink and they look at the adjusted family income which is different to the taxable income:
http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/internet.nsf/payments/ftb_a_iat.htm

This would be taxable income with some add backs such as losses on investment properties. Having a CG would increase your taxable income.

Hello,

Like Terry said, it does come into play. For the first time last financial year I got a big fat "nothing" in any benefit. I generally get a very small amount, but due to a sale and capital gain, for that year I missed out altogether.

Oh, yes. I thought DH was some form of investment property!

Generally capital gains on main residences are exempt from tax.

Cheers. We are just weighing up the pros and cons of selling vs turning into an IP and want to make sure we have all the info correct. :)

Back