cars for a family with 3 kids

Hello,
We had a Honda CRV (2010) but it is written off now. So back to car shopping again. Our budget is about 40 k. We need to fit 3 baby seats. Safety is the most important factor. Any one has any suggestions?

~ devank

One of my friends had a similar requirement and chose Kia Sportage over CRV, Santa Fe and Rav4.
He was also looking at safety, quality and budget.

Ford Falcon or Holden Commodore. For that budget you can buy brand new, or save 50% and buy 2-3 years old. Safety is excellent, and both are large and comfortable but cheap to run.

They are plenty wide enough for 3 kiddie seats and have lots of boot space. The commodore can even be had as a wagon if you prefer.

Hello,
We had a Honda CRV (2010) but it is written off now. So back to car shopping again. Our budget is about 40 k. We need to fit 3 baby seats. Safety is the most important factor. Any one has any suggestions?

~ devank

Love the Subarus - a Forester is excellent.
Also the Hyundai i35 and Sante Fe also good buys
Fitting 3 car seats can be a squeeze in many a car is a hassle and it can come down to the choice of car seats. Spending $600 to get slimmer seats can save money in the long run.

Sante Fe also good buys
I love my santa fe - so much space, drives well and is cheap to run due to the diesel engine. Plenty of space for kids - and the boot is massive. I can't really fault it.

If you go for an older model - around 08/09 and you'll pick up a bargain. A newer model will set you back a bit.

Cheers

Jamie

forester wont fit 3 kids plus seats! we tried and had to sell ours! we then tried the i35 - nope, fail there along with the Santa Fe.

i have an R51 turbo diesel Nissan Pathfinder 7 seat wagon.

Goes anywhere, drives awesome and is big enough for 3 kids plus seats plus dog plus camping gear plus eskies.

Most of the cars mentioned won't fit three car seats. We have 3yo triplets and researched this pretty extensively. It really comes down to the Commodore/Falcon and then the SUV's like Kluger/Territory or whatever you can afford thats larger.

We have a 2010 Kluger and the 3 car seats just fit, however, they were on the larger size for car seats. Capacity in the boot is great and the seven seat option has proved invaluable whenever we need to move an additional kid or grandparent.

Chers
Justin

Our 2001 Prado only just fits three seats in the back. Foresters, Rav4s etc definitely won't do that - even one rear facing capsule is a challenge if the front seat passenger wants any leg room.

With the Prado we have room for a dog, the camping gear and hitch the bikes on the back for holidays. Cost us $19k eight years ago and hasn't missed a beat since. Probably worth about $11k now - $1k per year in depreciation is something I can live with! And we don't get too worried when things inevitably get messy in the back between the kids, the dog and all the associated paraphernalia...

Nothing beats the Commodore or Falcon for room for your budget. When our kids were in car seats we, like most image conscious young parents today, bought an SUV as we didn't want to be seen in a 'bogan' car like a Falcon or Commodore :eek:. Problem was, the SUV had no room. SQUASHED was an uderstatement! Car seats for babies soon have to be replaced with booster seats for toddlers (or until a child turns 7 years old in the likes of NSW) and take up a lot of room obviously and I don't know if you'd get three of them side-by-side in anything so perhaps you may need to look at a 4WD (Territory or Captiva might be in your price range?) with the extra row of seats in the back.

Ironically, we recently bought a 2 year old 'big aussie 6 bogan car'. So much room now. Wish we'd had it when the kids were younger and not let our pride get in the way :eek::D.

Tarago, Kluger or Territory. Once you are used to sitting up higher it's hard to go back to a sedan. We have a 200 series landcruiser which is brilliant for 3 child seats with arm rests & stubbie holders, but too big for some.

Tarago, Kluger or Territory. Once you are used to sitting up higher it's hard to go back to a sedan. We have a 200 series landcruiser which is brilliant for 3 child seats with arm rests & stubbie holders, but too big for some.
We bought a 3 year old Toyota Kluger Altitude AWD last April; 33,00km's on the clock for $42k on the road, so these cars are around your budget.

Terrific car, quiet, steers like a sedan, dvd in the roof etc, and we have 3 kids.

A little small on boot space if you use the 7-seat configuration, but all these cars are similar from that perspective.

As a 5 seater it's great.

Friends just bought a 7 seat Kluger (new) for less than $40k, or a 7 sear Mazda CX-9 for around $42k would be 2 of the better options imo.

Ford Territory

We love our 7 seater Ford Territory. Only use the 2 back seats when we need too. Kids are now 12 and 13. We have now had the car for 5 years.

Third vote for falcodores. our 2005 Falcon wagon regularly hold 3 car seats in the back with room for an array of prams, nappy bags and shopping in the boot.

Korean cars have picked up in quality a lot, I wouldn't have an issue with them.

The Kluger is a tough and reliable choice as well.

I think the 'Dore wagon might be a bit small for you

I would never have said this in a previous life.........but I reckon the Kia Grand Carnival is one of the best all round (non off roaders) that I've ever driven.

We've had one as a company car for last couple of years - and it sure surprised me!

Tows our caravan - no problems - can accelerate up hills as if it's not there.
Drags at the lights - no problems - can beat most things.
Child Seats - no problems - can fit 5 I believe.
Has sliding doors boths sides.
It has serious room inside for kids & all their stuff, really comfortable compared to the previous Ford BA we had.

And if you want more room - ALL rear seats can actually be removed quite easily and you have an instant flat bed that'll fit another car in!

I just love the flexibility and power it has.
Only possible downsides is it's not 4x4 & perhaps the fuel consumption - but then I'm use to LPG in a Ford.

On the car seat note - the width of car seats varies greatly.
It takes some research (and a measuring tape) but there are seats which are 44cm wide but still ample room. You can fit 3 of these accross the back of a Camry/Sante Fe/Tribeca.
I needed to fit 2 car seats plus a 13yo who is now 5'7. He's bigger than a 3rd baby seat lol! So for now we have a 7 seater. Once DS7 and DD5 are out of seats then we can go back to a 5 seater or just stay in 7 seater mode

Back