cars for a family with 3 kids

Please don't buy a 4WD. We don't need more of those big, ugly things on the road that break up the roads so much and block the vision of all the drivers in "normal" cars behind them. I really hate being on the road with 4WD's, it just feels like I'm going to die if I even have a minor bingle with them.

Hahaha.

That's the funniest thing I've ever heard!!!

If 4WD's break up the roads, just imaging what trucks and buses must do :eek::eek::eek:

It's amazing that we have any roads left to be honest...!!!

Had a look at the peugeot 4007. It is a nice vehicle but last two seats aren't that great. They are very clumsy. I wouldn't ask my children to sit on it on a long drive. We found a 2011 model with 30,000 Kms for 34K. 2012 model with less than 1000 Kms are above 40K mark.

Why would you pay a premium for what is essentially a Mitsubishi??

Why would you pay a premium for what is essentially a Mitsubishi??
With regards to the 2012 model (peugeot 4007) I think the body is by Mitsubishi but the engine is still peugeot. 2012 Outlander doesn't come in diesel. Also you pay a little for the badge.
Suburu sales guy was saying that diesel vehicles needs to be driven at 110km/h for 20 min weekly. Otherwise the filter needs to be changed often. Is there any truth in it?

2 baby seats and an adult(in the back seat) managed pretty comfortably in my Camry touring last weekend. I am sure most SUVs will do just fine.

With regards to the 2012 model (peugeot 4007) I think the body is by Mitsubishi but the engine is still peugeot. 2012 Outlander doesn't come in diesel. Also you pay a little for the badge.
Suburu sales guy was saying that diesel vehicles needs to be driven at 110km/h for 20 min weekly. Otherwise the filter needs to be changed often. Is there any truth in it?

Yes. And thank god a car dealer is actually raising this. So many ignore it.

The DPF essentially stores up soot built up in daily driving in a diesel engine. A longish high speed run is required to burn this off (very simple and paraphrased explanation).

The worst car you can buy for just running around the city is a modern diesel for this very reason.

For my driving a diesel is suited, and my next car will probably be a diesel as I do 200kms on the F3 2-3 times a week. If I was just running around a suburb there is no way I would get a diesel.

It is a pretty expensive repair, unless you go for a custom remap of the engine tuning with a DPF delete file. This has the plus of creating more power and removing the DPF but the minus of bringing back all the diesel particles which are bad for health.

2 baby seats and an adult(in the back seat) managed pretty comfortably in my Camry touring last weekend. I am sure most SUVs will do just fine.

Was your wife sitting in the middle? I'm 5'11... It is not fun to crawl to the middle seat.

SUVs like foresters or x-trail are about 1790 mm wide where as cx5 or crv are 1820mm. Every cm makes a difference. Also the way some seats are designed also makes a difference. Some seats are too curvy then the baby seat can't go all the way in.

How did they get the keys to your car?
Are there other keys on the ring also, such as house keys?

I caught him inside my house, unfortunately he didn't have a shirt on and was short haired and skinny, I couldn't grab on to anything.

Police caught him in another stolen car, he did a runner, dog squad got him. Keys in pocket. He won't tell them where he parked it. They use the cars to do over houses.

I caught him inside my house, unfortunately he didn't have a shirt on and was short haired and skinny, I couldn't grab on to anything.

Police caught him in another stolen car, he did a runner, dog squad got him. Keys in pocket. He won't tell them where he parked it. They use the cars to do over houses.

That's pretty scary.
Does it worry you, they knew where the keys were?
I'd be thinking, he is a friend/acquaintance of somebody you know.

It's good that no one was physically hurt.
Hopefully they didn't also have your house keys on it (and made copies)

Edit:
Here at the Roadhouse, so many men leave their keys, wallets and phones on the bar counter, and then go outside for a smoke. They aren't concerned at all about somebody stealing anything.There isn't always someone in there to watch their stuff. I find that so odd.

Mu wife had left her phone in the car that night, she went out to get the phone and when she came back in she left the keys on the side table in the entrance way.

Was your wife sitting in the middle? I'm 5'11... It is not fun to crawl to the middle seat.

SUVs like foresters or x-trail are about 1790 mm wide where as cx5 or crv are 1820mm. Every cm makes a difference. Also the way some seats are designed also makes a difference. Some seats are too curvy then the baby seat can't go all the way in.

Wife drives :)
And the baby seats were on the middle and side seats. So no crawling involved for the adult. I agree that if you are tall (well built), every extra cm matters.

We have a Calais and it is huge. I joke that you could have a party in the back seat.

Sitting in the back seat you can almost outstretch your legs and not touch the seat in front. The boot is huge too.

You could easily fit 3 carseats in the back.... all round its an awesome car.

I have the statesman and have had three child seats in the back up to last year ,
There is the room but we had to buy a couple of extensions for the seatbelts,something we aren't able to do for the pajero exceed.

We got a new suburu forester 2012 model ( X luxury ) + full tint + sat nav, reverse camera & DVD for $33,500 drive away. We may get slightly better price somewhere else but hired car was costing about $65.00 each day. All three seats are fitting with great struggle. Boot room is not enough for long trips. We are planning to hire grand carnival type of vehicle for that purpose.
Thank you everyone for your help :)

We got a new suburu forester 2012 model ( X luxury ) + full tint + sat nav, reverse camera & DVD for $33,500 drive away. We may get slightly better price somewhere else but hired car was costing about $65.00 each day. All three seats are fitting with great struggle. Boot room is not enough for long trips. We are planning to hire grand carnival type of vehicle for that purpose.
Thank you everyone for your help :)

Look into the Maxi Cosi Complete Air, or Baby Love Prelude/EzySwitch for a 0-4+ well crash test, narrowish 5pt buckle car seat. The SnS Highliner works well as a narrow booster seat.

Hello,
We had a Honda CRV (2010) but it is written off now. So back to car shopping again. Our budget is about 40 k. We need to fit 3 baby seats. Safety is the most important factor. Any one has any suggestions?

~ devank

Hyundai Imax (Diesel) all the way.

Important point> whatever you end up settling on, make sure the back has room for a pram.

Most dont.

Thank you for this! I made a order. Most seats are 46+cm. This one is 42cm. Hopefully the 4cm saving is enough. Unfortunately this one doesn't have the cup holder though :p

You might also find a seatbelt extender handy - there are some with rigid stalks which click into the female part so that they are higher and easier to reach for the booster.
I've lost a fair amount of skin on my hands reaching between seats to find the seat belt.
There are a heap on ebay
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Seat-Bel...el_Merchandise&var&hash=item23266c8133&_uhb=1

I've lost a fair amount of skin on my hands reaching between seats to find the seat belt.
There are a heap on ebay
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Seat-Bel...el_Merchandise&var&hash=item23266c8133&_uhb=1

same here :D

Do you think forester belts are different to outback ones?
They have listed specifically for Forester Rear Window which costs a little more. I'm not sure if it is a way to make more money or there are actually different. They do have a code '9Mr4' though.

Edit: Just ordered the exact one even though it is almost double the price. Don't want to take any risks.

Back