Carrum Downs

Pros & Cons?
Found somthing reasonably priced that I like but worried that there isn't a train station close.
It does have buses, do you think this area will have much growth?
It's between Thompsons Rd and Hall Rd just off Dandenong/Frankston Rd

[
do you think this area will have much growth?

yes :)....how much growth and how quick...who knows?

i live and invest in "the downs" and am surprised that people question its "+ves"

For $250-$300k you can get a less than 8 year old "house on its own block"...$270-$310 per week rental return and handy depreciation being newer than some other similarly priced areas.

There has been an upgraded bus service just recently, and i have noticed the construction of those electronic bus terminals with timetable info popping up around the area also.

Still affordable and holding value, rents increasing.

There is a slight disparity in the area in that there is a truckload of unit development going on, and these units are asking similar prices off the plan to asking prices of not that old larger houses on their own dirt.....i will let you ponder what that might mean....

supply of vacant land for sale in the area has dwindled to not much, with blocks selling for 170k in a small subdivision that were selling for $130when first stage was released about 2 years ago...assuming they sell for those prices thats 30% growth.

i like "the downs"....with eastlink, its a shorter trip to eveywhere :)

Hi RT.

Whilst I agree that a train station is desirable, not everyone is reliant on trains, and those that are can acess train stations by bus or car.

Not all "good" suburbs have train stations.

Regards
Marty

Carrum Downs!

Can you smell the poo farm from Carrum Downs?
How about Sandhurst?

I'd prefer to buy on a trainline but the sad fact is I can't afford a 3 bed House near a trainline s/e of the city Toony.

If you had to choose would you buy in Carrum Downs or Cranbourne?
Cranbourne has a trainline

Carrum Downs!

Can you smell the poo farm from Carrum Downs?
How about Sandhurst?

I'd prefer to buy on a trainline but the sad fact is I can't afford a 3 bed House near a trainline s/e of the city Toony.

If you had to choose would you buy in Carrum Downs or Cranbourne?
Cranbourne has a trainline

Hi Righteous Toss,

Can I ask why you have chosen Carrum Downs and Cranbourne.

Carrum Downs has an abundance of land, it is rough and yes after speaking to friends who used to live there, they have said on occasions the smell of poo did waft through. Very small shopping centre, smaller than Karingals, No Tafe, Uni, Train line, etc..

As for Cranbourne, Major power lines go right through there, houses squashed together, only one shopping centre exists, which is smaller than Karingals, abundance of land yet to be developed and even further away from the beach.

Toni

Last edited:
Because i'm after a 3 bedroom house and the only other option seems to be Cranbourne if i'm looking at the $210-230k price range. Do you think i'd be better off holding out and getting a two bedroom unit on the right side of the tracks? Frankston/Seaford? Or going with the House and land in Pootown?

What are you looking for? A PPOR or an investment property. I too would avoid Carrum Downs and Cranbourne. For investment purposes - I believe you could buy a two bed unit in Frankston for the same amount. I would prefer a 2 bed unit, thats near beach and station in Frankston - preferably Sth Frankston.

I am sure you would be able to purchase a run down 3 bdrm in Karingal for around the $230. Sometimes it is a matter of being in the right place at the right time. Will look into this now for you.

Toni

Hi Righteous Toss,

Can I ask why you have chosen Carrum Downs and Cranbourne.

Carrum Downs has an abundance of land, it is rough and only one strip of shops in the area and yes after speaking to friends who used to live there, they have said on occasions the smell of poo did waft through. No Myer, Target, Tafe, Unit, Train line, etc..

As for Cranbourne, Major power lines go right through there, houses squashed together, only one shopping centre exists, which is smaller than Karingals, abundance of land yet to be developed and even further away from the beach.

Toni

Hi Toni,
See my post above regarding Carrum Downs, there is definitely not an abundance of res 1 land, there are virtually no residential blocks to build on and they are worth about 30% more than 2 years ago and alot of the surrounding area is zoned green wedge.

There are actually 3 separate "shopping centres" within the suburb of Carrum Downs, hall road has a Safeway and a Maxi and other small retail, Ballarto road has a brand new (opened about a month ago)Coles and other small retail specialty shops and Frankston Dandy road has an IGA and all are within easy reach of everyone.

And as someone who actually lives here now...the "poo" smell is something i am yet to experience....(i have been here for 3 years), you get that smell down nearer to patterson lakes near the Frankston freeway as you pass the treatment plant definitely, but this isnt carrum downs.

Define "rough".....

Why do you need a myer, target, kmart, uni, tafe or train line...seriously?

i still think for an area offering less than 10 year old homes on thier own land 6kms from beach, in betwen 2 major activity centres (frankston and dandenong), with convenient shops a walk or short car trip away, right next to eastlink with solid rental return....for between 250k-300k.....its a pretty good deal :)

But i am biased:)

Cheers,

Message from the Agent

"no worries as there is a heap of buyers who want to check out the property. I feel that you will let a Golden Opourtunity slip by'

Hope he isn't right

Hi Toni,
See my post above regarding Carrum Downs, there is definitely not an abundance of res 1 land, there are virtually no residential blocks to build on and they are worth about 30% more than 2 years ago and alot of the surrounding area is zoned green wedge.

There are actually 3 separate "shopping centres" within the suburb of Carrum Downs, hall road has a Safeway and a Maxi and other small retail, Ballarto road has a brand new (opened about a month ago)Coles and other small retail specialty shops and Frankston Dandy road has an IGA and all are within easy reach of everyone.

And as someone who actually lives here now...the "poo" smell is something i am yet to experience....(i have been here for 3 years), you get that smell down nearer to patterson lakes near the Frankston freeway as you pass the treatment plant definitely, but this isnt carrum downs.

Define "rough".....

Why do you need a myer, target, kmart, uni, tafe or train line...seriously?

i still think for an area offering less than 10 year old homes on thier own land 6kms from beach, in betwen 2 major activity centres (frankston and dandenong), with convenient shops a walk or short car trip away, right next to eastlink with solid rental return....for between 250k-300k.....its a pretty good deal :)

But i am biased:)

Cheers,

Hi Natedog

What does virtually no residential building blocks mean. Is there still land available and if so, how many?

As far as shopping complexes go, there is only one decent size shopping centre there and that is smaller than Karingal.

Now for the poo smell, my friend lived in Cockatoo Drive, Carrum Downs and in summer, could smell the poo! Whilst this was only an occasional waft, it was there.

Whether we like it or not, infrastructure, major shopping complexes, hospitals, Unis, Tafe etc. are what people look for when choosing an area to live in or rent. This does have an impact both on purchase, rental price and re-sale value.

Also in light of rising petrol prices, it will be a necessity for future needs to be close to these amenities and I can see this as being a driving force in future living and/or investment choices.

As far as Carrum Downs goes, price wise you are getting a newer home for the dollar and I can see how this could be attractive to people choosing a place to live and you are right,, you are between two major business centres, being Dandenong and Frankston.

However, as far as investment goes, I personally would prefer to buy an older home in an area that has it all.

Toni

Hi Natedog

What does virtually no residential building blocks mean. Is there still land available and if so, how many?

As far as shopping complexes go, there is only one decent size shopping centre there and that is smaller than Karingal.

Now for the poo smell, my friend lived in Cockatoo Drive, Carrum Downs and in summer, could smell the poo! Whilst this was only an occasional waft, it was there.

Whether we like it or not, infrastructure, major shopping complexes, hospitals, Unis, Tafe etc. are what people look for when choosing an area to live in or rent. This does have an impact both on purchase, rental price and re-sale value.

Also in light of rising petrol prices, it will be a necessity for future needs to be close to these amenities and I can see this as being a driving force in future living and/or investment choices.

As far as Carrum Downs goes, price wise you are getting a newer home for the dollar and I can see how this could be attractive to people choosing a place to live and you are right,, you are between two major business centres, being Dandenong and Frankston.

However, as far as investment goes, I personally would prefer to buy an older home in an area that has it all.

Toni

Hi Toni,

7 vacant blocks on a quick realestate.com.au search........why do you want me to be so specific now, your first post about about Carrum Downs was general and inaccurate.

Your words below....

"""Carrum Downs has an abundance of land, is rough and has only 1 strip of shops""""

There are 3 shopping centres and they are definitely smaller than Karingal, but there are still 3 shopping centres within easy reach within the actual boundaries of Carrum Downs to do the everyday shopping, you could walk to any of them aswell as the small strip shopping on the corner of Frankston Dandy road bordering seaford.

Its easy to talk up areas that we personally have a vested interest in and talk down other areas we have ruled out "personally"....but calling Carrum Downs "rough" and having an abundance of land, is just not accurate...so please try and keep it factual.

I understand you love Frankston and all it has to offer, but its not the only place to invest in or live.

Cheers,

Hi Toni,

7 vacant blocks on a quick realestate.com.au search........why do you want me to be so specific now, your first post about about Carrum Downs was general and inaccurate.

Your words below....

"""Carrum Downs has an abundance of land, is rough and has only 1 strip of shops""""

There are 3 shopping centres and they are definitely smaller than Karingal, but there are still 3 shopping centres within easy reach within the actual boundaries of Carrum Downs to do the everyday shopping, you could walk to any of them aswell as the small strip shopping on the corner of Frankston Dandy road bordering seaford.

Its easy to talk up areas that we personally have a vested interest in and talk down other areas we have ruled out "personally"....but calling Carrum Downs "rough" and having an abundance of land, is just not accurate...so please try and keep it factual.

I understand you love Frankston and all it has to offer, but its not the only place to invest in or live.

Cheers,

I have looked at all areas around here for investment and have chosen Frankston for obvious reasons. When I looked last year at Carrum Downs, there was an abundance of land and that and many other reasons were why I chose not to invest there.

Toni

Hi Toni,
Fair enough....you made an assessment based on all the info you had in front of you at the time you were prepared to put down your money and made a decision based on what you were comfortable with....like everyone does :)

Just defending my own back yard really :) nothing pesonal meant by it at all.

i love Frankston too :)

Cheers,

IMHO, there is not a lot of distance from Carrum Downs to Frankston (any part of Frankston). Can't see the big deal.

Re the beach and proximity to shops, once again, can't see the big deal. If I go get groceries, I have to drive there anyway, so a few extra minutes (either way) isn't personally going to bother me.

Regards
Marty

**Disclaimer** I do have an IP in Carrum Downs, and the above reasoning were MY thoughts after looking around the Frankston area prior to purchasing, i.e, they are so close together when comparing travelling times etc that it wasn't a big issue.

Back