Capital improvement or repair ? Hypotheticals

I have a few hypothetical scenarios about capital improvement.

Is removing a wall for personal taste and then tidying up the mess a capital improvement or a repair ? I mean you are subtracting material from the properties capital, that had an input cost. Then you are tidying up or repairing the wall with input capital of lesser cash value, than the value of material originally installed.

Any capital improvement then surely becomes perceptual, as technically you have actually subtracted from the capital material value of the property.

To further demonstrate this point somewhat conversely, say I knocked down all internal walls and removed the material from the premises and dumped it at the local tip. Then say I replaced all these walls with window sliding doors and blinds that actually cost more than the walls. Now perceptually, one could argue that we have now devalued the premises. Most of us would likely agree with that. Who wants sliding glass doors with blinds, as walls ? But then they cost more to install so I guess we have added capital inputs over capital outputs. You get the point. So where do we stand ?

I guess it comes to the question of what constitutes capital improvement ? is it the value of inputs contained within the buildings structure, or is it the market value as a result of change to the premises ?

Another example, say we completely demolished a smaller study with building fixtures, desk etc... that had an input current capital value of $6000 and spent $5,000 converting it into a larger extra bed room ( basically just 4 walls and a door ) . Now is that a capital improvement ? Some people like studies and some like bedrooms. Capital Inputs are now less than before. So what is it assessed on ?

1. intent ? i.e. desire to improve percieved value

2. inputs vs outputs ? i.e capital value of materials removed against materials installed.

3. results ? i.e. unit now rents for more or less as a direct result of the modification to the buildling structure regardless of cost

4. any combination of the above ?

5. none of the above ?

Just thought I would throw in a curly one for all you property accountants.

[;)]

Im no accountant but I would consider these a capital expense not a capital improvement. If the wall needed replacing due to a problem that would make the house un livable then a percentage could be justified both ways, but what you have done is not an issue of capital improvement vs repair, it's just capital cost.

OK consider this. If you just knocked out a wall and did not replace it. That would be an expense ? its a structural modification so perhaps not ? perhaps its capital improvement ?

Capital improvement is a perception of the change in price due the alteration. I see removing a wall to make the property more desirable to the target maket, it may add value, it may not. It is only a repair if the wall was damage and you had work done to it for the purpose of rectifying the problem, that includes replacing it or not. Capital cost can be an improvement or not as it is perception of value, but either way it is a capital work and not repair if it is done for no real structural purpose. As I said I'm no accountant but this is how I read it and would present it for my tax return.

Hi Hwd007,

Your examples of removing walls and 'changing rooms' are improvements, not repairs.

You would probably need a quantity surveyor if you wish to write off the 'wall' you removed to estimate the value.

The ATO is targeting 'improvements' being called 'repairs' this year.

Tread carefully.

PS: I am not an accountant but have discussed similar things with my accountant.

Cheers

Back