Car rental

I have had reason the rent a car a few times over the last year and have discovered a way to save money.

I have found the biggest slug comes in taking out the extra insurance to bring the excess down from $3000 to $300 if you have an accident.

Usually about $26 a day for this insurance.

ANZ offers a yearly fee that covers this insurance if you use their credit card. The fee is an annual $26. Car hire for one day per year makes this worthwhile.

Hope this helps, not connected with ANZ.

Scott

And speaking of travel insurance. Don't just shrug it off as an extra you pay to the travel agent (or even the web site) which sells you your trip. You can buy it separately, quite often much cheaper. MrsW, who was a travel agent who could get good travel insurance disocounts, still found it cheaper to book insurance through NRMA.

Agents can make more commission on the add ons than they do on the flights. So pay them at least as much attention as you do to the air fares.

Fine Print

Make sure you read the fine print with regards to travel insurance and car rentals.

The travel insurance I have seen will pay your excess after you have taken the highest level of cover offered by the car rental company.

Most car rental companies offer a no excess cover that is very expensive. You have to take this cover for the travel insurance to be valid.

It is next to useless, if you take the highest cover there is no excess to pay.

But if you don't take the cover from the car rental company and there is an excess to pay, the travel insurance is void because you didn't take the highest cover.

This is the case with the travel insurance used by the company I work for.

Regards
A

Back