Car Leasing -cash flow

Do any of you forumites lease a car? I figured you would be better off using the money towards the costs of an IP and have a appreciating assett, than ending up with a depreciating assett after 5-10 years.

Is any body buying a car under a lease arrangenent, and if so, what qualifies you to do so? What are the pros and cons, if any?

Regards

Wayne

"What is the lap record, and which way do i go?"

Wayne,

I am leasing a car through work which is probably cheaper than leasing through a dealer.

For me it was a no brainer as I am paying $75 a week for my lease car but have worked out it is only actually costing about $25 a week once I take into account petrol savings (gone from a 6cyl to a 4cyl) and that registration etc. is included in the price.

This is a small price to pay for a new car that gets changed every year and a half.

Cheers Pablo.

Hi Pablo

Can anyone lease a car or do you need an ABN associated with your work, are the lease payments in any way deductible?

Wayne

"What is the lap record, ann which way do i go?"

Wayne,

This is a special deal my employer offers us, they basically lease the cars to us at cost price as a personal car so there is no tax deduction, FBT or abn.

There are other employers that do this and some even allow you to salary sacrifice the payments but I don't know how this works.

Pablo.

Many employers have a "novated lease" arrangement. The other is an "operational lease" (op lease)

You need to do a minimum 40,000km per year or FBT will really cloud the benefits.

Keep in mind that "car lease" and "car loan" is essentially the same thing. The lease is in a compnay name, the loan is in a person's name.

Some info here:

http://www.anz.com/australia/direct/AboutLease.asp

Cheers,

The Y-man

ive never learnt the ins and outs of car leasing and the like...but it sure is strange.
my g'friends dad does such on 2 of his cars.
he drives to denmark (450kms) away almost every 2nd weekend, just to get the kms up. how ridiculous.
i go out with the gfriend, she drives, and drives up and down the freeway 3 times prior to getting back to my suburb where we go for coffee all of 1km away from home. 150kms just to get a cappucino.
total madness :eek:

the requirement to do high km's to keep your FBT down is being looked at (rightly so) as it is emitting a lot more carbon than some futile attempt to change our light globes

on this subject... what about downlights? my house has dozens of them - will i be able to buy a globe for them?

the requirement to do high km's to keep your FBT down is being looked at (rightly so) as it is emitting a lot more carbon than some futile attempt to change our light globes

on this subject... what about downlights? my house has dozens of them - will i be able to buy a globe for them?

Here you go....
http://www.ledshoponline.com/halogen_replacement.htm

(bad news - you have to change your transformer if it's on 12V!!)

Cheers,

The Y-man

YMan

I presume if you're doing this through work (for a personal car) it comes out of 'pre-tax' income?

Yes it is, but the FBT component makes this touch and go as far as being a really worhtwhile exercise unless as written above, you commute to Sydney from Melbourne or something....

Cheers,

The Y-man

You need to do a minimum 40,000km per year or FBT will really cloud the benefits.
There used to be a sliding scale. Below $15K was uneconomic, over $25K better (amounts depending on tax bracket), over $40K marginally better.

Talk to your accountant.

Novated

Hi
I'm currently on a novated lease.
The advantange of a novated lease, is that all the running expenses and loan repayments come out of my wage before tax. As i would be paying similar runing expenses no matter whether i was driving a $1000 dunger, or brand new car, the tax savings on those running expenses cover (or reduce) the lease payments.
In the case of my car (2004 VW Touareg), the car costs me nothing!!

Cheers
Locko

i have had both an Op lease and a novated lease in the past.

Op Lease was fantastic it was 13k pre tax so 9.1k or there abouts, i was doing about 25,000 a year but it didn't matter the FBT, petrol, etc... where flat fees and averaged across the fleet.

At the time to have a comfortable car would have been
$.8k cost of finance $10k of cash @ 8%,
$3.3k of fuel 25k at 11l per 100 at $1.2 (note i was using 14+l as it was all city driving)
$1.5k insurance (i was young)
$1.5k of 'depreciation'
$.6k Rego
$.8k maintance
So 8.5k (using very low numbers for the assumptions) but instead of driving a 6 year old car with potentiall risks big cash items breaking, i had a brand new car, fixed out goings and if i left the company i simply handed back the keys it was great.

Afterwards i got a novated lease as the numbers where a lot more expensive but my idea was to get a car at a decent discount (which i did) and sell it after the 3 years which based on 3 year old cars should have gotten me 55+% of original RRP vs the final payment of 45% of my discounted buy price. The problem was my situation changed, broke up with a partner who was driving the car during the week (i didn't need a car during the week), then got made redundant so instead of getting the running costs pre GST, and 70:30 pre:post tax i had to pay post tax cash for them. So my out of pocket went from being all inclusive to just finance for the car, i was only 1.5 years into it and the payments are scheduled like any loan so that not much principal had come off it.

I held it for a few months as it was paying quite a bit of principal off and i still needed a car, then managed to sell it (as i said selected a car with good resale) for about the residual lease value. The main issue was the 'extra' money i had paid early on which was supposed to be offset by the winfall at the end was just extra money i had to pay in the end.

If i was to novate lease again i would probably get a 1-3 year old car with extended factory warrenty on a 1 year lease (with intention to roll into additional 1 year leases). The big issues for me.
If your situtation changes (e.g. move office/house/lose parking/split with partner) and your KMs go down you may move brackets which will change the money you pay or worse you fail to make the bracket which means you just end up with a nice bill for a few 000' or worse 0000'.
If you are unemployeed you may end up with a rather expensive non tax favourable car loan (i was about 2 months between jobs).
If you move company while they may offer novate leasing they may not use the company you are with, the options i had was to get a total new lease which refinanced my existing lease and had about $2k in fees or i could role my existing finance into a new provider and again had about $2k in fees.

I have gone through the ‘benefit’ analysis few months back. I have attached an excel file I created to do the calculations as I didn’t trust the Noveted lease company estimates. Blue cells are the ones you can change. In my case, if I had to pay outright then I need to take the money from my investment loan’s offset account.

This is my findings:
1. My fortnightly net income is less by taking Noveted lease.
2. I was better of by about 8K after 3 years.

Attachments

• NovetedLeaseCalculationsGeneral.xls
    25.5 KB · Views: 127
Many employers have a "novated lease" arrangement. The other is an "operational lease" (op lease)

This is true for expensive vehicles. The FBT on the following would very likely be nil:

• 20k cost for car
  • Salary sacrifice lease payments
  • All other expenses paid directly by employee (fuel, maint, insurance, etc)

a better outcome would probably be to have an entity that you control that is CF+ and just put a work vehicle in there. contribute away the FBT, or get an FBT free vehichle.

other option is buy the 5 year old style clanger and just pay your FBT on the 20% which would be negligible and let the entity pay whatever it costs to maintain the clanger.

other option is buy the 5 year old style clanger and just pay your FBT on the 20% which would be negligible and let the entity pay whatever it costs to maintain the clanger.

Haha. Does 5 years old qualify as "clanger" these days?

I actually do have a clanger - 18 years and still going strong! Must be because it's red.

strong I am sure... not much in the way of crumple zones at all! At 5 years cars are pretty much at the end of their economic life and ready to be taken on by people who have the time and patience to take a chance on them and endure the headaches of breakdowns, costly repairs etc. Pick this up for $5k for example... it would probably be fine but those miles are gettign up there and you wouldn't want your busienss relying on it

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars..._String|0&keywords=&YearToShort=1680&__N=1216 1247 1252 1282 4294964597 1650 1680 4294964376&SearchAction=N&silo=1011&seot=1&__Nne=15&trecs=121&__sid=12ED6249CA00

Back