Car Insurance - Progressive on line

Hi All
Purchased car for my daughter yesterday, started researching comprehensive insurance cover.

She is 17, yet to get her licence, anyway as everyone knows this is a huge liability 'age' for the insurer so they bump up the premiums.

However, this is totally crazy, we have gone from $1800 pa with GIO one insurer was around $3000, the cheapest quote was with Progressive $585 pa comprehensive insurance. This is a huge price difference.

Thought I would post for those currently shopping and also interested if anyone has actually used this insurer.

Cheers
MTR

Last edited:
I have my personal car insured with them, have not made a claim but before signing up asked a number of questions and got quick emails back from their customer service.

Be aware that they require all persons residing at the premises where it is insured to be listed on the policy.

It always Surprises me the difference in Cost.
Last few times we have been quoted the Difference was around $500 per year.
This for no accidents 25-30 Age.

I have always been too lazy to review insurance for cars, homes, investments and boat. However, I am now realising I should get off my hands and start looking at this closely as I could probably save thousands.

I have always been too lazy to review insurance for cars, homes, investments and boat. However, I am now realising I should get off my hands and start looking at this closely as I could probably save thousands.

If you bought it and it's in your name, and you intend to be the main driver, then insure it in your name, and nominate her as the other driver of that vehicle :).

There's a saving of 1-2K right there.

High excess remains the same regardless of whose car the young person drives.

If you bought it and it's in your name, and you intend to be the main driver, then insure it in your name, and nominate her as the other driver of that vehicle :).

There's a saving of 1-2K right there.

High excess remains the same regardless of whose car the young person drives.

thanks, did this.

Hi All
Purchased car for my daughter yesterday, started researching comprehensive insurance cover.

She is 17, yet to get her licence, anyway as everyone knows this is a huge liability 'age' for the insurer so they bump up the premiums.

However, this is totally crazy, we have gone from $1800 pa with GIO one insurer was around $3000, the cheapest quote was with Progressive $585 pa comprehensive insurance. This is a huge price difference.

Thought I would post for those currently shopping and also interested if anyone has actually used this insurer.

Cheers
MTR

I helped my son purchase a manual car last January whilst he was 16 and learning to drive.

After much research I insured the $8700 car in my name for around $540 with RAC.

Some companies were quoting $2k-3k under his name coupled with exhorbitant excess.

Whilst he was learning any accident claim would be on me anyway as I was the supervising driver.

Anyway, once son got his 'P's earlier this month I had his name added to insurance for a small extra premium.

I was very happy with the RAC for this policy as they automatically gave him free Roadside assistance for the first year and 50% for 2nd year.

Worth considering.

I helped my son purchase a manual car last January whilst he was 16 and learning to drive.

After much research I insured the $8700 car in my name for around $540 with RAC.

Some companies were quoting $2k-3k under his name coupled with exhorbitant excess.

Whilst he was learning any accident claim would be on me anyway as I was the supervising driver.

Anyway, once son got his 'P's earlier this month I had his name added to insurance for a small extra premium.

I was very happy with the RAC for this policy as they automatically gave him free Roadside assistance for the first year and 50% for 2nd year.

Worth considering.

Thanks, I will also contact RAC.

I insured through Youi last year. The cost was competitive enough I didn't spend extra time hunting around- around $609 for a brand new car from memory.

Two weeks after I got it somebody backed into it. Youi were great and very efficient. I just took I into their assessment centre and picked it up from their chosen repairer. They paid for cab fares- I didn't have a replacement vehicle option. Youi sorted out settlement with the other person's insurer.

Most under 21's go with JustCar, insurance tailored for younger drivers. Insures any car modifications too as long as it is road legal without any increase in premium, very very low premiums compared to other insurers. Downside is they have high excesses.

My son was a Learner driver, out driving with his older sister.
He had a very small prang in a major sydney car park.

AAMI insurance hit us with 2 excessess - the standard one ( $550 from memory) and an exrtra one for inexperienced drivers, around $500.

So even if your son/daughter is added to your policies, most insurance companies have this "Inexperienced driver" excess in their small print.

Gets kind of expensive.

thing i found with youi is that they also take fines for the past 3 years into account, not just license suspensions like all the other insurance.

that can affect premium greatly

Back