carpet versus timber floor? and what color carpet for modern unit.

can you tell me your expereince of carpet versus timber floor?

i like carpet for warmth and is quieter when peole walk on it
but timber floor looks nice and bright and is meant to be healthier and meant to last longer

and what color carpet for modern unit. and does wool or synthetic look an last better?

do you need to sugar soap walls before painting them is it better to ?

Paula

not unless the walls are greasy or obviously dirty ... no point otherwise.

as for flooring - be careful of floorboards in units, they can be very noisy for the downstairs neighbour.

carpet? depends if it's for a ppor or rental. for a rental i still like to use a speckled berber as they don't show the marks ... but for a ppor the light cream short shag look is very in.

Timber floors are always more popular with tenants in my experience.

carpet - go for a poly blend that can withstand steam cleaning every 6 - 12 months with tenant change overs. Wool while look good and i would put them in my own home dont hold up well to the constant cleaning.

Only sugar soap if the walls are dirty/greasy

thanks for all of that. it is for himself to live in .

the units share walls with other units but not other floors .

it is a multilevel actually 3 level unit so he himself would suffer the noise of timber floors.

thanks for all that

paula

If your renting the property out then i would go for timber floors for all of the above reasons. Last time i went to the paint shop and asked about cleaning walls they said "DONT" use sugar soap. Apparently the new paint doesn't like it. Stick with water or some detergent if they are filthy :)

Cheers Banjo

BanjoSmyth.com

SharesPropertyMoney.com

Another point on painting.

Gloss enamel / acrylic ( the stuff they use on door frames, etc) doesn't like to be painted over with acrylic wall paint, usually it will chip or peel off once dry. You can get away with it for a cheap nasty reno but if you are keeping it or living in it or want to paint over it again.

Give the gloss paint a quick scuff with sandpaper to give the new paint something to stick to. And for the perfectionists out there whack on some undercoat as well.

And painting stained / varnished timber, often in the old places the varnish will seep through the paint and give you a dirty streaky apperance, need to get the sander out and remove the varnish. Maybe try a good undercoat, but I've just sanded it off with a cheap $30 Ozito finishing sander, 2yr warranty.

Cheers
quoll

can you tell me your expereince of carpet versus timber floor?

i like carpet for warmth and is quieter when peole walk on it
but timber floor looks nice and bright and is meant to be healthier and meant to last longer

and what color carpet for modern unit. and does wool or synthetic look an last better?

Paula

Hi Paula,

Carpet : definitely poly or nylon (dearer) Not wool. Go low pile.
Wood floors: great.
In Queensland where I am, most go for tiles right thru except in the bedrooms. Very durable.
May may different where u are.

thanks so much for everyone who posted its very helpful

thanks so much for everyone who posted. that information is very useful.

Much appreciated

Paula.

Hi Paula,

Carpet : definitely poly or nylon (dearer) Not wool. Go low pile.
Wood floors: great.
In Queensland where I am, most go for tiles right thru except in the bedrooms. Very durable.
May may different where u are.

I went to uni in queensland and quite liked the all tile look & feel. but as soon as i started in real estate in NSW i quickly discovered people dont like the all tile look. We only have a few places with tiles in the living areas and they are always hard to lease... too cold, too stark etc etc. its a shame because they are so durable and great for a rental in my opinion.

Back